C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Indicator stuck in first

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:09 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shift Indicator stuck in first

Another problem I had with my 98 vett was the shift indicator was in the dark and stuck in first (automatic transmission). I wanted to change the light and and the only way to get there was to remove the panel around the shift lever. I took the console and instrument panel off to change the bulb and found the indicator was broken and the plastic piece that surrounded the bulb was melted. I took the assembly apart and using a 1/2 inch drill, I refreshed the area around the bulb. I then used epoxy to repair the orange shift indicator. I used a small piece form a clorox bottle as a splint on the shifter indicator to help beef it up.

Here are the parts I am talking about fixing

I enlarged this area to give clearance with the bulb. This bulb is "on" with the ignition on and apparently caused the plastic to melt.

Final assemmbly

The picture shows the shift indicator before assembly. It takes a little effort to disassemble and reassemble but it can be done. Now the question is how long will it last? Anyway I have more epoxy!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 AM
02603sec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice post

mine was broken too. Took it apart and couldn't find the piece that broke off. searching for the replacement needle is fruitless and time consuming. I took it out, now there is no confusion as to which gear I'm in.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice work.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
02603sec
Intermediate

Default about the shift needle--

I called my local corvette parts supplier- contemporarycorvette.com they had a needle for me. I installed it in 10 mins. These are RARE people that go beyond the extra mile to help. They once sold me a vette l98 for my iroc that didn't work out and replaced it. their ebay store is Fparts. NJ emissions wouldn't pass me without the shift needle. It's an attention getter, they see this beauty come in and 4 guys jump all over it, under the dash, opening the hood, hooking up to the ecm. Foreign cars just go right through.. your tax dollars at work.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
bobc997615
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you make sure that the needles slides easily on the guide, it should last for quite a while. The big thing is to carefully assemble the indictor/shift assembly to the console as to not break the needle again. It is kind of a engage the indicator in a down motion, slide the asm to the left, then to the fully down position.

I broke my needle trying to replace the light and had to fully disassemble the shifter assembly to fix it.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Padrino
Pro

My fix is a bit different.

I'm replacing the boot and shift indicator, et al with a stainless plate from a vendor on this forum, covering the shift rod with a stainless tube and toping the whole thing with a C2 Muncie T-Handle shifter and ball. Bit of work but won't have to worry about breaking that 99 cent red tabl...plus I'll get rid of this boring stock shifter setup

Padrino
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 AM
sirlawrence
Cruising

Help! How do I take this apart to get at the shift indicator and bulb please? Thanks to all!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM
sirlawrence
Cruising

Originally Posted by sirlawrence
Help! How do I take this apart to get at the shift indicator and bulb please? Thanks to all!
I don't want to force or break anything to get at the shifter .
Old 05-13-2014, 02:53 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by sirlawrence
I don't want to force or break anything to get at the shifter .
Has anyone found a replacement part for the plastic indicator?

Get notified of new replies

To Shift Indicator stuck in first

Quick Reply: Shift Indicator stuck in first