C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jacking question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jacking question

I have read many of the posts on jacking a c5 so far, and have one question.

can I use a hydrolic low profile jack and jacking pucks to lift each corner one at a time, and put a jack stand under each lifting point without damaging the car?

I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but i wanted to ask before I begin my brake/wheel work.

I am only going to be lifting one end at a time, maybe only one corner, but I certainly don't want to eff anything up.

thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:39 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This is the safest way....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...g&forum_id=103
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Zozzie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try these links -

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=wooden+pads

http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php
Old 08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Munky
I have read many of the posts on jacking a c5 so far, and have one question.

can I use a hydrolic low profile jack and jacking pucks to lift each corner one at a time, and put a jack stand under each lifting point without damaging the car?

I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but i wanted to ask before I begin my brake/wheel work.

I am only going to be lifting one end at a time, maybe only one corner, but I certainly don't want to eff anything up.

thanks.
How are you planning to place a jack stand under the lift point, if you already have a puck / hydraulic jack under the lift point?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obvioulsy wouldn't be putting it where I was jacking the car, but rather under the front cross member.

I am simply doing some break work, and wanted to know if I will damage my car by using the pucks to get each front corner up, put a jack stand under the cross member, and successfully get the entire frong in the air without making the wood accesories mentioned in other threads.

I apologize about not being clear.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

suggest you place a 2"x4" or 2"x6" under the cross member before dropping it on the jack stand. Not sure how stable that will be for you when you only have one side in the air. My '00 coupe is very stable when I jack it up using the 2"x6" cross member piece I made per the forum jacking instructions, after driving the car up on the wooden ramps I made out of 2"x12" pieces, but then, I have the car jacked up on both sides, so it sits level across the front when supported by two jack stands.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:33 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I do it kind of the caveman way.......jack a corner, stack something like 3 pcs. of 2x4 under that tire. go to the other side and do the same thing. That gives me room to get the low profile jack under the front end . I then place 2 jack stands under the cross member (leaving the floor jack under there also)

Get notified of new replies

To jacking question

Quick Reply: jacking question