C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big smog legal cams in CA? Smog Numbers? Blower and NA CA cams?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:17 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big smog legal cams in CA? Smog Numbers? Blower and NA CA cams?

Hi everyone. Ok, so I want some info related to keeping my car smog legal, but I am looking into upgrading my cam. Who has the biggest CA smog legal cam? Do you have smog numbers? What about for blowers? (might be adding an A&A setup sometime in the near future). I think last time I looked into this, I was told LSA is most important for emissions (114LSA is about as aggressive as you can go in CA). I looked at a 224-224 114LSA cam possibly. Anyone have anything bigger than this that is still emissions legal? On a "Blower cam", what kind of specs would I want? (different than an N/A motor cam?) What are the cam specs for a regular c5 (mines a 2000 m6 coupe)? What about c5zo6 cam specs? Anyone have smog numbers for their cam modified-CA c5? Any info on cam upgrades for a CA smog legal car would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anthony
Old 10-18-2009, 07:19 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

forgot to mention the car is equipped with shorties, and borla stingers, otherwise stock exhaust (Hpipe). Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
R CRYSIS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2000 also and am upgrading with LS6 heads cam intake ect... From what I have read the 2000 has the biggest factory cam that came in an LS1 500 lift 209 198 duration on a 115.5 lobe center. Even though the 2001 to 2004 had five more horsepower it was gained with a better intake, M.A.F and exhaust manifolds. the 2000 also has the pup cats witch I don`t think some years had. I think you are about right on the biggest cam you can get away with in CA. I talked with Nick at Newtech Performance and he really knows his stuff and he will steer you in the right direction. I drove to Hayward and met him hes is a nice guy. I am going to have him tune my car when I am done..Hope this helps a little I am still learning about these cars myself
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

If you are considering an A & A blower, why don't you check with Andy. As he has built and tuned hundreds of NA and FI cars for use in CA, he might have some better info than us average joes.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Silnus
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The key is overlap for emissions and also for FI applications. You need your overlap to be under -4* of overlap.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Originally Posted by Silnus
The key is overlap for emissions and also for FI applications. You need your overlap to be under -4* of overlap.
When you say overlap, you mean the LSA right? Id love to have 112, but I think 114 is as far as I can go (and still pass a sniffer) in this state. What the heck is the difference between a "blower cam" and a "high performance/radical" cam anyway?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Before I went FI (A&A kit), I was looking into H/C. The cam you mentioned above was the biggest cam I have seen on the boards make it through without problem. And you are right, Its the LSA that is the key. Under 114 it gets dicey. With that said, I have not changed out my cam in my 1999 coupe. Wanted to see what I would get with just the blower. Makes smog easier. But a cam in the future would be nice.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM
GKE
Pro

I have a 224/226 114lsa that passed smog as super clean.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

RedRider- Do you remember about how many hours the mechanic charged for labor to install the A&A system?

GKE- Would you by chance have smog numbers for the 224 226 114lsa cam? If no smog numbers, how is the idle, drivability, rwhp increase?
Are you otherwise totally 50state legal? (I almost wish there could be a race division based on this)

I had a smog shop give me crap for my hurricane ram air intake (everything else is totally legal). I think the tech got scared by the stickers/decals on it, so I took all of them off and now hopefully they'll just think it is stock next place I go. Dealing with emissions is a real PITA in CA.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:42 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

A&A installed it. $1750.00 for the install. Flat charge. Took them 3 days to install it.

Get notified of new replies

To Big smog legal cams in CA? Smog Numbers? Blower and NA CA cams?

Quick Reply: Big smog legal cams in CA? Smog Numbers? Blower and NA CA cams?