C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Experts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default problem

Ya know,
every post has you with in gear or in neutral. and because it's an automatic, your foot has to be on the brake.......................

1. Just for grins, check your tail light bulbs sockets for a problem with the stop light/turn signal wires, chafing, etc.

2. Check your third brake light for any wire chafing problems as well.

3. check the stop light switch, connector, etc.

4. What else is tied to the stop light switch that operates by relay? What else is on the parking brake handle?

It seems that in park or neutral, everything is hunky-dory, but with your size 10 planted on the brake pedal, it goes low.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 11-16-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 305 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
Ya know,
every post has you with in gear or in neutral. and because it's an automatic, your foot has to be on the brake.......................

1. Just for grins, check your tail light bulbs sockets for a problem with the stop light/turn signal wires, chafing, etc.

2. Check your third brake light for any wire chafing problems as well.

3. check the stop light switch, connector, etc.

4. What else is tied to the stop light switch that operates by relay? What else is on the parking brake handle?

It seems that in park or neutral, everything is hunky-dory, but with your size 10 planted on the brake pedal, it goes low.
Good advice... will check all the above.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
ruffian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always presumed that the variation in indicated voltage was due to the computer controlling the alternator for reasons not mentioned at all in this thread.

Fuel mileage, an alternator that is at full charge represents a fairly significant load on the engine and when trying to get every bit of fuel mileage and avoid the Gas Guzzler tax, the alternator could be outputing the absolute minimum amount of current needed to keep the car running.

Performance. See above. Engine output ratings are almost always done with the engine in a stand/bench dyno with the bare minimum accessories and no extraneous load. Why wouldn't the guys who programmed the ECM that controls the alternator to keep load at a minimum?

I see lots of measurements being made and some doubt about the DIC. The DIC voltage display is controlled by a computer, computers do what they are told to do. Put another way, DIC displayed voltage will be exactly what the PCM (or whichever *CM manages the IPC) tells it to be. The output to the PCM from the Alternator should be the same as the DIC output unless the PCM massages the data.

The Voltage gauge appears to be traditional, ie mechanical. Resistance is built in to damp the reading which is why it won't vary as much, and if anything it should read a little low if there is resistance in its circuit.

My Z06 has interesting fluctuations in the voltage which had me confused for a while. But after checking grounds, replacing battery with no change in behavior, I decided not to worry about it. I don't look at charging voltage in the DIC, I leave that to the gauge. Maybe that's ignorant on my part becuase I do have some electrical gremlins, but I think it's easier to troubleshoot some things when the clear problem is presented.

Just food for thought.
bob
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM
ruffian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
Good advice... will check all the above.
With an assistant in the car, you should be able to block the wheels with the transmission in drive and not have the car run off... Of course if idle is too high, or you or your assistant has a brain fart and blips the throttle... you could have a prob..

That will allow you to remove the brake light/pedal switch, etc from the equation.

bob
Old 11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ruffian
With an assistant in the car, you should be able to block the wheels with the transmission in drive and not have the car run off... Of course if idle is too high, or you or your assistant has a brain fart and blips the throttle... you could have a prob..

That will allow you to remove the brake light/pedal switch, etc from the equation.

bob
Everything I could check looked OK. I don't think it is anything that happens as a "direct" result of the brake being applied, but rather when the engine RPM drops below about 800 RPM (i.e. when coming to a stop light or when starting the car initially). I tried just sitting in PARK this afternoon and if I took the engine to about 2000 RPM and let off quickly, the voltage dropped rapidly under 1000 RPM, engine stumbled and then recovered.

This afternoon I noticed that if I am going say 40MPH and apply the brakes neither of the voltage gauges show a drop until the engine RPM get under 1000 and then it will recover. I think the problem is that sometimes it dips further than other times and that is when the engine starts stumbling and I usually have to let off the brake to let the car roll a few inches and then it recovers.

Since I have now replaced EVERYTHING in the charging circuit except the harness, I am back to thinking that maybe it is another bad voltage regulator inside the new alternator? Either that or maybe the PCM is hosed?

Last edited by Choreo; 11-16-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally found my solution for most of the problems in this post.

See:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1567886982
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What an incredible post...... THIS is why I participate (only) in this forum. Incredible...... Thanks to all!

Quick Reply: Voltage Experts...