C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 01:18 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (Steve02C5)

I run with T/C & A/H off, after your ordeal, I think I will start using competition mode.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (Steve02C5)

...Question, when you mention AH queued you to back out, do you mean at the DIC readout?

Also, did the car straighten out on it's own after you backed out of it or was it a combination of your steering and the AH?....
Steve02C5,

Those are good questions. First, the DIC played no role. Once I start the launch, I am totally focused on the sound and feel of what the car is doing, allowing for only occasional quick glances at the tac.

My reference to a "queue" from AH means that within fractions of a second (literally) (1) my rear end moved violently right and (2) AH immediately invoked counterveiling action. Both produced sensory inputs that deviated from the norm and I backed out of the throttle. The car came straight again nearly against the wall. Total time of the event was less than one second.

I believe I also made some steering correction, but AH played two roles (1) the queue to my senses and (2) the counterveiling action to correct the out-of-line condition. Given that AH makes corrective adjustments many times in a tenth of a second, it certainly was the dominant factor in my staying off the wall. True, I backed off the throttle at the instant the accumulating sensory inputs caused me to recognize my predicament, but by that time AH had already been in action in those crucial hundredths of a second.

Hope that answers your question.

Ranger
Old 02-25-2002, 07:14 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (Ranger)

Great post. Glad it worked out just fine. :cheers:
I’ve always been a great fan of AH exactly for these kinds of situations (where no matter how good a driver your are - it won’t matter w/o AH :nono: )

The only time I ever turned AH off was to do a few donuts in a large open abandoned airstrip space… :reddevil

[Modified by EuG, 6:14 PM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Fast Frwrd
Instructor

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (EuG)

Competitive Mode=better safe than sorry :D
Old 02-25-2002, 10:07 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (Fast Frwrd)

I always keep AH on as well.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:15 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (Fast Frwrd)

Ranger, thanks for one of the more useful posts I have seen in my short time on the forum, especially for us new 'Vette owners. So far at the track the last dozen times, I have made sure I disabled the traction control to get good launches. I now will wait the 5 seconds to put it in Comp. Mode. The more I find out about the many intricacies of this car, the more I am convinced how great a car it is. Now if they would only improve the stereo!

Many thanks!
Old 02-25-2002, 10:17 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (Ranger)

We had a similar situation last month with different results. Our driver (my 15 year old daughter) was tied for first place in points at Sunshine and on a wendsday nite T&T the car broke loose on the 1-2 shift....rear kicked out to the right (just like you described), she did not lift quick enough & over corrected. She missed the right wall, but came around and tagged the left wall hard (the driver in the left lane saw her get loose & was able to brake hard) with the rear. This sent her into about 4-5 spins and nailed the wall agin with the nose before comming to a stop. New nose, Rear, Drivers quarter, and left headlight assembly plus fender repair & paint. Had her back the next nite with the pieces taped up & she went on to tie for 2nd. She has broke loose a bunch of times since & handeled it like a pro. Wish we would have had AH! :cheers:
Old 02-26-2002, 12:13 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided

Ranger, thanks for the eye-opening reminder. I too will start doing it now.

We should call this the Ranger mod
Old 02-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Re: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided (TLewis4095)

TLewis4095, Sorry for your (and your daughter's) unfortunate experience, but thanks for bearing witness to it on this thread. Lota folks can recover from just "loose." But few (without AH ON) can recover successfully from "violently loose."

I had 100+ runs on my Z06 without getting violently loose. But it only takes one time...an you have way less than a second to react exactly right. What are the chances of that without active handling on?

Thanks to all for the useful replies and kind remarks.

Ranger

Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 AM
odiepalodie
Cruising

Default Ah/cm

The absolute only reason I could see anyone turning AH features off would be to race on some very curvy tracks or roads, and then only if said person was a professional.

Many performance racers wouldn't want any kind of outside traction control as they tend to like total control of the vehicle.

That said most cars don't allow you to completely disable traction control, even when you turn it off there will be some help in extreme drift.

An amateur thinking they can react quicker than an active handling system is in for a pretty wrecked car.

Quick Reply: COMPETITIVE DRIVING Mode at the Drags--Disaster Avoided