C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Insulation/Sound Proofing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
jet2vettes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interior Insulation/Sound Proofing

I've read some threads on adding insulation (Frost King) to the rear cargo area to reduce noise. I was unable to find Frost King insulation at either Lowes of Home Depot, but did find Reflectix duct insulation. Would this be an acceptable substitute?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to do this also along with my stereo install next weekend!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 PM
NealB
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a similar product in a 56 BelAir I owned (installed by previous owner)

don't think it was worth much

I put B Quiet (similar to Dynamat) in my Z06 and it made a huge difference

more money, but sometimes you get what you pay for
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

It will not work as well IMO, the Reflectix would be better for insulating for heat transfer from the center consol area. Plus Frost king is sticky on the back so you don’t need tape or glue. You need something that will dampen the sound a little. I had to look down the duct/vent isle at Lowes (not the insulation isle with the wall/ceiling insulation). The Relectix was easy to find but if you look/ask I bet your Lowes as well.

Although there are many heavy (and expensive) sound dampeners that are better than the Frost King. The FK is very easy to use, cheap and light. I had great results using FK front and rear. I used two layers in parts of the back (mostly in the compartments) and double behind the seats. I also used 3 wedge packs of Dynomatt extreme (expensive) to really kill the road noise. You can take small chunks of Dynomatt and apply to an area 3 or 4 times its size and it will dampen that whole area well. I am very happy with my results. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 PM
jet2vettes
Racer

Thanks guys. I installed the reflectix in the hatch area and behind the seats. I have to agree not thrilled with the results. I may have to redo the job with the Frost King. I guess I was too anxious. Nevertheless, the job was not too difficult and a learning experience. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:12 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

You might need gloves installing the FK. It will give you "paper cuts" on your hands without them. The aluminum foil backing is thick and sharp.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you could do it right and get luxury liner from second skin audio... this stuff blocks a significant amount of sound, whereas frostk ing blocks a minimal amount of sound, and only at frequencies above 2khz or so.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jet2vettes
I've read some threads on adding insulation (Frost King) to the rear cargo area to reduce noise. I was unable to find Frost King insulation at either Lowes of Home Depot, but did find Reflectix duct insulation. Would this be an acceptable substitute?

Reflectix works well too. Many forum members have used it. Frost King is generally located in the heating/AC/plumbing areas... not the house insulation section. I have seen it recently at both Lowes and Home Depot.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

A whole other subculture.

Speed
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Speeed-Racer
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

A whole other subculture.

Speed
Hey Speed; did anyone inform you that wholesome girls aren't usually named "Tricksy"...

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Another vote for second skin foam. It makes driving with Borla stingers bearable at highway cruise.

Note:

Dynamat and other aluminum backed sheets are dampening material. These reduce noise caused by panel vibrations.

Acoustic Foam reduces sound waves that originat outside the vehicle (extremly effective for loud exhaust when placed on the wall behind the seats)
Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

Have "noise makers" -heads/cam,high stall converter;headers; corsa indy exhaust -used the Frost King 3 years ago and it has been fine even in the presence of "noise makers."
Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 AM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Yes, there are many better insulation kits available. But for the price, convenience of purchasing from your local home improvement store, ability to purchase as much or as little as you desire and as needed, overall weight, reduction of heat, and ease of insulation - Frost King will be one of the best IMO. I also believe FK will block many frequencies below 2K. Maybe not all frequency and perhaps not as effective as others but a definate improvment in my case.

If you want an improvement over factory insulation - FK works great.

If you’re obsessed with sound or have a mega sterio system then look elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 AM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Lowes and home depot do carry Frost King, but not a lot of it. I had to go to to two stores to get five rolls. It is in the ac/heating section but was almost hidden. The stuff does work. I just did from behind the seats back and put two layers on just about everything. I also removed the wheel well liners and put a layer on them and stuffed some up in fender wells area were fuel filler is. I used Mike Mercury's post as instructions. For $85 I got rid of of the tire noise and a lot of the exhaust.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JEEP/C5
If you want an improvement over factory insulation - FK works great.

If you’re obsessed with sound or have a mega sterio system then look elsewhere.
couldn't agree more

FK is a good bang-for-buck product, but it's "entry level". Very lightweight and inexpensive.

There's better product out there... Dynamat Xtreme, D'Amplifier pro, the pre-cut kits available from a forum vendor... but they will add weight and $$$. One needs to size-up their goals and pick accordingly.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
jet2vettes
Racer

This forum continues to be an amazing resource. I used Mike Mercury's write-up for my installation and it was a breeze. With regard to the Frost King insulation, I found some rolls in Lowes but it was not the 1/8" thick rolls indicated in Mike Mercury's write up. It was similar to the insulation for a water heater. I'll keep looking.

To all the other forum members trumping the after market sound deadening materials, I read all their websites and agree that their products are far superior. However, I'm only looking for a modest improvement in the interior sound level so the Frost King solution fits my situation and my budget.

Thanks again for all the constructive comments.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
wuznme
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought some secondskin pro and lux liner... Once I get some time to install will post good/bad.

Ditching the RF's and was a BIG help.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Insulation/Sound Proofing

Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
razorhead
Intermediate

Default insulation

I used 2" foam just cut it to size and lay it in the wells. Works great.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been thinking about putting insulation in after seeing the instructions on Tim's, er Mike Mercury's web site. I was concerned about the amount of weight added. Sounds like FK is pretty light.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Speeed-Racer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Hey Speed; did anyone inform you that wholesome girls aren't usually named "Tricksy"...

Well, it took me a while to figure that out...but, I ditched her a few years back for one I could take home to "meet the folks". That one bought me a Corvette for my 40th

Speed

Quick Reply: Interior Insulation/Sound Proofing