C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: abs delete 99 c5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
wheeelie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTB: abs delete 99 c5

i'm looking for an ABS delete kit for the 99 c5. i have found them for f bodys through SJM, but nothing for my car. if you know of a kit like this, please post.

also, what will the computer see when it is completely removed? will i have to "rig" something up so it doesn't pull throttle or shut down drivablilty?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why?
When the old Viper had no ABS, it always came in last in braking test comparisons...with ABS it's near the top...
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The absolute fastest stopping cars do not use ABS. The guys that can make those cars stop quicker than an ABS equipped similar vehicle. are pro drivers that have been driving race cars for years usually.
ABS will actually let up on the brake pressure (even if it's a little bit just for a second) when it senses that a wheel is slipping while braking, if you're coming into a corner at 160 repeatedly, it's not always the best to have ABS.

DZ
Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

For race cars with sticky tires...but he didn't say he wants a race car. If you're driving in the rain, going into a turn, and the tires lock up...say bye bye...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
The absolute fastest stopping cars do not use ABS. The guys that can make those cars stop quicker than an ABS equipped similar vehicle. are pro drivers that have been driving race cars for years usually.

Cool! Are you a pro race car driver too?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
wheeelie
Instructor

since you guys know everything about braking systems, can you tell me where to find that part i'm looking for???
The following users liked this post:
indwind34 (03-22-2022)
Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wheeelie
since you guys know everything about braking systems, can you tell me where to find that part i'm looking for???
Just screw up the ABS wiring so it malfunctions and you'll have no ABS, TC or AH.

GM does not sell any product to disable the system. Maybe you can gice Phoenix a call since they set-up all of the T-1 cars for the track.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 PM
wheeelie
Instructor

honestly, i don't mind keeping it on the car if it would work (or if gm would have hidden it in the fenderwell/bumper), but for the single turbo setup i am building, it interferes with the 4" dp on the driver side. if i wanted to waste time, i would just extend the rear brake lines and make new front lines and put it in the bumper air space, but i choose to delete it as i (personal decision) don't want/need it. from what i am told, the computer will take over the throttle and limit you to either reduced power or shut the car off and fill the dash up with all lights as if you turned the key off then back on.

regardless of my intention, i am looking to find a box like SJM has or even something like this part for the f-body cars.

http://www.burkhartchassis.com/id84.html
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

honestly, i don't mind keeping it on the car if it would work (or if gm would have hidden it in the fenderwell/bumper), but for the single turbo setup i am building, it interferes with the 4" dp on the driver side. if i wanted to waste time, i would just extend the rear brake lines and make new front lines and put it in the bumper air space, but i choose to delete it as i (personal decision) don't want/need it. from what i am told, the computer will take over the throttle and limit you to either reduced power or shut the car off and fill the dash up with all lights as if you turned the key off then back on.

regardless of my intention, i am looking to find a box like SJM has or even something like this part for the f-body cars.

Ahhh, so the whole pro race car driver thing was just a distraction... The EBCM is in the way, huh? Guess you should have modded a 97.......
Old 02-16-2009, 11:25 PM
AMRAAM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Ahhh, so the whole pro race car driver thing was just a distraction... The EBCM is in the way, huh? Guess you should have modded a 97.......
Yep, 97s are mounted on the rear sub frame. Maybe you can relocate somehow? nah, probably easier to delete it.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Answer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568079398-post60.html
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Lucky,

Indy asked "why"...so I gave him a possible reason that they guy might not want ABS.

What's with the sarcasam? Did I say I was a pro driver or something? Are you? I mean, do you honestly think that your average daily driver could get better stopping distances out of car (track or otherwise) w/o ABS??

No, but a pro driver with a non-ABS Vette? That's all I was pointing out...

Donnie

Last edited by 00Corvette; 02-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

There are several turbo setups that keep ABS intact, maybe it's easier to reroute the plumbing.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
wheeelie
Instructor

maybe it's easier to stick to the subject. why do all the prudes have to chime in with worthless comments that aren't relavent to the initial question? if you don't have an answer, save your stupid comments for another post. frankly, i really don't care about abs on my car, and if it's my car, i choose what i keep. as far as i can recall, horse and buggys didn't have abs - nor did roman chariots!

a simple answer will suffice, but that is too difficult for "car enthusiasts" that overpayed for their mid-life crisis.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

maybe it's easier to stick to the subject. why do all the prudes have to chime in with worthless comments that aren't relavent to the initial question? if you don't have an answer, save your stupid comments for another post. frankly, i really don't care about abs on my car, and if it's my car, i choose what i keep. as far as i can recall, horse and buggys didn't have abs - nor did roman chariots!

a simple answer will suffice, but that is too difficult for "car enthusiasts" that overpayed for their mid-life crisis.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Is there actually a "kit" or something out there that will delete the ABS on our cars?

Or do you have to "rig" something?

What do they do on C6R's and such? ABS or no?

DZ

Just something that I've been curious about too...which is why I chimed in to keep the post going originally...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Go buy a Roman Chariot then, you won't have to learn to brake. Maybe you can have one of those CRAZY Helmets with all the Red spikes sticking up to go w/ it-should make you look WILD on the track.

Rip it all out and start over with a custom ECM just for engine control-should get you what you want since ripping it out of a stock car will most certainly require turning off major parts of the ECM you have in there now to keep it from squealing about parts being missing.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: abs delete 99 c5

Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 AM
wheeelie
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Go buy a Roman Chariot then, you won't have to learn to brake. Maybe you can have one of those CRAZY Helmets with all the Red spikes sticking up to go w/ it-should make you look WILD on the track.
maybe i'll get lucky enough that one of those spikes goes straight up your ***!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Your so tough-talk this way in person or just real brave behind a keyboard?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Your so tough-talk this way in person or just real brave behind a keyboard?

Quick Reply: WTB: abs delete 99 c5