C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map LIghts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Crewrow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map LIghts

I'd like to replace the lights that are under the review mirror with something brighter. According to an auto parts website the bulb # is 2122. Has anyone else changed theirs out for something brighter?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
vincentjames501
Burning Brakes

I just changed mine. I had blue led ones that looked good but one of them went out and I just took the cheaper route and installed the OEM ones. I don't remember the part number though but they are much brighter than my dark blue led ones were for sure.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Crewrow
Racer

So you're saying the ones that come in the car were brighter than an upgrade you did?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:08 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

In most cases the OEM bulbs are brighter than replacement LEDs....but if you want a White light, rather than the yellow ish OEM, then LED Festoon bulbs are the way to go
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Crewrow
Racer

Okay, any link to that by chance? I'm def. looking for a brighter/whiter light..
Old 02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

visit autolumination.com and check out the festoon bulb section. I put superwhites in mine and I think its as bright if not brighter than stock, plus they produce a very white light.

I also retrofitted festoon blue LED bulbs into the stock lights in my hatch area, and then added two extra factory hatch lights along side, also with festoon bulbs. here what it looks like. I have some better pics of just what the front maplights look like, but I would have to dig them up.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Crewrow
Racer

Man that looks great!
If there's a way you could PM the map light pics to me that would be awesome....

Is it pretty easy to change out? Sorry for all the questions, still a newbie vette owner.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:09 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

I have this one,

I thought I had some better somes somewhere though.

replacing them is easy, pry the lenses off the map lights carefully. pull the old bulb out. be very careful if the maplights were on, the bulb will be hot enough to melt your skin if it has been on for more than a minute or two (ask me how I know ) then put the LED bulb in place. do this with the map lights on since LED's are directional, that means that unlike an incandescent bulb which will work either way, the LED must be inserted in the right direction for it to light up. touch it to the contacts without snapping it into place and if it works snap it in, if not rotate 180 degrees and snap it in. make sure you have the LED's pointing downwards as they only project light in one direction.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Crewrow
Racer

Man that looks sweet! Exactly what I'm looking for... I assume you used these: http://superlumination.com/images/au...loop_w_wm.jpg?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

I actually used this type:

the maplights don't have the hoop style connectors, they use the standard 44mm festoon which snaps in.

Get notified of new replies

To Map LIghts

Quick Reply: Map LIghts