C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 05:15 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (EHS)

Interesting link.

So now my question is (maybe this was really my question before...): are the Euro headlights for the C5 street legal for use in the US?
Old 11-27-2001, 09:26 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (chadwick)

This is what the link above says, in part:

"What about legality?

In the United States, E-code headlamps may be sold only for off-road use, because they do not conform to US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108. It is a matter of State law as to what sort of headlamps you can or cannot install on your own vehicle. The vast majority of US states do not specify any particular type of headlamp, as long as it emits white light, has an upper and lower beam setting, and is aimed in a manner so as not to dazzle other road users. If your state does not have a vehicle headlamp inspection, it would be extremely unlikely that you would experience difficulties if you were to use off-road headlamps on the road.

Some eastern Seaboard states, such as NJ, PA, VA and MD, still specify that E-code headlamps may only be used on motorcycles, which is puzzling indeed--they seem to be saying that if you cut your car in half down the middle, you will be permitted to use lights that will allow you to SEE at night, but NOT if you wish to have all four wheels on the ground at once! This is one of those "olde-tyme" laws that never got wiped from the books by "enlightened" lawmakers. It's interesting to note that while most states don't care what kind of headlamp you install on your own car, Oregon, Washington and a few other states explicitly PERMIT E-code headlamps on all vehicles, because of their superiority in the rainy and foggy weather conditions experienced there."

and

"Nice theory, but will I get pulled over for having E-code lights?

Of course, I cannot guarantee that it won't happen. Have I ever been pulled over for having non-USA headlamps? Absolutely never. I've driven with these lamps in four different cars in 14 states, including the full length of California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Illinois, etc. and have absolutely NEVER raised the attention of any cops, even when I drive past them with my lights on. And the car I drive most often is using special dichroic bulbs that cast a very strong yellow light, which is clearly a non-stock light color. I still have never had a problem. The fact of the matter is that back in the '70s when all cars had sealed beams, E-code lamps stuck out like sore thumbs. But today, with the proliferation of so many different headlamp designs, together with the elimination of headlamp inspections in at least 45 states, nobody knows or cares what kind of headlamps you're running, as long as they don't call attention to themselves with odd light colors (i.e. blue bulbs) or gross misalignment that produces undue glare for oncoming traffic.

So as far as on-road legality goes, there are practically no worries, you won't likely get stopped for your lights if they are aimed correctly. Remember, E-code headlamps are less offensive to oncoming traffic, so it's not as though you'll be calling attention to yourself with glaring lamps.

If you live in the US states of Oregon, Washington, Alaska or Massachussets, or in the great nation of Canada, then E-code lamps are 100 percent legal and none of these concerns apply to you even on a theoretical level."

Important to the discussion is the distinction of what may be "sold" versus what may be "installed." Sold is for off-road use only, but unless your state prohibits the installation, it is legal to install the lights for on-road use.

Hope this helps. :smash:

[Modified by EHS, 8:29 AM 11/27/2001]
Old 11-27-2001, 08:24 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Yeah ;)

So far all I've found for Texas is during the inspection process "headlight lamps must be department standards." Of course no where can I find what the standards are. :rolleyes: Hrmph.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:48 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (chadwick)

Yeah ;)
So far all I've found for Texas is during the inspection process "headlight lamps must be department standards." Of course no where can I find what the standards are. :rolleyes: Hrmph.

If you return to the link above, he provides the proper "markings" that the typical state inspector looks for on the lamps. Of course, he does not advocate putting those markings on the T-84 headlight assemblies. That would be wrong. :cheers:
Old 11-27-2001, 09:02 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Or maybe a little etched in message: "I pass inspection or my owner smacks you!" :D :jester
Old 12-03-2001, 02:36 PM
Bob Caffey
Advanced

Thanks for the very complete headlight info i am going dump my bpp system and upgrade my stock lights as you suggest
Old 12-04-2001, 11:54 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (Bob Caffey)

Be sure to keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:42 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the comments. If you would like, I can expand this post with more details (including pics of the results (at night) and installation details) -- which, I guess could be the basis for a FAQ post.

Let me know and I'll try and expand it this weekend (between the errands).

Thanks again -- part of trying to help is knowing it's appreciated. :blueangel:
Great post EHS, the more details the better...Thanks in advance.... :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-05-2001, 06:13 PM
VETFEVR
Instructor

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (dogdoc)

:cheers: EHS & SHOCKWAVE
Wanted to add my thanks and kudo's to the above regarding clarification of the systems. I upgraded to the Euro T-84 some time ago and found a nice change in the light quality over stock for sure. EHS post about the bulb change was taken to heart and I went to NAPA and purchased 2 H4 80/100 bulbs (motorcycle) for $10.25 ea. :D :D :D
After removing the T-84's (a little better at it the second time! :smash: :smash: ) and changing the bulbs all I can say is WOW, what a difference. This is probably one of the coolest upgrades you can do to your lights. I have an HID system on my S500 and this upgrade is really close as far as "amount" of light. This is a great forum, with great members and info. Thanks again. Here in the dark midwest, these lights are way cool :cool: :cool: :cool:
FEVR
Y2K MY Coupe, Loaded A4/F45 (R8C - NCMLT #670): MODS - TRIC/MAG+COBRA, GMS MAF, 3.42'S, S YANK 3500, TTS LONG TUBES & PWRLDRII, CORSA TR'G (GTR) W/X PIPE, PTC Stage II Heads/Cam LS6 Intake, Custom Programming, Fikse FM10 w/Mich P Sprt 295-35-19R, 265-35-18F, DRM SS Brake Lines, Z06 Factory Callipers, Metallic Pads; Protection - V1, E-Code's, Window Cmndr & NVRNUF ZAINO
Best 1/4: 12.42@113.6 2.01 60'
Latest DynoJet 1200 #'s: 363RWHP/393RWTQ
Old 12-05-2001, 09:02 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (VETFEVR)

Vetfevr:

Glad to hear you at least seem to be done with your headlight mods, if not the rest of the car. :D

That's some signature! :smash:

I particularly appreciated your comparison of the T-84s with the HIDs -- you drive behind both and that means a lot in confirming what is on this forum always a controversial issue.

:cool:
Old 12-05-2001, 09:10 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, EHS, sum it up for us. Legality aside, what is the best way to go on a C5, money not being an issue, just the best performing lights you can buy. What would you do?

Greg
:cool:
Old 12-05-2001, 10:40 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (gmatson)

gmatson:

Money and install headaches not being an issue:

- T-84 headlight assemblies ($75)
- High Power after market harness ($120)
- 100w/130w Narva H4 bulbs ($80)
- Euro fog lights (better than the PIAA 1100x - they remain adjustable) w/H3 bulbs ($150 +/-)

Installation -- probably 4-6 hours from someone competent (in NYC $70/hr).

Remember, this will light up the night. For about $800 total.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:16 PM
JIMBONIC
Pro

Where do you get the Euro FOG lights? :confused:
Old 12-06-2001, 02:35 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (JIMBONIC)

From any Chevy dealer, or call Bob Wendorff at http://www.fichnterchevrolet.com He actually sells them all the time and has the part numbers memorized, which are:

#10274295 LH Driver's Side Export Foglight - $102.75 list
#10274296 RH Passenger's Side Export Foglight - $102.75 list

The nice thing about these, while they are as bright or brighter than the PIAA 1100xs (use H3 bulbs), they mount on the stock brackets and keep the Torx (tm) adjustment feature.

Hope this helps. :smash:
Old 12-06-2001, 08:22 PM
Mag Red Monster
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Good info EHS.............but my Piaa's are fully adjustable!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:16 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (Mag Red Monster)

How, pray tell?

By bending the mounting bracket until, "it looks pretty good?"

Or, by turning the finely threaded factory adjustment screw?
Old 12-07-2001, 08:32 AM
C5_SWISS
Burning Brakes

EHS, Thanks!!!! :cheers:

A man who knows he's talking about!!! :cool: :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!

Old 12-07-2001, 11:59 AM
Mag Red Monster
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

How, pray tell?

By bending the mounting bracket until, "it looks pretty good?"

Or, by turning the finely threaded factory adjustment screw?
:rolleyes: You know your comment kinda pissed me off at first as it sounded a bit on the smart butt side :yesnod: .......but I decided, as my signature wasn't posted where you will find a link to the procedure, to let it slide. As you can see.............I don't bend them "till they look pretty good"..................I use that................how did you put it???????........................" the finely threaded adjustment screw"

Old 12-07-2001, 08:32 PM
Mag Red Monster
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

EHS.....I was also wondering if the reason you didn't like the Piaa's was simply the adjustability factor. I can't imagine the Export Fogs being brighter than the Piaa's :confused:
Old 12-08-2001, 08:08 AM
EHS
Race Director

[QUOTE]Good info EHS.............but my Piaa's are fully adjustable!

...You know your comment kinda pissed me off at first as it sounded a bit on the smart butt side ....but I decided, as my signature wasn't posted where you will find a link to the procedure, to let it slide. As you can see.............I don't bend them "till they look pretty good"..................I use that................how did you put it???????........................" the finely threaded adjustment screw"

EHS.....I was also wondering if the reason you didn't like the Piaa's was simply the adjustability factor. I can't imagine the Export Fogs being brighter than the Piaa's :confused:

Mag Red Monster:

"...a bit on the smart butt side," LOL ... sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

My confusion started when you said your PIAAs were fully adjustable, without mentioning that you custom fabricated an adjustment bracket with a drilled steel angle. The export fog lamps sold by Chevy don't require any custom fabrication, they just bolt right in and the adjustment features is retained. Most people that I've seen install the 1100X do not bother (or don't have the skill like you do) to custom fabricate a bracket -- they just "bend 'em 'til they look pretty good." Sorry that I assumed from your original post without the additional information that you also needed to reach in and bend them.

Hope you don't mind that I am posting this picture from your website that shows another view of the steel angle for those that want to fabricate the part and make the factory adjuster work again:

Regarding your second question, I really have no dislike for the PIAA 1100x. The question above was relating to fog lights. The 1100x (as I'm sure you know) are driving lights, not really applicable in foggy conditions. While fog lights (if adjusted differently) can double as driving lights, it's difficult to go the other way, because the driving light beam pattern isn't really suit-able for foggy conditions (similar to why high beams don't work in fog).

Here's the link to the PIAA site: http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3...?inc=1100.html

Also, another reason why I like the export fog lights is that they can go as high as 85 watts. The PIAA 1100x are 55 watts. More watts, brighter light.

Finally, price wise their comparable (discounted).

Hope this clears up my comment since I really was honestly confused y your first post on how stock 1100xs retain the adjustment. No offense intended.
:cheers:

Quick Reply: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!