C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Dash CD Player Error

Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
jacksoat
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-Dash CD Player Error

My 2001 C5 factory in-dash CD player (single disc) is giving me an error message (ERR) and then spits out my CD when I try to put one in. These are new CDs without scratches (not burned CDs).

Does anyone know if I can fix this problem or do I have to get a new unit?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:10 AM
VETTE47
Instructor

i have a 98 that did the same thing as yours. go to www.corvetteradios.com they will cool you down.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM
jacksoat
2nd Gear

They said I would have to mail the unit and it would be $229 + S&H. Is this what you had to do?

It sounds like there is not a work around and I have to pay to have it either fixed or replaced (which is not much more than getting it fixed).

Is there anything I can try before sending it for repair?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 AM
VETTE47
Instructor

The Optical Lens That Reads The Disc Is Bad. What I Did Was Install A Panasonic Flipscreen Unit. Because I Felt If I Was Going To Sink $230 Bucks Into A Stock Radio I Might As Well Replace It With A Good Aftermarket Head Unit. Or If You Are Very Knowlegble Of Electronic Repair You Could Go To Radio Shack And Buy Optical Lens And Install It Yourself. Or What I Did For While Was Use My Ipod With The Car Kit.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
SilvaDragon
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're mechanically inclined, you could try cleaning the
laser head with a little isopropyl alcohol on a swab. It's
a bit of a job to pull the radio and disassemble it, and only
a small chance that a cleaning will solve the problem, but
it's probably one of the few things you can try to do
yourself.

Then, there's always Fleabay...
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Rocdoc02
8th Gear

I had the same problem with the in-dash CD OEM player in my 2001 convertible that I recently purchased. CDs wouldn't go completely in, tried to load for a few seconds, then ERR displayed and the CD ejected. I read a post from a few years ago about someone having to try to load their CD 45 times before it was accepted and everything started working correctly. I tried to load a CD 5-10 times on a few occasions with no success. I decided this evening to try it at least 45 times. I was very surprised when on the 35th attempt, it loaded the CD and played it without issue. I'm hoping if "fixed" whatever the problem was, but didn't have the courage to eject the CD to see if it would reload.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My in dash player also rejects discs, but only until gets warm. Once the dash gets heated, it plays normally. I can only assume heat is effecting the rubber loading parts, I can only assume the wear is compensated by heat expansion of worn parts. I am guessing a rubber tracked wheel is worn somewhere .

Cleaning the laser is not always effective, because whatever is on the lens is not in focus so unless enough signal is blocked, cleaning might not be effective.

My solution was to buy a missing changer magazine and use the changer in the trunk, at least until the dash heats up. The long leads from the trunk greatly effect the signal, so the sound is inferior to the dash plater, but good sound was not designed into the stuff to begin with so no sweat. Typical crude sounding car radio, obviously GM had no clue about what the young folks were doing.

The dash player in my car seems to accept the old thicker disks more readily, this helped form my wear assumption. That and the age of the car, of course.........
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Rocdoc02
8th Gear

Maybe after 35 attempts to load a CD I warmed it up!? I'm also missing a changer magazine. Any suggestions on where to locate one? I don't have any specs on the changer (part no, etc.) so I am unclear on what I need to be searching for.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 PM
jan-db
Advanced

I cant get the CD to eject.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

In answer to the question about the magazine for the changer, I got it from a very popular radio mail order place that I unfortunately could not find in the venders directory. IT was on a close out .

In warmed up, I mean the heat from the motor getting to the radio, not the loading mechanism getting warm as a function of use. I spoke of wheels, but more commonly have seen rubber belts in loading designs. And, while I am speculating, it could very well be something electrical has gotten heat sensitive after all this time.

In any event , it's fun while it lasts, but I don't sweat mine not working perfectly, as long as it plays, it's better than nothing. With the available Bose GM sound quality, it's not like it's space equipment anyway. Still rather than chop the dash I will probably get the same thing when the one in there lets go. THere are so many CD around, it's fun to buy a used one and cruise it all day if ti is good.

I think I share a common behavior in the dash player. Once the CD is loaded, it plays without problems whenever called upon, it is just feeding the CD into the thing that is aggravating when it doesn't catch.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jan-db
I cant get the CD to eject.
Do you hear it mechanically trying....I have repaired a lot of car Audio but don't remember the particular loading scheme in these....You could have a loose loading belt, buildup/glazing on the eject rollers, or a foreign object (label usually) jammed in the mech.....
Old 08-07-2014, 01:48 PM
jan-db
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
Do you hear it mechanically trying....I have repaired a lot of car Audio but don't remember the particular loading scheme in these....You could have a loose loading belt, buildup/glazing on the eject rollers, or a foreign object (label usually) jammed in the mech.....
Thanks for the input. Does blowing it out help? Its a show car and I dont relish ripping it out of the dash. I may just live with it.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:44 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

The laser gets dirty over time.
I tried the cleaners, etc.. nothing worked.

I tore the CD player apart and cleaned the laser myself.
Not hard to do at all.

I have the procedure on my web site.

www.toquez06.com

Good luck !
Toque
Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocdoc02
I'm also missing a changer magazine. Any suggestions on where to locate one? I don't have any specs on the changer (part no, etc.) so I am unclear on what I need to be searching for.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGAZINE-CARTRIDGE-FOR-CORVETTE-GM-12-DISC-CD-CHANGER-CAMARO-CADILLAC-FIREBIRD-/261557635777?pt=US_Car_CD_Changers&hash=item3ce60ccac1#ht_1060wt_1362
Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 PM
jan-db
Advanced

Originally Posted by jan-db
Thanks for the input. Does blowing it out help? Its a show car and I dont relish ripping it out of the dash. I may just live with it.
Now my CD repairman tells me due to obsolete tecnology, my '01 will not play burned CD's. I thought it did previously.

Get notified of new replies

To In-Dash CD Player Error

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In-Dash CD Player Error