C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport run flats; air pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Mich A/S tires heat up a bit more than summer tires when driven at highway speeds - 70-80 round here. I have mine baselined at 28 and have seen them pick up 4-5 psi on a warm day as they heat up - and they feel warm to the touch. My old summer tires only picked up a couple psi and stayed cooler under the same conditions.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I have the Michelin run flats, and run them at 30 PSI in the front , and 29 PSI in the rear....cold. If your pressure readings of the DIC are erroneous, it could be a couple of things. As already mentioned, the wheels could have been moved to the opposite side of the car, after the tires were mounted, and the sensors not "re-trained". Or, given the age of the C-5 cars, if you didn't install new sensors with the new tires, the internal batteries of the sensors might be going bad. Given the hassle of dealing with the stiffer sidewalls of the RFs, when dis-mounting, re-mounting, it's always a good idea to consider replacing the sensors when replacing the tires....unless you're wearing out tires every 2-3 years, in which case the sensors should be good for the life of a couple sets of tires.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-20-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I went from GY runflats to Michelin runflats to BF Goodrich non-runflats and always run them a 30. They always seemed fine. I am however not a nit-picker.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport run flats; air pressure?