C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise under dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
ViperDriver
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise under dash

About a week ago, my passenger side climate was stuck on full hot with the controls set at cold. I'm guessing it was an actuator problem. Before I had a chance to fix it, it started working again. But now I have a strange noise coming from under the dash around where the airbag is. It sounds like something electro-mechanical spinning and getting worn out. I thought it might be related to the climate system, but I can hear it with the climate off. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:56 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an actuator is still engaged. From what i understand even with the climate off it still can adjust actuators. Pull fuse 18 and listen to hear if sound has stopped. Check the DIC for HVAC codes.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 PM
ViperDriver
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled Fuse 18 and the sound stopped.

I'm getting codes, HVAC B0361H, 0365H, 0367H, and 0441H. They all have to do with the right and left actuators.

I found some good info here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1434320

My problem seems more random. Sometimes the passenger side is stuck on hot and sometimes the driver side is stuck. And now my fan is acting up. I have to turn it on and off controller panel (center console) to get it to kick in. I'm thinking the problem is with the controller panel??? But would that cause the noise under the dash?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you are describing sounds as if an actuator is still trying to adjust for temp. The actuators are located under the dash they are little electrical motors with gears. The rest is all vacuum. The passenger one is up under to the left of the glove box. The actuator still gets voltage whether the HVAC controller is on or off. If your controller is going bad it could still be sending a signal for the door to adjust. Since you pulled #18 fuse that cut all power to the actuators and the sound stopped. Another way to check is get to the actuator and unplug it.
For more info on your code read this thread. Got to post #14 for picture of actuator
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=B0441

Get notified of new replies

To Noise under dash

Quick Reply: Noise under dash