C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls7 lifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM
fst85vtt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ls7 lifter problem

I installed a new cam a few months back and recently started getting some ticking noises to go with the sewing machine sound lol..
So i checked my pushrod length and found i was .050 to long.
I installed the correct 7.350 rods and still had the damn noise..

Well today i broke down and pulled the heads and found 3 lifters that you could not move the plunger at all i actually mocked one up in the vice and had to crank with all my might and finally it moved but seriously i could push it in with my finger, So im thinking maybe i damaged the lifters by having to much preload?

I was at .120 and now at .070 any thoughts? never seen a lifter get stuck up like that
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Andy,

That sucks. There was another thread in the FI section a few weeks ago about another huy having his LS7 lifters rotate and destroy his engine.

I would think you would get just the opposite if you had too much pre-load and the lifter would be pushed down not up.

Maybe the lifters are clogged with some kind of dirt / debris ???
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
fst85vtt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Anthony how are ya? Im thinking i just damaged the lifters by just running to much pre-load .. I didnt check the length just listened to the shop that i bought them from.. all was well for the first 400 miles or so, then it started the ticking so i measured.. I was just wondering if anyone had seen a lifter plunger stick up like that? I have seen them bleed down pump up hard and not bleed down..

I see what your saying maybe some debris got in there and blocked the oil hole 3 total so far.. Im sure the over preload didnt help the matter..
got it all torn down today ... Im kind of glad I get to take the headers of (lg pro) and put ball flanges on the collectors The slip fit crap dont cut it.. I cant stand leaks ... Any progress on your beast yet?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Andy,

Haven't really been working on my beast at all as it's up in the body shop still. I was chasing down some last minute parts and a few other changes to the front air daim that I wanted to get done.

I was also trying to get the whole tire and rim thing worked out with CCW. I'm headed to Minneapolis for the next couple weeks and then I'll go up and check to see if the rims fit.

Been working on my bro's 2001 Z06 trying to clean up all of the problems with it for the last 4 months, hopefully I'll get things wrapped up on it over the next two months and then bring my car home.

I've heard that there have been several issues with the Cadillac lifters but not of any LS7 lifter issues.

You might want to try your post over in the FI section as many of the guys over there have built motors and use LS7 lifters.

As for LG header leaks, that seems to be a common problem on those slip fit systems. Have you tried an exhaust pipe joint sealant along with some better clamps ?

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To ls7 lifter problem

Quick Reply: ls7 lifter problem