C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Mr.Evil
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06?

I've taken delivery of a 99 C5 Coupe w/stock suspension, but I can still take it back and buy a 2000 Hardtop. I plan on making it a steetable race car, so engines don't really matter much. But suspension will.

Is it worth keeping the 99 C5 and just upgrade the suspension, or taking it back and getting the HardTop?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-17-2002, 01:26 PM
3Vettes@Home
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (Mr.Evil)

Z51 has stiffer springs, larger sway bars, & bigger shocks :cheers: Both of my C5's have Z51 & I like them that way :D
Old 02-17-2002, 01:39 PM
70L46
Le Mans Master

CF Pit Crew
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Almost CI III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (3VETTES@HOME)

The Z51 package also included a power steering fluid cooler.
Old 02-17-2002, 06:54 PM
Fast Mover
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (Mr.Evil)

Get the Hardtop.You wont be dissapointed
Old 02-17-2002, 08:07 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 515 Likes on 194 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Dump the stock suspension add T-1 sway bars and Bilsteins.

Cecil
Old 02-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the Forum Mr. Evil. The 2000 Hardtop (FRC) is your best bet for a streetable race car, not the coupe. The FRC is about 100 pounds lighter, it comes std. with the Z51 suspension and a 6 spd., has a power steering fluid cooler, and , of course is better looking then the coupe! :D Also the 2000 has a few upgrades over the '99, so overall, unless there is a glaring deficiency with the 2000 Hardtop, the 2000 is the better choice. :yesnod: Good luck with your project.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Mr.Evil
5th Gear

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (Jim 47)

Any place I can research the differences? Im pretty sure Im going with the hardtop tho. I've been driving the coupe all weekend and Im already disappointed in the stock non-Z51 handling.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:47 PM
Fast Mover
Melting Slicks

00 Hardtops received the latest version of Z51. Expect a tighter more precise driving car, less chassis flex,more rigid frame.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Mr.Evil:

There was an artical on the C5 Hardtop in the September 1998 issue of Automobile Magazine which says that the chassis stiffness is 2.5 hertz better than the Coupe. I haven't seen any specs. on the suspension, but the 2000 does have an improved Z51 suspension over the 1999 Hardtop. Overall the Z51 suspension includes stiffer springs, better "sports" shocks, and larger stabilizer bars at front and rear. The Hardtops standard 6 spd. comes equipped with a 3.42:1 rear and the latest version of GM's variable-effort rack and pinion steering.

The only negative I can see is that the Hardtop has the std. issue seats (to save weight) and not the "sports" seats, which are options on the Coupe and Convertable.; The curb weight is 3153 lbs with a 51/49 weight distribution. I think that all other specs. other than the body shape are the same as the Coupe and Convertable. Everything else being equal, the Hardtop (FRC) should be quicker and handle better than the Coupe. :yesnod: It really is a blast to drive. :D
Old 02-18-2002, 12:23 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (Jim 47)

OTOH, the standard seats are rock solid. From what I've read on this forum, the sport seats rock! To me, that would be a major distraction to have my butt moving all over the place when I'm trying to set up for a hot corner. I think you'll love the 00 FRC. My only gripe with mine is I have an early 99 with no HUD. If I had that, life would be perfect...yeah, right.

Mr.Evil:

The only negative I can see is that the Hardtop has the std. issue seats (to save weight) and not the "sports" seats, which are options on the Coupe and Convertable.; The curb weight is 3153 lbs with a 51/49 weight distribution. I think that all other specs. other than the body shape are the same as the Coupe and Convertable. Everything else being equal, the Hardtop (FRC) should be quicker and handle better than the Coupe. :yesnod: It really is a blast to drive. :D
Old 02-18-2002, 12:28 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Get the Hardtop. It has the superior suspension plus some other goodies....especially Competition Mode built in in its Traction/AH functions. You wont be disaapointed.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:34 PM
Mark C ZX9
Instructor

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (c5chris)

Love my hardtop. Handles TIGHT. Very predicatable.

I haven't driven the C5 coupe so I cant comment on that. It would be nice to have the removable top sometimes but my wife's car is a convertible so it's no biggie. I doubt there's much difference between the hardtop and the coupe in the real world.

I think the biggest difference with a C5 is tires. I went from old runflats with 29k on them to new non-runflat tires and that made a HUGE difference.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Nekbyter
Instructor

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (Mark C ZX9)

Go with the 00 FRC, you won't be sorry.
I never had a vette that handled as good as my 00 FRC.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:06 PM
GraveDigger
Pro

I fell in love with the looks of the corvette, but when I drove several coupes I was very disappointed in the ride and the general feel of the car.
several that I drove rattled, creeked and felt like riding in a $40k buckboard. I finally decided this was not the car for me. Six months went by and I fell in love all over again with the look of the car and drove several 2000 hardtops. The car was so much more solid it was like night and day. Much tighter as well as better overall feel. After buying a torch red hardtop I replaced the runcraps with Bridgstone OS2's and OS3's on ZO6 repo.s and Isolated the trunk compartment with a custom stereo. Now the car is very quiet and has a very smooth ride. I can't take the roof off, but I can live without that, if you can too go with the hardtop. you won't be dissapointed.
P.S. It looks better too.
:jester
Old 02-18-2002, 11:39 PM
Fast Mover
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (GraveDigger)

I fell in love with the looks of the corvette, but when I drove several coupes I was very disappointed in the ride and the general feel of the car.
several that I drove rattled, creeked and felt like riding in a $40k buckboard. I finally decided this was not the car for me. Six months went by and I fell in love all over again with the look of the car and drove several 2000 hardtops. The car was so much more solid it was like night and day. Much tighter as well as better overall feel. After buying a torch red hardtop I replaced the runcraps with Bridgstone OS2's and OS3's on ZO6 repo.s and Isolated the trunk compartment with a custom stereo. Now the car is very quiet and has a very smooth ride. I can't take the roof off, but I can live without that, if you can too go with the hardtop. you won't be dissapointed.
P.S. It looks better too.
:jester
I could not have said it better myself! :cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 01:30 AM
Mr. Evil
Advanced

Default Re: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06? (BRADS C5)

Thanks for the input guys. I have pretty much made up my mind. The C5 seems way too loose (no Z-51). Plus, this particular one already seems like its a bad build quality or something. Its already rattling like a Trans Am or Z28 after a few years.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 PM
63 Forever
Advanced

Please explain the difference in the runflat/non tires, Use as much detail as you wish.

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06?

Quick Reply: Difference between C5 stock suspension and the Z51 package on the Hardtop/Z06?