C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to charge battery

Old 09-06-2007, 12:16 PM
T Will
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default How to charge battery

I killed my 1 year old battery by leaving key on acc for 3 days should I charge at 10 amps for a few hours or 2 amps over night? I hope I didn't loose the battery
Thanks Tom
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 PM
merven
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWILL
I killed my 1 year old battery by leaving key on acc for 3 days should I charge at 10 amps for a few hours or 2 amps over night? I hope I didn't loose the battery
Thanks Tom

Trickle charge will give you the best deepest charge, so do the overnight 2 amps charge, 24 hour is usualy more than adequate.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

A fully charged 12v battery can lose up to 50% of its charge in 12 days of storage, especially with all of the electronics on our cars.
Get yourself a float maintenance charger that will charge the battery slowly, then go into a maintenance mode. The most well known are the BATTERY TENDER models by DELTRAN CORPORATION. You can find those in PEPBOYS or almost any motorcycle shop. THE EASTWOOD COMPANY has them on sale right now for about $50. They're regularly about $60.00.
Another manufacturer is CTEK, which is a little more high tech and widely used in Europe. They typically cost about $10 more than the BATTERY TENDER.
During the winter/periods of non use, you can hook the float maintenance charger to your battery and just leave it to do its thing. It'll always be fully charged.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
A fully charged 12v battery can lose up to 50% of its charge in 12 days of storage, especially with all of the electronics on our cars.
Get yourself a float maintenance charger that will charge the battery slowly, then go into a maintenance mode. The most well known are the BATTERY TENDER models by DELTRAN CORPORATION. You can find those in PEPBOYS or almost any motorcycle shop. THE EASTWOOD COMPANY has them on sale right now for about $50. They're regularly about $60.00.
Another manufacturer is CTEK, which is a little more high tech and widely used in Europe. They typically cost about $10 more than the BATTERY TENDER.
During the winter/periods of non use, you can hook the float maintenance charger to your battery and just leave it to do its thing. It'll always be fully charged.

Another benefit of the battery tender is that, without the sporadic excitement of the electrolyte in the battery, the cells will sulfate, i.e., form a deposit of a white scale of sulfate of lead on the plates of a storage battery. The scale will build up from the bottom and short out the plate/cell. Eventually, this will happen in the distant future but the battery tender will help retard it's progress.Go with the battery tender, it's cheap insurance.

Last edited by PierEagle; 09-06-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to charge battery

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to charge battery