C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code help (meaning of what is the meaning of the codes mean)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Code help (what is the meaning of the what these codes mean)

Ok guys
This is not your average "hey what does that code mean" post.
I already searched out and looked for the code meanings. There are many posts on how to get the codes and each of their "meanings", but what I would like to know is what do the meanings mean.

Basically what I am asking is "what is happening to my car" in idiot language

The issues are :
(PCM P0420 HC and P0430 HC) what is the twc system and what is a low bank on 1 and 2 mean?
(TCS C1255) what is the ebtcm? and what happens if it malfunctions?

Also, if I have IPC, A6 SCM, and BO-RFA codes? Will they effect anything (other then just showing something is wrong)

Currently it doesnt seem like I am having a problem, But hey what do i know. I mean the car is a beast and for I know it might not be running right and loosing power, even though i am impressed with what I got, i might be loosing what I should have......

Any help would be great

Last edited by TKT-MKR; 09-09-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

meaning of what is the meaning of the codes mean
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

This site explains many of them:
http://www.gearchatter.com/viewforum42.php
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
jerboa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Ok guys
This is not your average "hey what does that code mean" post.
I already searched out and looked for the code meanings. There are many posts on how to get the codes and each of their "meanings", but what I would like to know is what do the meanings mean.

Basically what I am asking is "what is happening to my car" in idiot language

The issues are :
(PCM P0420 HC and P0430 HC) what is the twc system and what is a low bank on 1 and 2 mean?
(TCS C1255) what is the ebtcm? and what happens if it malfunctions?

Also, if I have IPC, A6 SCM, and BO-RFA codes? Will they effect anything (other then just showing something is wrong)

Currently it doesnt seem like I am having a problem, But hey what do i know. I mean the car is a beast and for I know it might not be running right and loosing power, even though i am impressed with what I got, i might be loosing what I should have......

Any help would be great
I can help with some of your questions. The P0420 and P0430 codes have to do with the catalytic converters. Each exhaust bank has two oxygen sensors: Bank 1 sensor 1, Bank 1 sensor 2 and the same for Bank 2. One is before the converter and the other is after it. The difference between them tells the PCM whether your converters are working properly. Low bank readings mean problems with the converters.

The ebtcm is the electronic brake/traction control module. If it isn't right, then your traction control may be compromised. One of the ways the traction control works to correct a potentially dangerous situation is to have the computer selectively apply the brakes.

The other codes (IPC, A6 SCM, and BO-RFA) have to do with communication with the onboard computer. IPC= Instrument Panel Cluster. BO-RFA means no signal in 5 seconds. SCM is the Seat Control Module. Your symptoms in this area may indicate a possible poor ground in your electrical system. Look around for loose connections and check ground wires. Other symptoms may also be the result of poor communications with the computer.

HC means historic code or one that has occurred in the past.

Good luck!

Last edited by jerboa; 09-10-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added information
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 09-10-2008, 04:42 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

87sam and jerboa,
THANKS!!!!
That is exactly what i was looking for

jerboa, would high flow cats set off this signal? also, would the fact that i have 500 rwhp and tires that make it real easy to slip and the fact that I love to put the car sideways cause this error, since many times i pull out onto the road and put the car sideways and see the traction control indicator on the display

chicago1, i appreciate the gesture, but as i stated i already stated i know what they meant and even the meaning was stated in the original question.

lucky 131969, i appreciate the typo point out
Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM
jerboa
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jsbihn
87sam and jerboa,
THANKS!!!!
That is exactly what i was looking for

jerboa, would high flow cats set off this signal? also, would the fact that i have 500 rwhp and tires that make it real easy to slip and the fact that I love to put the car sideways cause this error, since many times i pull out onto the road and put the car sideways and see the traction control indicator on the display

chicago1, i appreciate the gesture, but as i stated i already stated i know what they meant and even the meaning was stated in the original question.

lucky 131969, i appreciate the typo point out
Installation of high flow cats will almost always gives the P0420 and
P0430 codes. Often the car self-corrects. If not, you may need an adjustment of your factory computer settings. A good tuner can easily make this adjustment. In fact, the tuning adjustment will let you take full advantage of the open flow exhaust. Fine tuning the computer could add 11 hp and 11 lb-ft of torque. Because you are flowing exhaust gas faster and freer than stock, the PCM may be confused.

Don't know why making the traction control do what it was designed to do should cause an ebtcm error. However, you may be getting the car far beyond the range that the traction control can handle and that could probably cause an error code. 30 engine starts should clear the historic code history. Drive the car for a while and then check the codes again.

IPC, SCM etc errors are likely separate from the converter and traction control codes. Did you disconnect the battery during the exhaust mods?

Last edited by jerboa; 09-10-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling, what else?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
jerboa
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by lucky131969
meaning of what is the meaning of the codes mean

Sorry, but the reply is not helpful. If you are not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Not everyone is completely articulate in asking a question. This should not discourage them from asking.

Do unto others as you.....

Last edited by jerboa; 09-10-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jerboa
Installation of high flow cats will almost always gives the P0420 and
P0430 codes. Often the car self-corrects. If not, you may need an adjustment of your factory computer settings. A good tuner can easily make this adjustment.

IPC, SCM etc errors are likely separate from the converter and traction control codes. Did you disconnect the battery during the exhaust mods?
thanks jerboa, yeah i had a feeling this car needed a good tune, i think i will be taking it to a shop here soon

i have disconnected the battery since the exhaust mod, why do you ask?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jerboa
Sorry, but the reply is not helpful. If you are not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Not everyone is completely articulate in asking a question. This should not discourage them from asking.

Do unto others as you.....
amen brotha!
personally i get upset reading a question someone has and other bashing it or recommending other things and so on. if it isnt constructive why say it?
i mean come on, if someone asks the best place to get hre's from why do others feel the need to bad mouth hre wheels or advertise that they have ccw wheels (which both have nothing to do with the asked question)

again, thanks jerboa!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Code help (meaning of what is the meaning of the codes mean)

Quick Reply: Code help (meaning of what is the meaning of the codes mean)