C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirror help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side mirror help

Ok, my mirror fell apart. Where it is a breakaway it just swings freely now. I pulled it apart and there is a retaining clip and a spring. I can't get the spring to compress to attach the retaining clip, it looks like a massive spring also. If anyone can help so I don't have to buy a new mirror I would be indebted to you.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snaketr
Ok, my mirror fell apart. Where it is a breakaway it just swings freely now. I pulled it apart and there is a retaining clip and a spring. I can't get the spring to compress to attach the retaining clip, it looks like a massive spring also. If anyone can help so I don't have to buy a new mirror I would be indebted to you.
Thanks
I am clueless as how to get it back together, but I do have a whole Driverside mirror if you need to buy one. It wont come with glass, also needs to be painted unless your car is that bronze color.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 PM
BruceF1234
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://97vette.com/howto/mirror/index.html
Old 06-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Cpor
Heel & Toe

OK, I just finished repairing mine thanks to some ideas from the forum.

1. I remove the glass from the plastic rotating plate. I was actually trying to pop the plate off the motor.

2. Revove the motor and cut the colored wires.

3. Pull the mirror housing and spring off.

4. Carefully mark a spot on the base post to drill a small hole. The hole needs to be close to the top and big enough to accept a nail strong enough to hold the spring on the post.

5. Compress the spring in a vise and use thin steel wire to secure the spring in the collapsed position.

6. Secure wire connectors on the cut wires and thread them through the spring and housing.

7. Insert the nail through the hole ( this took repeated trys to clear the spring). The nail takes the place of the washer fastener that broke.

8. Cut the wire holding the collapsed spring and assemble the mirror.

Took about 2 hours, works great.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 AM
97vetteman
Pro

Originally Posted by Cpor
OK, I just finished repairing mine thanks to some ideas from the forum.

1. I remove the glass from the plastic rotating plate. I was actually trying to pop the plate off the motor.

2. Revove the motor and cut the colored wires.

3. Pull the mirror housing and spring off.

4. Carefully mark a spot on the base post to drill a small hole. The hole needs to be close to the top and big enough to accept a nail strong enough to hold the spring on the post.

5. Compress the spring in a vise and use thin steel wire to secure the spring in the collapsed position.

6. Secure wire connectors on the cut wires and thread them through the spring and housing.

7. Insert the nail through the hole ( this took repeated trys to clear the spring). The nail takes the place of the washer fastener that broke.

8. Cut the wire holding the collapsed spring and assemble the mirror.

Took about 2 hours, works great.
That sounds like a good mod. I'll try that next time my passenger one breaks again. I have put my passenger mirror back together twice now. I even cut the spring down to lesson the force of the spring. I used Aradilte glue on top of the clip and it still popped off.

They don't like being swivled in even though that's what there meant to do. I leave the passenger one alone now and turn the driverside one in or my Vette won't go through the garage door!

I bought a black one and painted it silver for my driverside after that one broke. Why don't the door mirrors that fold in Electrically!

Get notified of new replies

To Side mirror help

Quick Reply: Side mirror help