C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Engine Making Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Peixoto91
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine Making Knocking Noise

Heavily Modified Acura Integra Pulled up along side me yesterday and started reving on me so I had to show him what Good ol' American power was all about. Smoked him through first gear, took it all the way to redline, then again through second gear. I was all happy becuase he was really bent out of shape about it! Pull into my driveway and my engine is knocking pretty bad. Shut her down. Come back after shes cooled and fire her back up. Sounds fine untill I take it to about 2200 RPM's. At 2200 and above the motor knocks really hard, but sounds fine under that. Any ideas on whats going on? The car drives fine, no codes were sent or anything like that. Any help would be great!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Billdog350
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can you do a sound clip with a camera or something?

Knocking can be a spun bearing (unlikely), valvetrain issue (I just had this happen) or something totally different like a fouled plug or exhaust gasket failure. Without hearing it, its hard to guess exactly what happened. Unless you missed a few shifts or put it in the wrong gear, its unlikely you hurt the internal parts of your motor by hitting the redline while accelerating.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Peixoto91
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good I'll get a sound clip later today and put it up. I dont know if it matters, but also she has 110k on her.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Billdog350
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High mileage doesn't mean a whole lot with LS1's....they really last. A spun bearing can happen at 10k mi as easily as 100k. I do know people say the rod bolts aren't up to par on the older LS1's....so a few high rpm revs "could" have stretched the rod bolts enough to spin your rod bearing...but again I doubt that.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Engine Making Knocking Noise

Quick Reply: Help! Engine Making Knocking Noise