C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions for a new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
bonrox
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions for a new purchase

I am new to this board. I currently have a 90 convertible and I am picking up an 04 convertible with 1,800 miles on it. I will get it mid March. While I left the current one stock, I am planning on modding this one. I am looking for ideas, recomendations and opinions on routes to take. Supercharge vs. twin turbo, exhaust, etc...

The car is 2004 convertible, six speed manual. All stock except Z06 injectors in it. I would be using it for general use (highway), so gas mileage is important. I would like to pick it up to, between 5-600 hp. I would also like to keep the cost under 15K and not have to mod the hood. More of a road car setup than a drag.

It's been 30 years since I have made a muscle car, and I am not real familiar with the new technologies. I do, however, learn very fast. So give me a path, and the pros/cons of it, and I will do what I can to build a super-vette.

-Thanks guys-
Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Heads, Cam, Supercharger, Headers, and exhaust. 500-600hp easily for under 15k
Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
DBL001
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

when your talking hp do you mean rwhp or at the crank/ 500-600 rwhp you may want to consider upgrading some driveline components as well, at the very least a clutch that can handle that. Why not start with basics like intake and exhaust, cold air induction/better TB/better intake(01-04 have the LS6 intake) headers/hi-flow cats/and some sort of cat back. As stated in the post above mine, a supercharger or TT will get you there but it's pricey, unless you do your own install. Ex: SC = approx. 7-9 G installed and TT 2-3K more,BTW Paxton makes a blower that will fit under the stock hood, call ECS in NJ and they can give you the details. But anyway you may want to do other things to the car besides just making it go fast, like suspension or some new wheels. I'm going a slower route to see where I want the car to end up without going to far, and it also allows me to save for each project which is not the same issue for everyone. At this time I want to end up about 450 rwhp, best bang for the buck so far has been a gear change to 4.10...good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited by DBL001; 02-14-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DBL001
when your talking hp do you mean rwhp or at the crank/ 500-600 rwhp you may want to consider upgrading some driveline components as well, at the very least a clutch that can handle that. Why not start with basics like intake and exhaust, cold air induction/better TB/better intake(01-04 have the LS6 intake) headers/hi-flow cats/and some sort of cat back. As stated in the post above mine, a supercharger or TT will get you there but it's pricey, unless you do your own install. Ex: SC = approx. 7-9 G installed and TT 2-3K more,BTW Paxton makes a blower that will fit under the stock hood, call ECS in NJ and they can give you the details. But anyway you may want to do other things to the car besides just making it go fast, like suspension or some new wheels. I'm going a slower route to see where I want the car to end up without going to far, and it also allows me to save for each project which is not the same issue for everyone. At this time I want to end up about 450 rwhp, best bang for the buck so far has been a gear change to 4.10...good luck whatever you decide!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by screw991le
Heads, Cam, Supercharger, Headers, and exhaust. 500-600hp easily for under 15k
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
bonrox
Cruising

Originally Posted by DBL001
I'm going a slower route to see where I want the car to end up without going to far
That is exactly why I asked the question. I don't want to throw a whole lot of power to the rear, just to blow the clutch or trans out. I do want to keep things balanced.

I do plan on doing most of the work myself, except for the tuning, which I will seek out someone good for that.

This is my new toy. I finished building a hovercraft last year and I am board now.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bonrox
I am new to this board. I currently have a 90 convertible and I am picking up an 04 convertible with 1,800 miles on it. I will get it mid March. While I left the current one stock, I am planning on modding this one. I am looking for ideas, recomendations and opinions on routes to take. Supercharge vs. twin turbo, exhaust, etc...

The car is 2004 convertible, six speed manual. All stock except Z06 injectors in it. I would be using it for general use (highway), so gas mileage is important. I would like to pick it up to, between 5-600 hp. I would also like to keep the cost under 15K and not have to mod the hood. More of a road car setup than a drag.

It's been 30 years since I have made a muscle car, and I am not real familiar with the new technologies. I do, however, learn very fast. So give me a path, and the pros/cons of it, and I will do what I can to build a super-vette.

-Thanks guys-
Put a supercharger on it, but if gas milage is important, then 500 to 600 HP shouldn't be.....bob.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default new purchase

I just wonder why a 2004 vette with 1800 miles had the injectors replaced with Z06 injectors?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
bonrox
Cruising

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
I just wonder why a 2004 vette with 1800 miles had the injectors replaced with Z06 injectors?
The guy who owns it, is a real tinker type person. He could probably build 2 more vettes with the parts he has in his garage. He would only need the frames. He actually has a Z06, a wrecked Z06 and mine in his garage right now.

If I didn't trust this guy totally, I would be asking the same question. But I have known him for 15 years or so, and I do trust him. He also changed the seats and some other things.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Billf6531
Pro

If it's to be a road car, consider a matched heads/cam/header setup first, before you do anything else. Look for a setup that maximizes low RPM torque. If you're an old muscle car nut, you'll know what I mean when I say that HP is nice, but it's the torque that gets you there quickly, and it's the torque that you feel everytime you drive the car. HP is just for dyno bragging. My guess is that you won't then take the next step to FI.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you do.

Get notified of new replies

To Need opinions for a new purchase

Quick Reply: Need opinions for a new purchase