C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 04:32 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And

So.... do plug kits do any good for you in a more drastic tire situation, like say when the sidewall is slashed by a knife?
Old 12-23-2001, 06:56 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (jschindler)

I understand your point, but what if you were driving one of the majority of cars that has non-runflats and a spare in the trunk? You would still have to deal with no-where to pull over.
There are sections of the road where there is no place to pull over. If I am in my other car, I will drive that mile or so on the flat, until I can pull over. No way would I drive the Vette a mile on a flat tire. :nonod:

I have talked with other Vette owners who switched to Yoko Run-flats & loved the handling.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:01 PM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (Sully C5)

I have talked with other Vette owners who switched to Yoko Run-flats & loved the handling.
Sully,

I've pretty much made up my mind that this is the way I'm going to go also. Does anyone have any experience with the Yokohama RFs at the drag strip they'd like to share? Thanks!

Steve

[Modified by XTrooper, 11:03 PM 12/23/2001]
Old 12-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (XTrooper)

Sully,

I've pretty much made up my mind that this is the way I'm going to go also. Does anyone have any experience with the Yokohama RFs at the drag strip they'd like to share? Thanks!

Steve

[Modified by XTrooper, 11:03 PM 12/23/2001]
I put some on the rear back in February. They definitely gripped better than the EMTS off the line, but the EMT's had 18K miles on them. Not completely gone but about 5K miles from it. I've put 15K miles on the rears so far and have at least 10K left by my estimation. This after many (at least 25) passes down the strip. I just replaced the fronts and they run quieter and handle much better. I too would like to run non-runflats, but I think the risk out weighs the cost and handling advantage. I'd prefer not to be stranded.

If you think about it, most of the time a tire gets a slow leak and that can be picked up by the pressure sensors, this allows you to get air in time and the tire fixed. BUT, if your tire goes flat while driving you will most likely lose the bead and a plug kit and air compressor will do you no good :nono: .

[Modified by PoBoy Racer, 5:30 PM 12/23/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 01:14 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (MattG)

So Matt:

What non-runflat tires did you go with?

At first I went with the NITTO 555s all around. They are an incredible tire for the price but I needed something that would handle agressive cornering a bit better. I went with the BFG Gforce KD next and there is no turning back. These tires are truly amazing. I have never driven or raced on a tire that handled like these. They are very controllable even when you are past their traction limits. This was very important to me because often I have to use one set of tires for roadracing, autocrossing and street driving. I have even made a few trips down the 1/4 with these tires and was pretty impressed with their straight line traction. They also are not THAT bad in the rain and are pretty quiet. I just hope they come out with some wider sizes in the years to come so I can stick with them.

Matt,

I also just put a set of these on Friday and I'm also very impressed with the performance. They just stick really well.

Old 12-24-2001, 01:35 AM
jetskifast
Melting Slicks

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (XTrooper)

Just in case

[Modified by jetskifast, 11:35 PM 12/23/2001]

Quick Reply: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And