C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed My Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:35 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Once the fuel level gets down below 1/2, it gets erratic. Usually accurate, but suddenly it'll drop to empty.

Have a good one,
Mike

There is a PCM update to help "calm down" the sensitivity of the gage throwing a trouble code and making the gage go to "E". Of course, keeping the sensor's clean is going to help alot.

Here's whats happening.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60056
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Great informative article, thanks.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Robletto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5GARY
Guys,
They all have this problem and the best thing to do is.. NOTHING
GM has never found a good fix. In my '99 all you have to do is turn it off and turn it back on again. Rest the computer. The problem comes from the two sensors slightly hanging up, they must move in the correct sequence and in the right time frame or the computer flags it and shuts down the gauge because it thinks you MAY have a real problem.
You can pour in Techron until the engine starts running bad, you can buy the most expensive gas you can find but it isn't going to fix it.
I will tell you what WILL fix it and that is just time and miles. As the hinge points on the sensors wear they won't hang up anymore! At now >100K, I can't remember the last time mine had the problem, and I am still using the absolute cheapest gas and running the same sensors that were put in in April 1999 at the factory. JUST GO DRIVIN!
Gary
me too ! 1999
Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used HPTuners to zero out the relevant codes in the PCM. You shure can delete the codes using the DIC and the onboard feature, but codes and the problem will come back for shure!

You can use HPTuners (or LS1 Edit) to set the codes to "no error reported", and the problem will never come back again... at least the PCm will not care anymor for those codes!
I did that two years ago and never got the dropping fuel gauge, and the needle always shows the correct amount of fuel.

I recorded the codes i deleted, will post them this afternoon...

Take care,

Jochen
Old 10-05-2007, 02:27 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Well turns out there are 2 kinds of Techron, the normal stuff, and a bottle labeled Techron Plus. On the plus bottle it specifically says that it removes sulpher deposits that can harm modern fuel level sensors. Apparently that's what makes it "plus". The folks over on Corvettemechanic.com recommend it and say it's pretty much the same formulation as the latest GM fuel system cleaner they use at the dealerships.

Comming home from work yesterday I got 3 "treats 12 gallons" bottles. I put 2 in my tank which had 1/4 tank and then filled up. Gas guage went to full and seems to be working.

I hope this helps the issue... car has been fine for 75,000 miles until now! Of course the wierd electrical **** starts to happen when the extended warranty is gone and I put a cam in
Exactly correct. I didn't know this at first either. From now on we all should specify "PLUS" when suggesting Techron.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Hi,

you need somebody who has a PCM editing software, like HPTuners or LS1Edit.
With that software you can modify the reaction the pcm does once a dtc is thrown.

In HPTuners you just have to set the codes P0461 ond P1431 to value "3", which means: now error reported to the pcm.

Thats it. Whenever this codes are thrown (they are responsible for making the fuel gauge go crazy) the pcm will just ignore them.

It is not really a fix to the problem, but the fuel gauge will stop making crazy things and no MIL will come on anymore...

Hope that helps...

Jochen
Old 10-06-2007, 03:02 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
It's bad gas
I put $10.00 worth of no name gas in a very empty tank, just to get me to a name brand station. The gauge stayed on empty till I filled up with good gas. Gauge went to full and never had any problems since.
I did the same thing the other day, used cheap gas. Now my gas gauge reads emtpy all the time. I had always run good gas and used Techron and had fewer problems with the gauge. Now since I used cheap gas on my last fillup, the problem is back but not just intermittent, it's just flat out empty. I hope on my next fill it'll fix itself.

Art
Old 10-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
I did the same thing the other day, used cheap gas. Now my gas gauge reads emtpy all the time. I had always run good gas and used Techron and had fewer problems with the gauge. Now since I used cheap gas on my last fillup, the problem is back but not just intermittent, it's just flat out empty. I hope on my next fill it'll fix itself.

Art
I dont think it will fix itself, you probably need to use a bottle of Techron....
Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Conflicted
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrRenoman

Art
Clear all the codes in your DIC. That will do the trick. Mine will still do that every now and then, but as soon as I clear the code (I don't remember which one off the top of my head) the needle jumps to where it should be.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Gordon Vibbert
Advanced

This one has worked for me. "Re-boot" the car. Remove negative battery cable for at least 2 hrs (did mine overnite), re-install. Has worked for me since early summer (about 1500 miles). Still use Techron. Just another one of the many issues with the car. Rocking driver's seat, column lock (did bypass, still get "Pull Key" at least once every time I take it out), and all the others. Really appreciating my 96.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Harry Bilgewater
Advanced

Default Ppd

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Anyone know what's involved in replacing the sending unit if it comes to that?

Order the tank fuel filters and senders. There are two of each as there is a fuel tank on each side of the car. Split tank system. Many dealers do not stock these items. If you pull the tank then you have to replace the filter. When you buy the filters be sure to carry your own KY Jelly with you. You will need it. Cannot believe what they charge for a couple of pieces of paper.

Dis-connect the battery. You don't want spitzen sparken near the gas tanks.

Lift the rear of the car off the ground so the wheels are up.

Remove both rear wheels.

Pull down the shocks.

Remove the fuel lines. You will need a tool to properly release the fuel line connectors. They are available as a set at many parts houses.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Remove the two fuel tanks.

Remove the senders and filters.

Clean the tanks with denatured alcohol or other anhydrous alcohol. (Everclear works fine but is damn expensive)

Big pain in the backside for such a piddly problem.

By the way, don't be surprised if the gremlin shows up again. I've had a couple of techs tell me they cringe when they see a C-5 with fuel gauge problems.

Sensors about $ 65.00 each or $130.00
Filters about $100.00 each or $200.00
Governor's protection money
(Sales Tax) $ 25.00

Watching your gas gauge go to zero after replacement, Priceless!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Vibbert
This one has worked for me. "Re-boot" the car. Remove negative battery cable for at least 2 hrs (did mine overnite), re-install.
Wouldn't it be easier to just clear the DTCs. When you disconnect the battery, the whole PCM needs to go through a new "learning cycle".
Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Sherminator
Racer

Originally Posted by Jochen
Hi,

you need somebody who has a PCM editing software, like HPTuners or LS1Edit.
With that software you can modify the reaction the pcm does once a dtc is thrown.

In HPTuners you just have to set the codes P0461 ond P1431 to value "3", which means: now error reported to the pcm.

Thats it. Whenever this codes are thrown (they are responsible for making the fuel gauge go crazy) the pcm will just ignore them.

It is not really a fix to the problem, but the fuel gauge will stop making crazy things and no MIL will come on anymore...

Hope that helps...

Jochen
This what I did with my HP Tuners. First I cleared the code (with the level indicator still on E) and as soon as I cleared the codes, it came back up to it's previous location. Then I turned off the 2 codes posted above in the editor.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Sherminator, great it ended the anoying crazy gauge on your car as well...

As i wrote above, it is not really a fix to the problem itself which occurs somewhere inside the gastank at the gas sending units. The codes are thrown because the PCM detects something is going wrong at those places. However, if you just keep pressing the reset button on and on again to delete the codes manually each time they are thrown, its just anoying.
So this solution is just like some little friend is sitting inside the PCM pushing the trigger for you each time the sending unit goes crazy... isnt that

Take care,

Jochen
Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Techron, great product, I buy in upstate NY when every I'm there at one of the major parts stores, works wonders!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Good info, time to get some Techron as my Vette just started this fuel gauge problem, it will mess up the reading on the HUD too.

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed My Gas Gauge

Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM
edaniel7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the EXACT same experience two weeks ago !!! Cleared codes and perfect guage function since....
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 AM
HDRyder
Heel & Toe

I reset all my gauges every time I fill up, its one of those things you do from riding motorycles for years. The fuel gauge goes to empty, I have been adding Techron, using only Mobil etc. gaas and we ran out at 330 miles yesterday in the rain and affter AAA got there and we got gas it only took 12 gallons.

Must be a major problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Last C5
Did the Techron just happen to kick in or did clearing the codes bring the gauge back. I don't care as long as its fixed, I just wanted to know.
There is a code that sets and disables the gauge. I've forgotten the code, but for a while I disabled the code in my tune (and if I recall correctly disabling this also stopped the annoying low fuel message).

I believe the code is related to getting a mixed signal from the fuel level sensors.

Quick Reply: Fixed My Gas Gauge