C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 08:16 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust (Vettepartz)

Looks like a good Exhaust DynoDay is in the making... keep everyone posted on the results!

I like the sound/looks of aftermarket systems... There are plenty other places on the car to improve your HP besides starting with the exhaust system! :yesnod:
Old 09-05-2016, 04:04 AM
anzael
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a hp pick up with the reseller's exchange depletes yet they are insignificant. Generally 6-9hp. A great many people purchase a reseller's exchange as a result of sound and looks. The exchange off is, your Z06 framework weighs almost no and most reseller's exchanges measure a great deal more than your Z06 framework. Along these lines, I think it comes down to what you need most. Any hp picked up with a reseller's exchange will be counterbalanced by the weight picked up.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Which exhaust depends on your priorities

I installed a Z06 Ti exhaust on my C5 coupe several years ago. Liked it but it sounded a bit mild for my personal preferences.

Before you make the switch, however, here are issues you need to address:
1. Drone...virtually all of the aftermarket exhausts will drone...some only at very low rpms, and others through the midrange. The Ti's don't drone, a result of Corvette's engineering I am told. So if listening to your stereo is important, then you might be disappointed/frustrated by the drone from an aftermarket exhaust.
2. Performance potential...my tuner (Quality Motorsports (QMS) in Lewisville, TX) advised me the Ti's tend to limit the maximum power my LS1 engine might otherwise obtain if I added headers, heads, cam, a supercharger, etc. A properly selected aftermarket exhaust could help avoid that limitation.

I spent lots of money (and my own time) to install a great sound system (purchased from Dennis at Double D Mods). Then I had QMS build my engine's power potential by adding all of the above-listed mods while retaining the stock crank, rods and pistons. Power maxed at about 520 rwhp. QMS told me I'd need to add a more robust tranny and switch to an aftermarket exhaust if I wanted more power. So I switched to a B&B PRT exhaust and concurrently added an RPM Level VI automatic tranny. The resulting tune yielded 600 rwph and 520 lb/ft. But I now experience drone between 1,600 rpms and about 2,500 rpms, spoiling somewhat the sound quality from my stereo. I live with it, but it's not the optimal outcome.

Obviously there was a tradeoff.

So...know what you want to do with your C5 before you make the switch.

My $0.02 worth.

The Lizzard

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 09-06-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:50 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

You're answering a 1 day old thread. He was posting to a 15 year old thread.

Last edited by grantv; 09-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

wow. this is one of the oldest threads i have seen come back yet

gosh i miss 2001. such a great time

Quick Reply: Z06 Titanium vs Aftermarket Exhaust