C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bypassing active handling........

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Default Bypassing active handling........

No matter if your C5 is a museum piece, a "20 footer" or whatever, sadly, the C5 is becoming an old car. That said, my 2000 'vert is in this group. Bottom line: Has anyone figured out how to tune out the active handling of these cars? Yes, my 2000 C5 has active handling, and a 1283 code. Is it possible to use a non active handling BCM and PCM from a donor car? Because after reading a lot on the subject, it's obvious that eventually there will be no more used, functioning SWPS available. If G.M. made a C5 without it, why can't we "retro fit" our cars without it? I believe another part that goes along with the active handling is a dedicated EBCM, but I'm not sure about this. Would a donor EBCM also be required, along with the aforementioned BCM & PCM? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as only used SWPS are now available, and whether they last 1 year or 1 month, it's a HELLUVA hassle/job to be doing annually.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

You cannot 'tune' out Active Handling from a car equipped with it.

There is a detailed sticky in Tech regarding EBCM swap from 2001-2004s to 99-00 cars (97-98 cars are a different beast altogether) but it's VERY involved. In addition to collecting all the necessary parts, having to flare new brake lines, and all the wiring that had to be done, the OP estimated that there was easily 150 hours of work. Obviously now that everything is known that labor time would likely go down, but you should still estimate a very large amount of labor time to perform the retro-fit.

GM did not equip any model C5 without the SWPS as the steering system itself relies on it for the speed sensitive power assist. The biggest change-over starting in 2001 is the signal type was changed for the SWPS. It went from an analog signal, prior, to a digital signal. They cannot be simply re-pinned or swapped without performing all the above work re: swapping EBCM, ABS pump, new flared lines, rewiring, etc. If anything, 2001-2004 cars are at an advantage since many other circa GM cars eventually utilized a digital signal SWPS (Cadillac, among others).

This will, unfortunately, just be one of "those things" about owning an older car. Remember that a 2000 model C5 is now 18 years old at the least - that might as well be an eternity in moden car ownership when most people nowadays barely own a car that's older than 10 years old. I don't foresee the issue ever being resolved where it costs little money.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

PCM doesn't make any decisions in the Stability Control algorithm. It only does what the EBCM asks it to do and if the EBCM doesn't ask it to do anything it doesn't do anything. You can remove all of the plumbing and circuitry but you will still get a light on the dash and service messages. You should make sure your SWPS is actually bad Vs assuming it is. The code only tells you where to look not what is wrong.

It is very important to check the vehicle for proper alignment. The car should not pull in either direction while driving straight on a flat surface. From the Service Manual:
• It is very important to find out from the driver when the code was set (when the SERVICE ACTIVE HNDLG message was activated). This information may help to duplicate the failure.
• It is very important that a thorough inspection of the wiring and connectors be performed. Failure to carefully and fully inspect wiring and connectors may result in misdiagnosis, causing part replacement with reappearance of the malfunction. Check connector C102 RH side rear of engine compartment for water intrusion or missing plugs, and that the connector is oriented horizontal to prevent water intrusion.
• An intermittent malfunction is most likely caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation, or a wire that is broken inside the insulation. Refer to Testing for Electrical Intermittents in Wiring Systems.

Also the Yaw or Lateral Acceleration sensors can cause this code as well as the EBCM. If it is the EBCM you are totally screwed but there are some simple things to check that might save your bacon.

Bill
Old 09-10-2018, 08:42 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

The very early C5's ('97 until about mid '98 build dates) did not have active handling, only ABS, and appear to have less EBCM problems than the early AH cars. That having been said, those parts are now 20 years old, and that setup had the ABS unit behind the differential not in the front. My plan with my early build car (owned from new) is to run it until the price of repair approaches its worth and then get rid of it. Sad fact of dealing with an old electronics intensive vehicle.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:16 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
No matter if your C5 is a museum piece, a "20 footer" or whatever, sadly, the C5 is becoming an old car. That said, my 2000 'vert is in this group. Bottom line: Has anyone figured out how to tune out the active handling of these cars? Yes, my 2000 C5 has active handling, and a 1283 code. Is it possible to use a non active handling BCM and PCM from a donor car? Because after reading a lot on the subject, it's obvious that eventually there will be no more used, functioning SWPS available. If G.M. made a C5 without it, why can't we "retro fit" our cars without it? I believe another part that goes along with the active handling is a dedicated EBCM, but I'm not sure about this. Would a donor EBCM also be required, along with the aforementioned BCM & PCM? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as only used SWPS are now available, and whether they last 1 year or 1 month, it's a HELLUVA hassle/job to be doing annually.
I bought a module that plugs into the BCM that keeps the active handling off without having to push the console button every time you start the car. Forget what co. I got it from, but if you google it, you will find it. Hope this helps. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Bypassing active handling........

Quick Reply: Bypassing active handling........