C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI + Relocated coils + MSD wires = misfires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FI + Relocated coils + MSD wires = misfires?

I'm wondering if anyone had experienced misfires under load with relocated coils and the longer MSD wires. I fixed one wire twice and the misfire under load came back. Next step is to ohm test all the wires...
Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Actually when mine started with no mis fires I danced a jig in my garage....
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Same here, I was shocked and amazed that ran fine when I started it up.

350miles later though, one plug misfires and there's no more power.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Smoove

Kinda common,...just take your time when installing longer/hidden wires. I had the same issue with my setup, had to do it all over again. One at a time. As in, I installed and wired up one side,...tested, went to the other.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
roythomas
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD COILS DID NOT MAKE ME HAPPY !! WENT BACK TO LS6 other then that no isue relocating
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my case, by the time it's noticeable, it's usually been visible on the wire or boot.

I'm sure my wires go through hell but I've run the same for over a year and no problems. I use the cheap Accell 9000 high-heat wires to get the right lengths before ordering a pre-cut set by Taylor and so far haven't had the need to replace them.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Spritle
Racer

I reloacted the coils on a FI C6 and used the MSD plug wires. Same thing happened to me, ran fine for about 300 miles then started missing up top.

Turned out a plug boot wasn't on right and the spark was arcing to the head bolt. Poke your head under the hood and close far enough so the hood light goes out and have someone rev up the car. Should see the spark jump easily if its dark enough.

Last edited by Spritle; 07-30-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spritle
I reloacted the coils on a FI C6 and used the MSD plug wires. Same thing happened to me, ran fine for about 300 miles then started missing up top.

Turned out a plug boot wasn't on right and the spark was arcing to the head bolt.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I was hoping some neon light type tool existed to sense voltage leakage.
Poke your head under the hood and close far enough so the hood light goes out and have someone rev up the car. Should see the spark jump easily if its dark enough.
You're not trying to set me up for a Darwin award, are you?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:49 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Made my own wires with MSD 8.8 wire and used the OEM boots. I'm also using the stock LS6 coils with no issues for thousands of miles.

Did have an RF issue though with the PCM which has since been resolved.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

MSD COILS SUCK
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

I've done numerous coil relocations with MSD wires, and heve never once had a failure.

Well, I take that back, I did have one failure. One customer had his battery leak acid all over his brand new, 2 day old wires, and they melted. So he blamed being a cheap azz on me and filed a CC dispute claiming he never got the relocation kit in the first place, cause I refused to GIVE him another set of wires for free.

Even though he was aware that his battery was faulty, but refused to replace it cause he didnt want to spend the money.

Other than that scum bag, I've never had a failure.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
MSD COILS SUCK
He said MSD wires and relocated coils. Didn't hear him say MSD Coils.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM
YeloFevr
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by American_HP@Total Perf
I've done numerous coil relocations with MSD wires, and heve never once had a failure.

Well, I take that back, I did have one failure. One customer had his battery leak acid all over his brand new, 2 day old wires, and they melted. So he blamed being a cheap azz on me and filed a CC dispute claiming he never got the relocation kit in the first place, cause I refused to GIVE him another set of wires for free.

Even though he was aware that his battery was faulty, but refused to replace it cause he didnt want to spend the money.

Other than that scum bag, I've never had a failure.
And the customer's always right...

to that theory.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Spritle
Racer

Originally Posted by blu00rdstr
You're not trying to set me up for a Darwin award, are you?
Negative ghost rider.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 AM
jhong321
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you cant see the bad wire maybe check for a arking plug.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by American_HP@Total Perf
...One customer had his battery leak acid all over his brand new, 2 day old wires, and they melted. ...
I took the precaution of installing an Optima red top.

Earlier I found a wire with a broken conductor, and it measured 140ohms. I remeasured all the wires, and they're 80-120ohms. The plugs are clean. The wire crimps are solid. The wires have no burn marks. The boots are clean except near 5 and 7 where it looks like I may have a small exhaust gasket leak (hmm, carbon). I saw a few youtube examples where windex was misted on the wires to find a spark. I waited until dark to try that, but it was too late to load up the motor in the neighborhood.

The car runs smooth at idle, cruise and part throttle. Only under load does something misfire, and the PCM seems to cut power back.

I think I'll temporarily strap the coils in the old location, one side at a time with the short wires, and road test. If power comes back I'll install half the long wires and narrow down which wire is bad.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

...Poke your head under the hood and close far enough so the hood light goes out and have someone rev up the car. Should see the spark jump easily if its dark enough.
Spritle, you WIN!!! (My thanks!)

I waited until dark (9pm here) and covered the hood light (not gonna close the hood on my head). I mimicked the youtube windex test in the dark, and thick blue sparks jumped a half inch from the middle of the silicon spark plug boot to the exhaust header tube. Not something I want to put a finger near. Hard to believe at idle the spark would rather jump 1/2" to the header than across a .035" gap.

I think I need to order another plug boot, or find an high temp insulating sleeve.

Get notified of new replies

To FI + Relocated coils + MSD wires = misfires?

Quick Reply: FI + Relocated coils + MSD wires = misfires?