C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Tire To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 AM
JasonC
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the next month or so I'm planning to buy a set of these from tirerack:
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

$510 before shipping from Tire Rack and $50 rebate. Seems like a killer deal for pretty good tires. They were mentioned earlier in this thread. Came in 2nd place in Car & Driver's tire test.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:10 AM
tonyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a good tire shop. At a club the kid that worked in the deli that morning could be mounting your tires. There are many good professional tire stores. Most will match the prices of Tire Rack, Sams, Costco, Wal Mart, ect. If you get them locally you will be able to deal with problems locally and still get a great price. Develop a good relationship with your tire store and you will be see the value of dealing locally.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:51 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonC
In the next month or so I'm planning to buy a set of these from tirerack:
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

$510 before shipping from Tire Rack and $50 rebate. Seems like a killer deal for pretty good tires. They were mentioned earlier in this thread. Came in 2nd place in Car & Driver's tire test.
this might be a better tire than the spt and for the same money {time will tell}. it's a new tire with current technology. i haven't driven these yet but the results and rubber design/compound {utqg 280 with V shape} look really good for a harder 3 season tire. this is a brand new offering which is probably why i didn't know about it until just now

Last edited by racebum; 10-11-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:57 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by STRODDER
1. your budget?___________________________$1000 installed
2. how many miles per year you drive?___________5,000
3. what conditions you drive in?________________Mostly Hot & Dry
4. any track use?___________________________ NO
5. what tire size. i'm assuming 275 40 18 and 245 45 17? choices change __YES
6. how you operate the car, are you easy, do you push it etc?_ I drive like you should.Aggressive.

The Kumho's are starting to look good. What about there run flats? Should I forget about run flats all together?
drop the run flat idea

get a 12v cig compressor or a can of fix a flat on board. if it's beyond that call AAA

the spt is a good tire and a solid overall choice. they are quiet, handle fairly well and don't really do anything great, but they don't have any serious shortcomings either. the new hankook tire i would love to drive in order to see if it's better.

however. if you can spend $1000

easy

bridgestone re-11

these things will surprise you if you drive aggressive. at 5k miles per year you will get a good 3 year service life and enjoy every second. i don't know of any faster 275/245 tire combo outside of R compounds. BUT.....the spt is quieter

the really serious non r summer tires right now are the kumho xs, dunlop star spec, nitto nt05, bridgestone re-11, yokohama ad08 and hankook 3. the only problem is size selection. the nt05 is available in c5z06 sizes and the re-11 in standard sizes. the XS can work but requires a 275 40 17 and 315 30 18 tire combo.

the only corvette review i noticed scrolling down the new hankook is this:

I have a 06 Z51 corvette, Autocross and HPDE's, I've been running PS2's with great success but got tired of shelling out over $500 per tire for rears. I needed only rears this time and bought these Hankooks, installed them and scared the -------- out of me!!!!! When I drove on highway I noticed a little squirly going on but we left for 5k mile trip the next day and really got to doing some highway miles and found out how bad they are when you only put on 2 tires!REALLY BAD! All over the road, let me repeat, all over the road. It felt like the sidewalls were extemely soft, pumped up air pressure to max of 50lbs, figuring it might stiffen sidewall, it got much worse!! It reminded me of the time when radials became popular on trucks and I had two snow tires (nylon)still on the truck, well it was all over the road, brought the tires back and they said, yup, ya can't do that!E-mailed factory and asked why in ---'s name do they sell these HORRIBLE tires? The reply was you have to replace all 4 tires so they react properly. Great, here I am in Watkins Glen and having a track day with my buds tomorrow and I'm running these junk tires and no time to find dealer and swap out my good front PS2's for 2 of these!We are in the middle of 5k mile road trip to NY from Texas. I've been working with tire pressure and having some luck keeping the fronts at 32lbs and the rear Hankooks at 28lbs!!! Wish me well tomorrow.

this is not good news but it is only one mans opinion. still it makes the decision between this and the spt dicey. i'm really not sure what i would do if i was budget shopping. i know the spt is a solid tire. this one? i really have no clue

Last edited by racebum; 10-11-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
DAV162
Drifting

Originally Posted by padojada
Ive just got some kumhos spt's and are worth every penny. I ahd the same problem and thats what was most recommended for the price quality and looks. Very smooth and road noise is minimal. check out the C5General section my post is on there Titled "Tires???"with some really good feed back from some great members like Racebum for example.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 AM
mitchcole
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just saw this on E-bay from OE Wheels. What do you guys think? Will these size tires fit? It doesn't say what kind of Firestone's though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-17...Q5fAccessories
Yes those will fit. They are standard Z06 sizes. The tires are Wide oval. Had them - they were fine. Not incredible - but fine. I got significant life out of them, but I drive the freeway 110 miles a day.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
padojada
Instructor

Im not rying to hijack just Hope this helps. Heres some pics of the Kumho spt's On wagon wheels. And im Still very happy with my choice.
Yes, on one of the rims thats S_ _ T. Apparently the brite red color attracks Bird and Dog S_ _T! lol.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
STRODDER
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonyjp
Go to a good tire shop. At a club the kid that worked in the deli that morning could be mounting your tires. There are many good professional tire stores. Most will match the prices of Tire Rack, Sams, Costco, Wal Mart, ect. If you get them locally you will be able to deal with problems locally and still get a great price. Develop a good relationship with your tire store and you will be see the value of dealing locally.

Tire Rack recommends tire stores in my area to install them, and they will ship the tires directly to them. I would hope they are competent to install them with out damaging them, and honer the warranty.

Last edited by STRODDER; 10-11-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:59 PM
STRODDER
Instructor

Originally Posted by racebum
drop the run flat idea

get a 12v cig compressor or a can of fix a flat on board. if it's beyond that call AAA

the spt is a good tire and a solid overall choice. they are quiet, handle fairly well and don't really do anything great, but they don't have any serious shortcomings either. the new hankook tire i would love to drive in order to see if it's better.

however. if you can spend $1000

easy

bridgestone re-11

these things will surprise you if you drive aggressive. at 5k miles per year you will get a good 3 year service life and enjoy every second. i don't know of any faster 275/245 tire combo outside of R compounds. BUT.....the spt is quieter

the really serious non r summer tires right now are the kumho xs, dunlop star spec, nitto nt05, bridgestone re-11, yokohama ad08 and hankook 3. the only problem is size selection. the nt05 is available in c5z06 sizes and the re-11 in standard sizes. the XS can work but requires a 275 40 17 and 315 30 18 tire combo.

the only corvette review i noticed scrolling down the new hankook is this:

I have a 06 Z51 corvette, Autocross and HPDE's, I've been running PS2's with great success but got tired of shelling out over $500 per tire for rears. I needed only rears this time and bought these Hankooks, installed them and scared the -------- out of me!!!!! When I drove on highway I noticed a little squirly going on but we left for 5k mile trip the next day and really got to doing some highway miles and found out how bad they are when you only put on 2 tires!REALLY BAD! All over the road, let me repeat, all over the road. It felt like the sidewalls were extemely soft, pumped up air pressure to max of 50lbs, figuring it might stiffen sidewall, it got much worse!! It reminded me of the time when radials became popular on trucks and I had two snow tires (nylon)still on the truck, well it was all over the road, brought the tires back and they said, yup, ya can't do that!E-mailed factory and asked why in ---'s name do they sell these HORRIBLE tires? The reply was you have to replace all 4 tires so they react properly. Great, here I am in Watkins Glen and having a track day with my buds tomorrow and I'm running these junk tires and no time to find dealer and swap out my good front PS2's for 2 of these!We are in the middle of 5k mile road trip to NY from Texas. I've been working with tire pressure and having some luck keeping the fronts at 32lbs and the rear Hankooks at 28lbs!!! Wish me well tomorrow.

this is not good news but it is only one mans opinion. still it makes the decision between this and the spt dicey. i'm really not sure what i would do if i was budget shopping. i know the spt is a solid tire. this one? i really have no clue
I read that review. Like you said only one mans review. Besides that was only on the rear. His tires were mismatched.

I agree with not getting run flats. If it gets a nail in it you have to replace it. It will get you home, but like you said there is other ways.

I don't want to spend $1000. I rather spend less and buy some bling for it.

This thread is getting better & better. I hope other people are learning some of this too.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
STRODDER
Instructor

Im not rying to hijack just Hope this helps. Heres some pics of the Kumho spt's On wagon wheels. And im Still very happy with my choice.
Yes, on one of the rims thats S_ _ T. Apparently the brite red color attracks Bird and Dog S_ _T! lol.

Nice looking tire, except for the Sh*t on them.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:22 PM
padojada
Instructor

Im glad you like the pics lol. I still dont know how and why the dog did that to my wheel. Since ive gotten the car about 2 weeks now its been ****ted on almost everyday since and i dont park under any trees or power lines.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

I read that review. Like you said only one mans review. Besides that was only on the rear. His tires were mismatched.

I agree with not getting run flats. If it gets a nail in it you have to replace it. It will get you home, but like you said there is other ways.

I don't want to spend $1000. I rather spend less and buy some bling for it.

This thread is getting better & better. I hope other people are learning some of this too.
you are sounding more and more like an spt buyer or a test mule for the new hankook every minute

as for the above pics. doggy like shiny objects
Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM
STRODDER
Instructor

Im glad you like the pics lol. I still dont know how and why the dog did that to my wheel. Since ive gotten the car about 2 weeks now its been ****ted on almost everyday since and i dont park under any trees or power lines.
Maybe they don't like your wheels. Are trying to tell you to update them?...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM
racebum
Race Director

Maybe they don't like your wheels. Are trying to tell you to update them?...
that poor wheel has been hated on since it was released in 1997
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
padojada
Instructor

Ha Ha you guys are funny. Id rather put into the motor before i do wheels
Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 PM
STRODDER
Instructor

Ha Ha you guys are funny. Id rather put into the motor before i do wheels
Your Vette still looks good. Especially the color.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my Vredestien Sessanta. when the time comes..Ill be buying another set...
Cool pattern too

Get notified of new replies

To What Tire To Buy?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM
padojada
Instructor

That is a nice looking wheel. How much btw?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
STRODDER
Instructor

I went to all the local tire stores here in town. The tire store that Tire Rack recommended didn't have time to talk to me. I stood there for quite a while. He was too busy to sell tires, so I walked out. Americas Tire, and the Tire Guys matched the prices I got on the net. Now to choose.
Out the door prices were:
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO = $634.00
Kumho Ecsta SPT = $722.00
NITTO NT555 = $770.00
America's Tire wanted an extra $5.00 pr wheel for a reseal kit for the sensors. The Tire Guy didn't even mention that.
I'm hearing some good stuff about the Hankook. They have the new technology, and Ford is using them on a lot of there cars.
Looks like I might be a test mule for Hankook, and not because they're cheaper. They look good and have good ratings, except the tire ware rating @ 280. Kumho SPT says UTQG is 320.
I'm going nuts, and will order the tires tomorrow. Still not sure which one.
HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO

KUMHO SPT
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
padojada
Instructor

Hankook looks like a nice tire for the money thats how much i paid for the spt's out the door . Be the test mule Or we'll never know how they do

Quick Reply: What Tire To Buy?