C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Stop Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM
weinerschizel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Radiator Stop Leak

I've got an issue with a leaky radiator. No it's not on my Corvette... thank god... but I cannot seem to get any responses in the general car / truck forum.

It's a 95 Chevy pickup truck w/ 350 motor. I've added two containers of stop leak. It seems to work temporairly. But now I'm worried the thermostat may have gotten gunked up from the stop leak. What experiences have you guys had with stop leak?

Also, I have a suspension issue in my chrysler. I posted in the gernal forum but it didn't get much visibility. Does anybody around here have experience troublshooting suspension issues? It clunks when I have a load on the front driver side tire. Ball joints and tie rods are all rock solid though (or so they seem w/ a crow bar and the tire off).

THanks
Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most stop leaks harden upon contact with air, your thermostat should be ok. I would not add any more, too much of a good thing can be bad.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You may just be due for a new radiator. My Suburban did this at about the same age and I ended up replacing it.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Stop leak is temp fix. You can keep adding it, but the problem will come back. With winter upon us, the temperature extremes will magnify this problem. Sooner or later, it's going to expand enough where it won't work anymore. I guess it just comes down to how dependable you want your truck to be. I've used stop leak for a temp fix, but never for a repair.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Best stop leak is that small tube of "aluminum powder". It has fixed some of my other cars, only flushing seems to remove it for me, then more stop leak fixes it.

The LS1 has some small cooling passages, stop leak is NOT recommended for it, get the radiator fixed or replace it.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Plasticfan
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Stop leak is temp fix. You can keep adding it, but the problem will come back. With winter upon us, the temperature extremes will magnify this problem. Sooner or later, it's going to expand enough where it won't work anymore. I guess it just comes down to how dependable you want your truck to be. I've used stop leak for a temp fix, but never for a repair.
Rads for that truck are not super expensive. I bought one years ago. It's probably the only real fix. Oh, and be sure to flush it good if you replace the rad.

Concerning the front end noise, I always checked ball joints with a bar on the bottom of the tire. Also, look at the upper and lower inner shaft bushings opposite the ball joint end of the control arm. If it looks like the bolt or shaft is off center you need new bushings. HTH

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Stop Leak

Quick Reply: Radiator Stop Leak