C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont go into gear when started

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:39 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car wont go into gear when started

Backing out of the driveway it refused reverse like it does a lot of times. Usually running thru the gears and then going in reverse will make it work. This time it would not go into any other gear also. No funny noises, just like I'm hitting a wall. Finally after going into neutral and letting off the clutch and trying again it went into reverse. Backed it out of the driveway and put it in first and off I went. Coasted to the stop sign in neutral. Went to put it in first and no dice. Wouldn't accpt any gear. Go to neutral and release the clutch and try again and nothing, try again and nothing. Turn the car off and it goes into every gear fine. Turn car on and it will not go in any gear again. Turn car off and put it in first and leave it there. Turn the car on and off I go in gear. Try for second and its fine. Get home running thru the gears a few times and all went well.

Whats going on?

What can I check? Shifter linkage? How? Fluid levels? Check shifter itself? Sound like syncros? But every gear?

I hope it was not a clutch that did not want to disengage since I just put a new Monster stage 3 in there.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like typical insuficient disengagement of the clutch. You may want to pull the lower bellhousing inspection cover and check it.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Is it grinding ?

Sounds like the clutch is completely releasing and allowing you to shift.

Easiest way to check would be to pull the inspection plate and then have a buddy push in the clutch and see if is releasing properly (i.e. the disc stops spinning) also could check the air gap by sliding a feeler gauge in between the flywheel and the disc.

Lokks like it might be time for one of those tick adjustable master cylinders or be like me and convert to an automatic and get rid of all of your clutch problems

Originally Posted by nickolbag
Backing out of the driveway it refused reverse like it does a lot of times. Usually running thru the gears and then going in reverse will make it work. This time it would not go into any other gear also. No funny noises, just like I'm hitting a wall. Finally after going into neutral and letting off the clutch and trying again it went into reverse. Backed it out of the driveway and put it in first and off I went. Coasted to the stop sign in neutral. Went to put it in first and no dice. Wouldn't accpt any gear. Go to neutral and release the clutch and try again and nothing, try again and nothing. Turn the car off and it goes into every gear fine. Turn car on and it will not go in any gear again. Turn car off and put it in first and leave it there. Turn the car on and off I go in gear. Try for second and its fine. Get home running thru the gears a few times and all went well.

Whats going on?

What can I check? Shifter linkage? How? Fluid levels? Check shifter itself? Sound like syncros? But every gear?

I hope it was not a clutch that did not want to disengage since I just put a new Monster stage 3 in there.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your clutch is not fully disengaging!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 PM
legman
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to slowly go thru forward gears before getting reverse. The only other issue is metal on metal sound when releasing the clutch. Really pronounced when cold. A few miles past 2k on a Tex z grip.....

Hope its not your Monster.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:20 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Whats going on?

Read this.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual...clutch-co.html
Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

When you put the car in first and started it, did it creep with the clutch thrown out?

Does it creep at all in gear with the clutch out?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Is it grinding ?

Sounds like the clutch is completely releasing and allowing you to shift.

Easiest way to check would be to pull the inspection plate and then have a buddy push in the clutch and see if is releasing properly (i.e. the disc stops spinning) also could check the air gap by sliding a feeler gauge in between the flywheel and the disc.

Lokks like it might be time for one of those tick adjustable master cylinders or be like me and convert to an automatic and get rid of all of your clutch problems
No grinding at all. It just felt like there was a plate there blocking it from going into gear. So just pull the cover, start it up, have somebody puch the clutch, and see if the friction plate stops spinning? What kind of gap would I be looking for with the feeler guage?

I have the Tick in there now. Maybe it needs an adjustment?

Yea I saw that a while back. Back then they said they all went out to the F-body crowd but now I hear some may have gone out to Vette owners too. Got it from Mike at East Coast, going to give him a call later to see if he knows anything about it.

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
When you put the car in first and started it, did it creep with the clutch thrown out?

Does it creep at all in gear with the clutch out?
It did not creep that night.

The day after it happened I bled the clutch (fluid looked perfectly fine) and it went into gear perfectly. In first with clutch to the floor I revved it up to 7k and it did not creep at all. Not sure if bleeding it actually helped or if its the clutch that will have intermittent problems disengaging. Going to call Mike at East Coast and see if he found out anything from Monster. I'll pull the inspection plate and see if its disengaging.

I'm praying its not the monster. It only has like 1k street miles on it. I'd hate to have to tear the car apart again.

Last edited by nickolbag; 09-28-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

So you installed a remote bleeder?
If you can get a hold a hand pumping vacuum tool and try reverse bleeding your clutch from the master cylinder.
Having an intermittent issue would suggest that it's not the clutch it's self but rather an issue with in the hydraulics.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CarBoy
So you installed a remote bleeder?
If you can get a hold a hand pumping vacuum tool and try reverse bleeding your clutch from the master cylinder.
Having an intermittent issue would suggest that it's not the clutch it's self but rather an issue with in the hydraulics.
Yes I installed a remote bleeder. I'm sure I can get ahold of a pump to try and get any air out that way.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:00 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Hi Nick,

You should have about 30 thousands or so of clearance between the clutch disc and the flywheel.

Have you checked your shifter bolts and alignment ?

Clutch problems are such a PIA on these cars because on the internal slaves and difficulty accessing stuff.

What kind of fluid are you running in the tranny ?

Tony
Old 09-30-2009, 08:52 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Hi Nick,

You should have about 30 thousands or so of clearance between the clutch disc and the flywheel.

Have you checked your shifter bolts and alignment ?

Clutch problems are such a PIA on these cars because on the internal slaves and difficulty accessing stuff.

What kind of fluid are you running in the tranny ?

Tony
Thanks, will check clearance hopefully this weekend if I have time.

I was going to also check the shifter to make sure everything is tightened properly. Should I, or can I check the shifter linkage also?

I put AMSoil tranny fluid in some time in Feb and probably have less than 2k miles on it. I suppose I should check the fluid levels too.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks, will check clearance hopefully this weekend if I have time.

I was going to also check the shifter to make sure everything is tightened properly. Should I, or can I check the shifter linkage also?

I put AMSoil tranny fluid in some time in Feb and probably have less than 2k miles on it. I suppose I should check the fluid levels too.

Most of the shifter linkage is inside the tranny. I would just check the shifter alignment and that the shift rod is tight.

The trans fluid level and condition is probably fine unless you see some big puddles under your car.

You could try to move the clutch pedal up a bit by adjusting the rod to see if that helps with the problem.

I just hope you did not get one of those defective Monster units.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:41 PM
BigJimZ16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats going on?

The C5 uses an electric Reverse Lockout device that is supposed to block reverse above 3MPH. The solenoid is mounted on top of the transmission an is very difficult to reach. There is a code for a malfunction of the coil in the solenoid (don't recall the #). You should probably check the function of the lockout before going much further. Mine was screwed up and allowed movement of the shift into reverse at speed instead of 5th!!! Ouch is right...

After re-reading the original problem, somehow I got hung up on the "won't go into reverse" part and pretty much blew off the other part... I rather doubt that my comments are of any value in this instance.

Last edited by BigJimZ16; 09-30-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Most of the shifter linkage is inside the tranny. I would just check the shifter alignment and that the shift rod is tight.

The trans fluid level and condition is probably fine unless you see some big puddles under your car.

You could try to move the clutch pedal up a bit by adjusting the rod to see if that helps with the problem.

I just hope you did not get one of those defective Monster units.
I called up Mike at East Coast where I got the Monster from and he said the defective clutches went out in August. I got mine in May. He says I am OK. I am praying he is right.

Adjusting the rod to move the pedal? Are you refering to the Tick? Will adjusting the Tick show a difference in clearance in teh clutch? If I measure clearance and it is less taht 30 thou will adjusting the Tick change that?

Originally Posted by BigJimZ16

After re-reading the original problem, somehow I got hung up on the "won't go into reverse" part and pretty much blew off the other part... I rather doubt that my comments are of any value in this instance.
You taught me something new anyways. Thats always appreciated.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I called up Mike at East Coast where I got the Monster from and he said the defective clutches went out in August. I got mine in May. He says I am OK. I am praying he is right.

Adjusting the rod to move the pedal? Are you refering to the Tick? Will adjusting the Tick show a difference in clearance in teh clutch? If I measure clearance and it is less taht 30 thou will adjusting the Tick change that?
The longer the rod, the more fluid you'll push, if your clutch is dragging, which sounds to be your problem since the car will go into gear when the engine is off.

I'm not familiar with the Monster clutch but do they have adjustible shims that you rmove as the clutch disc wears out ?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:07 PM
corvette8189
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

i think its the slave

my buddies trans am did the same problem. wouldnt go into any gear when on, but when off u could. you could put in gear when off then turn it on and it would take off but u couldnt shift with clutch.

Get notified of new replies

To Car wont go into gear when started

Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

The longer the rod, the more fluid you'll push, if your clutch is dragging, which sounds to be your problem since the car will go into gear when the engine is off.

I'm not familiar with the Monster clutch but do they have adjustible shims that you rmove as the clutch disc wears out ?
Monster does not have adjustible shims. Looks like this Saturday in the AM I will have time to check all this out.

Originally Posted by corvette8189
i think its the slave

my buddies trans am did the same problem. wouldnt go into any gear when on, but when off u could. you could put in gear when off then turn it on and it would take off but u couldnt shift with clutch.
I hope not, its a brand new slave.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Monster does not have adjustible shims. Looks like this Saturday in the AM I will have time to check all this out.

I hope not, its a brand new slave.

Keep us posted.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Keep us posted.
Been a busy 2 weeks. Had a half hour to look at the car last night. Quick checked the shifter alignment and it was not loose and looks good. I did a quick bleed of the clutch using the remote bleeder. Car went into all forward gears fine but would not go into reverse. After a few minutes of trying it went into reverse once. Backed it out of the driveway and it shifted fine going thru the gears. Got it back in the driveway and no reverse again.

Since it is not going into reverse but will accept the other gears is hydraulics a possibility? I can swing by a friends house this weekend and mity vac it to see if any more air will come out. I'll probably have time this weekend to pull the inspection plate and check clearances.

But since 1-6 are OK and reverse is a no go am I looking at another problem?

Quick Reply: Car wont go into gear when started