C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

three problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
mike-ssi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default three problems.

1) every so often when i start the car and put it in gear it dies out. this will happen several times until i accelerate slightly while shifting to drive or reverse so it doesn't die. it is not constant, just every 2-3 months.

2) when accelerating normally from about 45-48mph i get a nasty stutter and hesitation like it's missing or fouled out. i took it for a check up and they didn't find any codes but said they saw a plug wire arcing out and suggested all new plugs, wires, etc. it seems to behave normally under any other circumstances, even if i nail it at much slower speeds.

3) the alarm function on the keyless allows me to set the alarm but it only pyhsically locks the passenger door. do i have something set wrong? i've had the car about a year but i'm not sure if this is a new
or i just never noticed it.

any body have any ideas? thanks!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mike-ssi
1) every so often when i start the car and put it in gear it dies out. this will happen several times until i accelerate slightly while shifting to drive or reverse so it doesn't die. it is not constant, just every 2-3 months.

2) when accelerating normally from about 45-48mph i get a nasty stutter and hesitation like it's missing or fouled out. i took it for a check up and they didn't find any codes but said they saw a plug wire arcing out and suggested all new plugs, wires, etc. it seems to behave normally under any other circumstances, even if i nail it at much slower speeds.

3) the alarm function on the keyless allows me to set the alarm but it only pyhsically locks the passenger door. do i have something set wrong? i've had the car about a year but i'm not sure if this is a new
or i just never noticed it.

any body have any ideas? thanks!
So did you follow the suggestions and replace the plugs and wires?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
So did you follow the suggestions and replace the plugs and wires?
Nah, that would only fix problems #1 and #2 ... why do that ?????

mike-ssi ......

In reverse order ... you most likely have a bad solenoid in your DCM ... go here on instructions on diagnosing/fixing the problem ....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1606865

For your first two problems .... new plugs and wires ......

Order and install .....

AC Delco Iridium 41-985 spark plugs. They come CORRECTLY pre-gapped at 0.040 inches.

GM Performance Parts wire kit - contains 8 wires in the kit. GM part number is 12495519

You can get the spark plugs from almost any Auto store (Napa, Pep Boys, AutoZone ....) and many can also get the wires. Otherwise you can order the wires from supporting vendors such as

http://www.gmpartshouse.com

or

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

Last edited by BlackZ06; 02-20-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your codes? Codes are set for a lot of things and can tell you what some of the issues are. Not all codes will set a check engine light. You may want to clear the codes, then check them every so often to see what comes up. When you find one, search here and you may find what you need. Don't worry if you get a long list, some are set often and can be ignored.

Also, fill out your info on year of Vette and other info, like its an automatic, and the general area where you live. This will help people to help you.

The starting problem could be IAT sensor not working right. The hesitation sounds like an issue with down shifting. But, having any codes that are set will tell you more specifically whats going on.

Get notified of new replies

To three problems.

Quick Reply: three problems.