C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:15 PM
1stz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Issue

I did a search without any resolve but my driver side window on my Z has been having problems for the last few months. A couple weeks ago it just "snapped", literally.

I followed the steps on the how-to's and got in there and sure enough, the cable inside is ripped apart!?!?!

I have always done all my own work and I want to fix it but I am really thinking about dropping it off at the GM dealership because this looks like a PITA.

Does anyone here have any experience with this??

What should I do??

Thanks guys!!

J.R.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Itallian33
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

it is easy to take that apart and replace.
I would give it a 4 on a scale of 1-10.

Take a look at this

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1888053

Pm me if you have any questions.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Cake I have done 3 of them not hard at all.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If you replace the whole window regulator assembly, and don't get into trying to work on the motor or drive assembly, it is a very easy job. I have replaced both the drivers and passenger window regulators because the motors just quit working. You are lucky if yours worked long enough to wear out the cables. Mine still looked new, the motors just quit.

The hardest part is getting the door panel off without breaking any of the nylon fasteners or breaking them out of the panel.
I put masking tape on the outside weather strip along the top of the door to mark the height of the glass and forward position of the glass, which made it a lot easier to put it back in exactly the same position. If your window fits right without any leaks, you probably want to do this instead of adjusting it from scratch.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 01-07-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy job, for sure! The Corvette's door panel opening is huge...you won't have any problem getting your arms in there.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

with TEXHAWK0
you need a new regulator.

Expect to pay ~$200 for the regulator and if you get it installed by a mechanic expect to fork out $350-400

Replacement isn't too difficult. Here's a tutorial I wrote up when replacing mine.
....if you're a DIY guy look here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=window
Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 AM
bbentley40
Racer

If you need a drivers side window assembly let me know.. I bought what I THOUGHT was a unused passengers side assembly.. turns out it is the drivers side. PM if your interested.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM
corvettewilly
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Mechanic friend looked in the door compartment at the window and the attachements and could see nothing wrong with my window so he is pretty sure it is a frayed cable. He also said that from experience he believes I have to buy a whole new regulator even though the motor seems fine.

So I seem to maybe have a frayed cable on my 04 C5. the window was making a scratching, grinding noise lately and stuck a few times before, always at 2or 3 inches (on the way up) and now after some bigger scratching noises it won't ever go up more than 2 inches.

Oh by the wway I don't see any dates on the posts so I don't know if this is new info or old...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM
1stz06
Advanced

I finally ordered, received, and installed my window regulator. It was a pretty easy job using the How-To THERADIOFLYER's wrote.....well done my friend.

I do have a problem though. After getting the new unit installled, I am getting some horrible screeching/squeling sound and then the thing binds up and stops after moving only a few inches. I have tried it with all bolts loosened (10MM) and then with the window removed and still get the same results.

Do you think the new unit is defective?? The only thing I haven't tried yet is to totally remove the unit and see if I can get it to work outside the car.

Thoughts, comments, questions.......please help..!

Thanks,
J.R.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

sounds like the cable that moves the window is starting to fray. remove the door panel and power the window up and down. (look for the cable to get stuck.

If the cable is the problem, this means you'll have to replace the entire thing again. (you might want to ask for a refund for the defective product you just installed.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
1stz06
Advanced

I haven't even put the thing back together again, I was able to catch it before I got it all back together.

It is definately binding somewhere, I can't imagine that I installed it incorrectly....seems pretty fool proof. It is making noises just like my old unit did before the cable broke.

J.R.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

the installation would not have affected the cable unless you bent the cable sleeve violently (like with vice grip pliers or a hammer)
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
1stz06
Advanced

Damn brother, I knew you were going to say that.

I bought the unit from a CF Member's friend and I don't know what his "return policy" is.

J.R.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

if he said it was new, then he should refund your $$. If it was used, wire-wear is part of operation and there's no way he could have known it was starting to fray until it was too late.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Don't think I would go with a used window regulator with all the problems they have. If someone took it out of a car, it is probably because it was not working right.
I have helped a friend change 3 or 4 window regulators that he got cheap from someone else, and they all quit working.
I would buy a new unit from a dealer on this one.

I have also tested them and had them work out of the door, but when put under load with the glass attached, no deal.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM
1stz06
Advanced

I was told it was a new one and it looked new but........I honestly feel this guy didn't intensionally sell me a bad one or a used one. Hopefully he will at least try to help me out a bit. I know I would refund someone there money even if it wasn't my fault that I sold them a bad NEW part. That's just me......my word is my bond.

We'll see.

J.R.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

while your waiting, look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-Co...Q5fAccessories

they offer a refund if you send in your old regulator.

Make sure you tell them which side you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Issue

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Blu
Melting Slicks

I have a lose rattling drivers side window, anyone know what the cause of that might be and what I would need to fix it? Is still goes up and down fine its just really lose and rattles when its down.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

rattling when down is usually a sign of loose window clamps. All corvette side windows will rattle a little when down (especially when closing the door) it's just a quirk.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Blu
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
rattling when down is usually a sign of loose window clamps. All corvette side windows will rattle a little when down (especially when closing the door) it's just a quirk.
This is definitely more than the norm, my other Vette did not do this. Just looking for options on what might need replacing.

Quick Reply: Window Issue