C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Torque Spec

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Targa98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Torque Spec

Well, just last night as I was racing, my crank pulley/balancer walked off my crank and slammed my steering rack. Great, huh!
....blood chilling scraping sounds and lots of smoke and oil.... I thought my engine was toast.

Well, I had the car towed to my shop and plan to check out the extent of the damage tonight. I know why this happened. I didn't feel comfortable putting 240ftlbs of torque on one bolt like I was recommended when installing the crank pulley last week. Ok, I'm an idiot...

What I would really love is for a few people to tell me how much they tightened their CP bolt without breaking it. Would anyone like to share so I feel a little more at ease?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa98
Well, just last night as I was racing, my crank pulley/balancer walked off my crank and slammed my steering rack. Great, huh!
....blood chilling scraping sounds and lots of smoke and oil.... I thought my engine was toast.

Well, I had the car towed to my shop and plan to check out the extent of the damage tonight. I know why this happened. I didn't feel comfortable putting 240ftlbs of torque on one bolt like I was recommended when installing the crank pulley last week. Ok, I'm an idiot...

What I would really love is for a few people to tell me how much they tightened their CP bolt without breaking it. Would anyone like to share so I feel a little more at ease?
Did you used a new GM bolt? If so, why don't you feel comfortable with the service manual specs?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Targa98
Instructor

No, I re-used my bolt. Yeah, I know... stupid. I don't see why I couldn't re-use my bolt and just load it with threadlocker and torque to 240ftlbs???
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

No, I re-used my bolt. Yeah, I know... stupid. I don't see why I couldn't re-use my bolt and just load it with threadlocker and torque to 240ftlbs???

Because it will just come loose again.

The factory bolt is a one time use item. Been there done that. It wasnt much fun replacing the balancer, bolt and oil seal - but the folks on this forum helped me out again with instructions.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:58 PM
savage1
Pro

You'll hear this a 100 times at least but, the GM bolt is a one time use because it is torqued to yield and it is not a torgue requirement but it specifies 140 degrees of turn for proper tightening.

If you want a replceable bolt go with the ARP bolt. If not follow the proper installation and do not re-use.

Also pin the pulley on the crank. I spun mine and am in the process of repairing it as we speak.

I am 90% thru pulling the steeering rack out right now and I am going with a powerbond 25% u/d pullley since it already has a keyway. I have the ATI crank pin drilling fixture and will pin the crank and pulley. This with the ARP bolt and a new front seal will fix my problem and is probably what you will need.

Although your damage may be more since your pulley walked. Good luck.

savage1
Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

screw the stock bolt, its almost the same cost to get a nice 12 point ARP bolt...i think mine was 23$?

and that bolt is hardened and thick as hell....your not going to break it. I've torqued many of them. give it hell
Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Ya know partner, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you got exactly what you deserved in this circumstance. You could read for hours on this subject within this forum, or you could have simply just used the service manual. Instead, you thought you knew better than all the other members of this forum who have posted their experiences, and knew better than GM.

I make no apologies for saying....that's just fu$king stupid
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Targa98
Instructor

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Ya know partner, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you got exactly what you deserved in this circumstance. You could read for hours on this subject within this forum, or you could have simply just used the service manual. Instead, you thought you knew better than all the other members of this forum who have posted their experiences, and knew better than GM.

Well, I didn't "research" the topic. I just was following a write up and didn't agree. Hell, my buddy's 72 Nova ran 12's for months with NO bolt.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969

Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Well, I didn't "research" the topic. I just was following a write up and didn't agree. Hell, my buddy's 72 Nova ran 12's for months with NO bolt.
Why do you think that is Mr. Goodwrench? You ever see the keyway on old Chevy engine harmonic balancers?

If your friend ran his car with no bolt in the harmonic balancer (and at the dragstrip to boot), then you are certainly in good company.

At the end of the day, it's your car to destroy any way you see fit....
Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Targa98
Instructor

I may use this opportunity to do an aftermarket oil pump and timing set. Since I had to pull everything in front of the motor, might as well take advantage, eh?

Get notified of new replies

To Crank Pulley Torque Spec

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Torque Spec