C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Routine Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:10 AM
SunDevil C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Routine Maintenance

I'm due for my 30k mile scheduled maintenance and was wondering if there are any other areas to go ahead and change on top of the usual. Also wanted some thoughts on which fluids to use. My plan is to use OEM fluids again, but I hear good things about Royal Purple and Redline fluids as well. Any preferences. My list so far to change is:

1. Engine flush and oil change
  2. Differential fluid
  3. Check clutch fluid
  4. Check brake system
  5. Check coolant system
  6. Check fuel sytem and flush
  7. Fuel filter already changed
  8. Spark plugs and wires

Is it neccessary to change the trans fluid if its a manual? Any other areas to look at? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:43 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,002 Likes on 5,369 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDevil C5
I'm due for my 30k mile scheduled maintenance and was wondering if there are any other areas to go ahead and change on top of the usual. Also wanted some thoughts on which fluids to use. My plan is to use OEM fluids again, but I hear good things about Royal Purple and Redline fluids as well. Any preferences. My list so far to change is:

1. Engine flush and oil change
    Only need to change once per year or every 10K miles whichever comes first. Looks like you should be on the once per year schedule.
  2. Differential fluid
  3. Check clutch fluid
    Its going to be dark colored. If you want them to change it it will be expensive since they will pull the cats and the tunnel plate to get into the bleeder screw. You may want to try some of the home brewed methods recommended on the forum.
  4. Check brake system
    If it hasn't been flushed since the car was new it is time to do it. Shouldn't go more than 2 years on DOT3.
  5. Check coolant system
    5 years/150K miles. You should be ready for your second change.
  6. Check fuel sytem and flush
    If running OK don't bother.
  7. Fuel filter already changed
  8. Spark plugs and wires
    If it is running OK I would just have them check for age related wire breakdown.

Is it neccessary to change the trans fluid if its a manual? Any other areas to look at? Thanks.
Basically there isn't a lot to do at the 30K point. Here are the factory recommendations:

Scheduled Maintenance
The services shown in this schedule up to 100,000 miles (166 000 km) should be repeated after 100,000 miles (166 000 km) at the same intervals for the life of this vehicle. The services shown at 150,000 miles (240 000 km) should be repeated at the same interval after 150,000 miles (240 000 km) for the life of this vehicle.

See Part B: Owner Checks and Services , Part C: Periodic Maintenance Inspections and Part D: Recommended Fluids and Lubricants .

Footnotes
† The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board has determined that the failure to perform this maintenance item will not nullify the emissions warranty or limit recall liability prior to the completion of the vehicle's useful life. We, however, urge that all recommended maintenance services be performed at the indicated intervals and the maintenance be recorded.

Engine Oil Scheduled Maintenance
Change engine oil and filter as indicated by the Engine Oil Life System (or every 12 months, whichever occurs first). Reset the system.

Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE OIL SOON message will come on. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next two times you stop for fuel. It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer has GM-trained service people who will perform this work using genuine GM parts and reset the system.

It is also important to check your oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since your last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed. See Engine Oil for information on resetting the system.

Use engine oil meeting the GM Standard GM4718M.

An Emission Control Service.

See the mileage intervals following for additional services that may be performed with an engine oil change. After the services are performed, record the date, odometer reading and who performed the service on the maintenance record pages in Part E of this schedule.

30,000 Miles (50 000 km)
Replace engine air cleaner filter. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter for more information. An Emission Control Service.

45,000 Miles (75 000 km)
Inspect engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace the filter. If vehicle is driven in dusty/dirty conditions, inspect filter at every engine oil change. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter for more information.An Emission Control Service. (See footnote †.)

50,000 Miles (83 000 km)
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:
In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
In hilly or mountainous terrain.
Uses such as high performance operation. If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, change the fluid and filter at 100,000 miles (166 000 km). Manual transmission fluid does not require change.

60,000 Miles (100 000 km)
Replace engine air cleaner filter. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter for more information. An Emission Control Service.

75,000 Miles (125 000 km)
Inspect engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace the filter. If vehicle is driven in dusty/dirty conditions, inspect filter at every engine oil change. See Engine Air Cleaner/Filter for more information. An Emission Control Service. (See footnote †.)

90,000 Miles (150 000 km)

100,000 Miles (166 000 km)
Replace spark plugs. An Emission Control Service.
Inspect spark plug wires. An Emission Control Service.
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter. Manual transmission fluid does not require change.

150,000 Miles (240 000 km)
Drain, flush and refill the cooling system (or every 60 months since last service, whichever occurs first). See Engine Coolant for what to use. An Emission Control Service.
Inspect engine accessory drive belt. An Emission Control Service.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (06-06-2020)
Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 AM
SunDevil C5
Burning Brakes

Ya i pretty much got all that. The dealer suggested pretty much all that I listed but i'm sure they just want the added $$$. Just wanted to go beyond to save some future headache.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'20, '21,'22, '23

Scheduled maintenance is important to me.

I checked the owners manuel and at 30k miles it said to " replace air cleaner filter" . My guess is there are additional requirements at 30k miles. Scattered in different areas of the owners manual are different requirements that should be done at different mileage intervals.

Is there one comprehensive list of things to do at different mileage intervals ? It would be nice to have a one pager that lists EVERYTHING that should be done at different mileage intervals. Or should I continue to use the bible method i.e. seek and ye shall find.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Sorny
Pro

Originally Posted by basicstrategy777
Scheduled maintenance is important to me.

I checked the owners manuel and at 30k miles it said to " replace air cleaner filter" . My guess is there are additional requirements at 30k miles. Scattered in different areas of the owners manual are different requirements that should be done at different mileage intervals.

Is there one comprehensive list of things to do at different mileage intervals ? It would be nice to have a one pager that lists EVERYTHING that should be done at different mileage intervals. Or should I continue to use the bible method i.e. seek and ye shall find.

See Bill Dearborn's post, 2 posts up from yours, for the straight dope from the owner's manual. Change your filter and change your oil (if required).

These cars are very low maintenance.

Sorny
Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 AM
basicstrategy777
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'20, '21,'22, '23

Throughout the 24 pages of section 7 there are many checks/inspections that are recommended to be done. Preventative maintenance is important to me. I have seen other cars inspection requirements spelled out better than I have seen in this owners manual. I was looking for something neat, tidy and thourough. As far as I'm concerned the owners manual layout of maintenance requirements is less than ideal. i.e. it sucks. I was wondering if there was anything better organized; I guess there is not.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Sundevil, I would not "flush" the engine and fuel system unless you are having a major problem like slug. I would simply change your oil and filter. I would add a bottle of Techtron fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank - I use one bottle a year in the vette and two in the Jeep every year (every 5k miles). I swear by the stuff. Been using Techtron for over 18 years and it keeps my fuel injectors/combustion camber clean. If your car is 5 years old I would change (or flush if needed) the cooling system. My 01 only has 31k on her now but I plan on doing preventative maintains as well (firm believer in it) and I figure I will bleed the breaks, suck out all the old fluid in the PS and replace, replace fuel filter, clean the Vararam filter. I think I will wait till 50K on changing the tranny fluid/filter (A4) and I already changed the rear axle lube when I replaced the axle seal 2 years ago. I will dig out the GM repair books and see what else can be done (PVC valve?). Every year I pull all of the wheels off and clean inside the wheel after I check the brakes out can clean them with brake cleaner.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM
My07C6
Racer

Here is what mygmlink.com recommends for my '07 coupe.
It's really a pretty cool site GM has for personalized GM vehicle information and maintenance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
GM Oil Life System Maintenance
If your vehicle's 'change oil' message is on, follow this link to see which group of maintenance services - Maintenance I or II - should be performed within the next 600 miles.

Most vehicles are operated under a variety of conditions. Your GM Oil Life system keeps track of those conditions and adjusts the mileage between oil changes respectively.

When your vehicle has been driven the appropriate miles, the 'change oil' message will illuminate on the instrument panel or driver information center when the vehicle is started. You should have your oil changed and GM Oil Life system reset within 600 miles of message appearing.

Perform Maintenance I if:
Message appears within ten months since vehicle was purchased
Message appears within ten months since Maintenance II was performed

Perform Maintenance II if:
The previous service performed was Maintenance I
Message appears ten months or more since the last service
The light has not come on at all for one year

Services Maintenance I Maintenance II

Change engine oil and filter. Reset oil life system. X X
Visually check for any leaks or damage. X X
Check tire inflation pressures and tire wear. X X
Check engine coolant and windshield washer fluid levels and add fluid as needed. X X
Inspect brake system. X X
Inspect engine air cleaner filter. If necessary, replace filter. X
Inspect suspension and steering components. X
Inspect engine cooling system. X
Inspect wiper blades. X
Inspect restraint system components. X
Lubricate body components. X
Replace passenger compartment air filter. X

NOTE: It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your GM Goodwrench dealer has GM-trained service technicians who will perform this work using genuine GM parts and reset the system.

Engine Cooling System Service
Drain, flush and refill cooling system. Inspect hoses. Clean radiator, condenser, pressure cap and neck. Pressure test cooling system and pressure cap.
Interval: Every 150,000 miles or every 60 months whichever occurs first.

Exhaust System Inspection
Inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components.
Interval: Every 25,000 miles.

Fuel System Inspection
Inspect fuel system for damage or leaks.
Interval: Every 25,000 miles.

Engine Air Cleaner Filter Replacement
Replace engine air cleaner filter.
Interval: Every 50,000 miles.

Automatic Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter.
Interval: Every 100,000 miles unless the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions: 1) In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90 F (32 C) or higher, 2) In hilly or mountainous terrain, 3) Uses such as high performance operation. If vehicle is used under these conditions, change fluid and filter every 50,000 miles.

Spark Plug Replacement and Spark Plug Wire Inspection
Replace spark plugs and inspect spark plug wires.
Interval: Every 100,000 miles.

Engine Accessory Drive Belt Inspection
Inspect engine accessory drive belt
Interval: Every 150,000 miles.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:54 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Clean MAF sensor

A great thing to do each time you change (or clean) your air filter is to clean your MAF sensor. Keeping this clean will boost your horsepower and help mileage. The best way to do this is to use CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner (I know it's available at Advance Auto Parts). Just follow directions and spray in the MAF housing. Very simple.
I read that this is the best product to use for this as it is specifically designed for the delicate sensor. Not sure about other products, so be careful.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:59 PM
DA KAR
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That CRC mass airflow cleaner is good stuff-have used it on my vette and other vehicles.It's really good for guys that run aftermarket air filters that have to be oiled,gets the oil off of the MAF sensor wires.Used to have a K&N on one of my cars and then stopped using it and after CRC she idles much better.I keep it simple now and use Delco products only.
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (06-06-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Routine Maintenance

Quick Reply: Routine Maintenance