C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Shakes When Slowing Down

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 07:41 PM
rayjerman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Shakes When Slowing Down

I have 1998 C5. Just bought it about 5 weeks ago and when I slowed down it would shake. I put new pads on the front and turned both front rotors. It helped alot, but when I slow down fast from a high speed (80mph) it still wants to shake. I don't really feel it in the steering wheel but in the brake pedal and the whole car kinda shimmies. What could be causing this. Thanks. :chevy
Old 12-04-2001, 07:42 PM
THENAKEDi
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down (rayjerman)

Sounds like warped rotors or incorrectly installed pads...Just a guess.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:49 PM
Paradigm
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down (THENAKEDi)

No doubt warped rotors. New rotors are $50 - $55 each. Try - The Last Detail - they have always been good on GM rotor pricing.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:48 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Ditto on what everyone else said. Buy four new rotors and you'll be in great shape. They're cheap. :cheers:
Old 12-04-2001, 10:28 PM
bk
Racer

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down (QUIKAG)

Rotors. Try Fitchner Chevrolet on the forum. The have the C5 racing rotor for $89. They are a little thicker cheeked and seem to resist warping better. It's also helpful to make sure the wheel nut torque is correct.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:35 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down

You heard of the down home blues, the car is just doing the down home shimmy, shimmy!
Old 12-05-2001, 09:26 AM
Mystery Fan
Instructor

When you have the problem repair make sure they don't over torque the lugnuts. Over torqued wheels will warp the rotors.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:57 PM
Quake
Instructor

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down (Mystery Fan)

I have a 98 vert and have this problem with my vette. I am going to bring it ino the dealer for a check in the next few weeks and will mention the possibility of rotor problems. I have a warranty with the car still, should it be convered under the warranty? Does anyone know if the 98 verts had any problems? I mentoned a metal clanking sound a few months ago and had the dealer remove my dash and install new brackets that they said would fix the problem. It was fine on the way home, but later on in the day it started rattling again. It usually rattles when it is warmer (sunny) outside. I have had people in the car with me that can atest to the sound so I am not crazy :D Thanks again everyone for your help. :cheers:
Old 12-05-2001, 07:33 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down (Quake)

I have a 98 vert and have this problem with my vette. I am going to bring it ino the dealer for a check in the next few weeks and will mention the possibility of rotor problems. I have a warranty with the car still, should it be convered under the warranty? Does anyone know if the 98 verts had any problems? I mentoned a metal clanking sound a few months ago and had the dealer remove my dash and install new brackets that they said would fix the problem. It was fine on the way home, but later on in the day it started rattling again. It usually rattles when it is warmer (sunny) outside. I have had people in the car with me that can atest to the sound so I am not crazy :D Thanks again everyone for your help. :cheers:
We've seen some dealers repalce them and others balk, while under warranty. Perhaps check with them before coming in, telling them you know that's what you have and what is their fix for it.

RG
Old 12-05-2001, 11:04 PM
radoC5
Instructor

Default Re: Car Shakes When Slowing Down (RG in Dallas)

Mine did the same thing and I took it in to the dealer they said that rotors were warped due to excessive braking! Well I bought it this way so I turned the fronts and bought new pads all the way around and bought new rear disc's and it is all better but sadly I cant get the squeak out of the front? Give that a try.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:06 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotors for sure. cant be anything else if it only happens when stopping.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Shakes When Slowing Down

Quick Reply: Car Shakes When Slowing Down