C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaner TB leaves a big grin on my face

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Shaner TB leaves a big grin on my face

2 weeks....worth the wait.
for those of you interested in the math, the stock 75mm LS1 TB ported to 78mm gives an additional 3.605cm^3 cross sectional area to the throttle body's interior.

The installation was simple....however my anxiety and stupidity of not letting the car cool resulted in a large coolant spill when i disconnected the TB from the coolant lines.

The installation would have taken probably a half hour or less if i didn't have to walk to the local auto shop (thankfully only 3 stores over) to get the tamper proof torx screws on the TBP sensor and motor switched to the new unit.

Initial response was a little sluggish, but the following morning i definatly felt results. The car just feels stronger and gunning it gives me a much firmer pickup.

An excellent mod definatly worth my time. Kudos to Mr. Shaner for his excellent work.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Nice! I too had mine ported and polished from LAPD last week!

Do you have any before and after pics or just a new pic of the one you have now?

Did he use epoxy or aluminum on the fillin? Just curious.

Here is a shot of mine:

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

From his web page http://www.s2performance.net/

pictures
http://www.s2performance.net/vettepage.html
Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it's worth it - I've got one sitting on the bench ready to install -
Old 04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
Thanks! Very nice work too!

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you get the satin or polished.. Is there any performance difference between them besides the extra $30.00?? I'm considering having this done, however I have seen mixed reviews on this forum
Old 04-12-2007, 02:06 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Nice! I too had mine ported and polished from LAPD last week!

Do you have any before and after pics or just a new pic of the one you have now?

Did he use epoxy or aluminum on the fillin? Just curious.
i didn't have my camera with me during the install. The before/after pics don't look too different when it's all back together. I believe he used aluminum on the fillin.

Originally Posted by David426
Did you get the satin or polished.. Is there any performance difference between them besides the extra $30.00?? I'm considering having this done, however I have seen mixed reviews on this forum
The only reason to go with the polished is if the rest of your engine compartment is shiny. There are no performance differences between them.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM
4BTINGU
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to retune after the install?? Do you need too??
Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

the change in airflow isn't significant enough for a full-on dyno tune, however i am planning on a laptop tune within the month. I'm going to wait on the dyo tune until after the cam.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 875 Likes on 437 Posts

Mark is the man for sure!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Pwrtrip75
Racer

Unless you actually change the size of the butterfly valve in the middle how is this going to flow more air? A funnel with a 1/2" opening on one and a 1ft opening on the other is not going to flow any different of you make the 1ft end bigger. Also making it smoother for the air transition would only be effective on a forced induction engine, seeing air is being drawn through and not pushed. You could cut the entire front of the throttle body off and you will not gain a thing....except psychological gains. I'll make a technical drawing if no one understands the simple physics of this.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwrtrip75
Unless you actually change the size of the butterfly valve in the middle how is this going to flow more air? A funnel with a 1/2" opening on one and a 1ft opening on the other is not going to flow any different of you make the 1ft end bigger. Also making it smoother for the air transition would only be effective on a forced induction engine, seeing air is being drawn through and not pushed. You could cut the entire front of the throttle body off and you will not gain a thing....except psychological gains. I'll make a technical drawing if no one understands the simple physics of this.
Try sucking air through a 1 foot straw.
Now cut 2/3rds off and try again.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Pwrtrip75
Racer

The TB is already funneled. Its not a perfect geometrical cylinder. Try breathing through a funnel. Now cut 1" off the big end. As long as the small end stays the same, any larger diameter opening on the other end will have no effect. You can cut the entire front of the TB off and not flow any more air.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Pwrtrip75
Racer

I drew something quik.
http://www.geocities.com/nova442.geo/TB_flow.pdf
And on a side note, ported with boost isnt going to create more airflow, but smooth the transition out some. Actual HP gains are probably not even measureable.

Last edited by Pwrtrip75; 04-13-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

The TB is already funneled. Its not a perfect geometrical cylinder. Try breathing through a funnel. Now cut 1" off the big end. As long as the small end stays the same, any larger diameter opening on the other end will have no effect. You can cut the entire front of the TB off and not flow any more air.
I drew something quik.
http://www.geocities.com/nova442.geo/TB_flow.pdf
And on a side note, ported with boost isnt going to create more airflow, but smooth the transition out some. Actual HP gains are probably not even measureable.
your work is partially accurate. Assuming that the fritional force of the air against the side of the intake walls is negligable, the total energy of the moving air remains constant at any point in it's path.

this is found with the following equation: Pressure energy + Kinetic energy + potential energy = constant.

this basically means that the vaccum on the engine side of the TB will cause the airflow velocity past the butterfly valve to be higher than at any other part of the intake tube. The purpose of porting is to create a smoother transition from a larger cross-sectional area to a smaller cross sectional area. This does two things:

a) reduces turbulant vorticies in this transitional area caused by sudden cross sectional area changes. Turbulance causes air to lose kinetic energy and disrupts uniform airflow. Turbulance causes drag which results in slower moving air.

b) Since air is easily subject to pressure change, a faster airflow creates an area of low pressure. Since this air is moving towards a vaccum anyway, the negative pressure is compounded past the butterfly valve causeing the air to be sucked into the TB even faster. The smooth taper of a ported TB maximizes this effect.

The gains on a naturally asperated engine from a ported TB are small but the biggest gain is torque due to a higher air velocity. xmize the effectiveness of a ported TB, a quality intake and camshaft are highly reccomended. Like any performance mod, it's only as good as the weakest link in that area.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Pwrtrip75
Racer

You dont need an equation to figure it out either. Doing his mod and expecting kind of gain with it is the same as adding a bigger gas pedal and expecting more power from that.
Your velocity will not change as long as the hole/valve size in the middle doesnt change.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts

i sent a throttle body off to shaner this past monday, from what i have seen of his work, it will help out a little.

Get notified of new replies

To Shaner TB leaves a big grin on my face

Quick Reply: Shaner TB leaves a big grin on my face