C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code C1241 Magna Steer, any Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:52 PM
thmupr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Code C1241 Magna Steer, any Ideas???

I have a 2000 coupe that has a current code c1241 -C. The car drives fine, and never a service engine light on while operating. I do a occasionally get a security light that I have not been able to pinpoint, but it to does not cause any drive-ability issues. Any idea what causes the code c1241? Thanks in advance..
Chris

Last edited by thmupr; 04-09-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Computer keyboard sux
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,953 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by thmupr
I have a 2000 coupe that has a current code c1241 -C. The car drives fine, and never a service engine light on while operating. I do a occasionally get a security light that I have not been able to pinpoint, but it to does not cause any drive-ability issues. Any idea what causes the code c1241? Thanks in advance..
Chris
It is a steering code and will not light the SEL since it isn't an engine code. The only thing you may notice is a change in steering effort. Especially at higher speeds the steering may be less effort before the code occurred.

Bill

Here is the related diagnostic procedure:

DTC C1241
Circuit Description
The variable effort steering (VES) system uses the electronic brake control module (EBCM) to control current to a bi-directional electromagnetic rotary actuator. The EBCM commands current from negative 2 amps to positive 3 amps to the actuator. At low speeds, a negative current is commanded, which assists steering. At medium speeds, no current is commanded and steering is assisted by hydraulics only. At high speeds, a positive current is commanded, which creates steering resistance.

Conditions for running the DTC
Ignition voltage between 10.5 and 17 volts
Off state test - Initial ignition ON, no engine rpm or vehicle speed present.
On state test - If off state test passes, engine rpm and vehicle speed present.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
An open, short to ground, or short to voltage in the VES actuator or the circuits to the actuator.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
A DTC C1241 is stored in memory.
The DIC may display the SERVICE STEERING SYS warning message.
The VES system is disabled.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
A current DTC will clear when malfunction is no longer present.
A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive ignition cycles with no malfunction present.
Using the scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
The vehicle needs to be driven to view full commanded and feedback current ranges on the scan tool.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2.Tests if the Commanded and Feedback Current parameters are at the specified value in there active state.

3.Tests if the resistance of the VES actuator is in the specified range.

7.Tests the high effort control circuit for an open or short to voltage.

8.Tests the low effort control circuit for a short to ground.

10.Tests for poor connections at the VES actuator harness connector.

13.Perform the setup procedure after EBCM replacement.

Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Steering Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Steering Controls Connector End Views

Did you perform the Variable Effort Steering Diagnostic System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Variable Effort Steering

Install a scan tool.
Start the engine.
With the scan tool, observe the Magna Steer Commanded Current and the Magna Steer Feedback Current Data parameters in the Magna Steer data list.
Does the scan tool indicate that the Magna Steer Commanded and Magna Steer Feedback Current parameters are within .05 amps of each other and within specified range?
-1.84 to -1.99 A
Go to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems
Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the VES actuator harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the VES actuator.
Does the resistance measure within the specified range?
1.6-3.1 ohms
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 10

Test the VES actuator and actuator harness for a short to ground. Refer to Testing for Short to Ground and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Was a short to ground located?
--
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6

Visually inspect the actuator harness for any cut, chaffed or damaged wires.

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 12

Test the high effort control circuit of the VES actuator for a short to ground. Refer to Testing for Short to Ground and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 7

Test the high effort control circuit of the VES actuator for an open or short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 8

Test the low effort control circuit of the VES actuator for a short to ground. Refer to Testing for Short to Ground and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 9

Test the low effort control circuit of the VES actuator for an open or short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 11

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the VES actuator. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 12

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the EBCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 14
Go to Step 13

Replace the VES actuator. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering System.

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 14
--

Important
Perform the setup procedure for the EBCM. An unprogrammed EBCM will result in the following conditions:

Inoperative, or poorly functioning DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES/VES/TPM system, if equipped.
Set DTC C1248
Set DTC C1255

Replace the EBCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement in Antilock Brake System.

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 14
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Does the DTC reset?
--
Go to Step 2
System OK
Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
thmupr
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the information Bill. I'll check things out tomorrow.
Chris
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is a steering code and will not light the SEL since it isn't an engine code. The only thing you may notice is a change in steering effort. Especially at higher speeds the steering may be less effort before the code occurred.

To find out what code is causing the "check engine" light and also your security light follow this link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=26&TopicID=1
Old 04-10-2007, 10:54 PM
thmupr
Burning Brakes

Thanks Runamuk, I think I mis-stated the check engine light statement. I did check the codes as the link you sent described before I posted, but thanks for the link

Get notified of new replies

To Code C1241 Magna Steer, any Ideas???

Quick Reply: Code C1241 Magna Steer, any Ideas???