C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New fuel sytem but pressure still drops, causes, cures?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New fuel sytem but pressure still drops, causes, cures?

I just went with the racetronix harness and pump kit and only a few thousand miles ago changed out the fuel filter. The car is a 2000 so the filter has the regulator on it Even after the fuel filter change the car made about 50 PSI pressure at idle and I could manually activate the boost-a-pump and squeeze 55. Now with the new setup it sits on 60 but WOT at any speed/gear results in an instant drop of about 5 PSI. I manually trigger the BAP now and it seems to have no effect at idle or otherwise. I am thinking the BAP was not wired in although the shop says it is, definately using the stock wiring to trigger the relay as when the BAP is unplugged the car won't start. Considering doing the 97-98 style return system but my car is only making 507 RWHP, my current setup should work fine I would think. The only thing I am concerned with is the car stops making power around 6k, TQ drops pretty hard but the AFR I guess is OK, tuner didn't say anything. Running the ECS blower cam so I thought it would pull hard until the end. When my car was on 4lbs of boost it pulled hard until redline... The instant drop in fuel pressure and the lack of power past 6k rpms has me worried, any input guys?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Does the racetronix harness cover the pump ground as well? I would get the voltmeter and measure voltages at the pump and at the BAP. It would be a good thing if you could log the AFR's and all of the important parameters and see what's going on.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
I just went with the racetronix harness and pump kit and only a few thousand miles ago changed out the fuel filter. The car is a 2000 so the filter has the regulator on it Even after the fuel filter change the car made about 50 PSI pressure at idle and I could manually activate the boost-a-pump and squeeze 55. Now with the new setup it sits on 60 but WOT at any speed/gear results in an instant drop of about 5 PSI. I manually trigger the BAP now and it seems to have no effect at idle or otherwise. I am thinking the BAP was not wired in although the shop says it is, definately using the stock wiring to trigger the relay as when the BAP is unplugged the car won't start. Considering doing the 97-98 style return system but my car is only making 507 RWHP, my current setup should work fine I would think. The only thing I am concerned with is the car stops making power around 6k, TQ drops pretty hard but the AFR I guess is OK, tuner didn't say anything. Running the ECS blower cam so I thought it would pull hard until the end. When my car was on 4lbs of boost it pulled hard until redline... The instant drop in fuel pressure and the lack of power past 6k rpms has me worried, any input guys?

Something doesn't sound right here. Did you have the racetronix harness installed, or did they splice in the BAP? The racetronix harness comes with provisions for a BAP to be added later, so in other words, your car should run with or without the BAP connected.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Something doesn't sound right here. Did you have the racetronix harness installed, or did they splice in the BAP? The racetronix harness comes with provisions for a BAP to be added later, so in other words, your car should run with or without the BAP connected.
The BAP was previously installed in the car, and spliced into the wires by the battery box. I am thinking that they just added the racetronix harness and assuming the BAP (or forgetting) the BAP was already 'wired in', felt they didn't need to change anything.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
The BAP was previously installed in the car, and spliced into the wires by the battery box. I am thinking that they just added the racetronix harness and assuming the BAP (or forgetting) the BAP was already 'wired in', felt they didn't need to change anything.
In any case, something is not right if you unplug the BAP, and the car won't start off the primary fuel pump.

There is a provision in the racetronix harness for the BAP, why didn't they make use of that, and scrap the extra wiring? That way, you have one harness.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bap, if wired before the harness was installed, powered the pump. After the harness is installed that power going to the pump becomes the trigger for the harness relay.

I would confirm with the shop that this is NOT how they've wired it in because if they did, it would explain why disconnecting the BAP keeps the system from running (no trigger).. that, and unless your wanting the additional voltage of the BAP to power the relay instead of the pump, it's very wrong.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Gonna call the shop tomorrow, they are very hard to get ahold of. I'll report back my findings.

-Joe
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by lucky131969
In any case, something is not right if you unplug the BAP, and the car won't start off the primary fuel pump.

There is a provision in the racetronix harness for the BAP, why didn't they make use of that, and scrap the extra wiring? That way, you have one harness.
I figured something was wrong.

I asked them about it (the provision) but they said that where the BAP was would be OK.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by AVB
The bap, if wired before the harness was installed, powered the pump. After the harness is installed that power going to the pump becomes the trigger for the harness relay.

I would confirm with the shop that this is NOT how they've wired it in because if they did, it would explain why disconnecting the BAP keeps the system from running (no trigger).. that, and unless your wanting the additional voltage of the BAP to power the relay instead of the pump, it's very wrong.
Thats what I am afraid of. When the BAP kicks in it is only supplying the relay with more voltage, not the pump.

Get notified of new replies

To New fuel sytem but pressure still drops, causes, cures?

Quick Reply: New fuel sytem but pressure still drops, causes, cures?