C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Weather Stripping

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM
BugsyK
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Weather Stripping

Well, I tried the window tip in adjustment on my 99 convertible but I can still see a gap in the top front of the window. I guess it will need to have the weather stripping replaced. Has anyone done this or had it done? It looks like a PITA to DIY and I'm thinking the Chevy Dealer will want a fortune. Who's best suited for a job like this a paint and body shop or an auto glass shop? Or am I completely off base and it's a simple DIY job?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM
vincentjames501
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume your windows leak? Mine do to. It would be a simple DIY job IMO. But I'm curious whether or not new weather striping will actually fix the problem. If so, I'll definitely buy it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 PM
DRR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a '98 Vert and put a new top and all the weather stripping on last summer. The old top was faded, cut at the side fold by too long screws (factory) and the window was falling out.

I don't have pics of the window weather strips close up, but they are very simple to install.

But you may save some money by refreshing the old strips. Try cleaning them with alcohol, followed by a lube with silicone or synthetic grease.

See if that stops your leaks.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
BugsyK
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced. I can see the gap at the front of the window. How is the old weather stripiing attached, is it just glue or some other adhesive? I thought installing new would be fairly easy but didnt know how difficult it would be to remove the old. Did you just get the weather stripping from chevy?

Get notified of new replies

To New Weather Stripping

Quick Reply: New Weather Stripping