C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great way to hold balancer while removing bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Pic's 3 and 4
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2017, 05:56 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
If you use Firefox on your PC they have an add-on that shows the pictures again.
i have the addons for chrome and firefox and can see old images in other threads. i cant see these, however? why not?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoken1
If you use Firefox on your PC they have an add-on that shows the pictures again.
Pretty accurate, however, you must be using the new v57.x beta to get the photobucket addon (of which there are 3 different ones). The photobucket addon won't work with older versions. Also, I had to use the photobucket addon with the black camera icon to get the old 2008 photobucket pictures to load in this thread. The other addons didn't work here. It is nice to be able to see the images again... Woo-hoo.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:54 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Wow, good info...I dud see a tool from summit that wedges in the balancer to hold it. I do worry a little bit about the idler pulley as that bracket that holds it is a pain to swap...worst case though this will be the method I try...much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

This is what the PO used to do the job. His neighbor a fellow C5 owner had made this for work on his car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580794411
Old 11-27-2018, 06:08 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

This works great, manual or auto ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-1-2-3-LS...0mQk:rk:2:pf:0
Old 12-15-2022, 10:07 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 'VETTE PHASE
If you have had to remove your balancer from the front of the crank for any reason, and your car is an automatic, you know that holding the balancer to keep the engine from turning over is one of the hardest parts of the job, second only to actually removing the bolt.

Bill Curlee said in one thread that he had used a LARGE strap wrench to hold his. I have not seen my method anywhere, but it could be out there. If so, this will just make it a little easier to find in a search. I played off of Bills' theory a little bit and came up with this idea, and you don't even need any tools.

- I used the serpentine belt that I took off of the car and wrapped it around the idler pulley just to the right of the balancer (if you are facing the car).

- Take the "bottom" side of the belt and bring it around the bottom of the balancer, feeding it under the top wrap. Keep feeding it around until it is snug.

- This is what it should look like. When you begin to loosen the bolt, it will move about an inch or so before it tightens up. It WILL NOT move once the belt tightens up. And the harder you try to turn the more it will tighten upon itself.

The pictures above show how to wrap the belt if you are removing the bolt. When you get ready to re-install the new bolt, just reverse the wrap around the balancer, starting at the bottom of the balancer and bringing your wrap around to the top.

Using this method, you are only limited to breaking the idler pulley or breaking the belt. It will take much more that 240 ft/lbs of torque to do that. I wasn't sure if the belt would be damaged by this and decided that if it did damage it, I would just put a new belt on. I don't have any long term results, but I could not see any damage and put the same belt back on the car.

I know it's a necro thread, but this is BRILLIANT! How did we ever fix anything before the interwebs?

Quick Reply: Great way to hold balancer while removing bolt.