C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant decide on which heads to use...help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
94brick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cant decide on which heads to use...help

I have decided to do a heads/cam upgrade. The only problem is the more I research parts and packages the more questions I have and the more confused I get. My biggest stumbling block is heads. It seems to me from reading through alot of posts that AFR and Trick Flow are the way to go if you want the best and cost is not an issue. Well I do want good parts but paying an extra grand for a few extra hp doesn't make sense. So what is left for head choices? Called Texas Speed today and talked about there PRC STG 2 5.3L heads. What is the consensus on these heads? Is there really that much of a difference and more importantly would I even notice the difference? Maybe a good question to ask is there a head that I should NOT buy?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 PM
marinehacker202
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,593 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I'd give these guys a call on the AFR's... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...eads-sale.html

AFR's make great power, and they're somg legal...seeing as you're in AZ, I've heard your state may someday adopt the same smog laws as CA.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
94brick
Racer

Yes I know AFR's make great power. But is that power so much greater over a cheaper head such as the PRC that it is worth paying an extra grand for?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

AFR is a lot of money but, to me, you get more than just the hardware. Tony Mamo has made some impressive power out of 346 CI engines and seems to always be ready to answer any and all questions right here on the forum. If you go with one of his head/cam packages you know you won't be leaving any power on the table and the hardware will support any further mods you may make in the future.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM
94brick
Racer

I would love to see some actual dyno numbers showing the differences in hp/tq with some of the major cylinder heads out there but all I have seen are flow charts. Anyone??
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by 94brick
I have decided to do a heads/cam upgrade. The only problem is the more I research parts and packages the more questions I have and the more confused I get. My biggest stumbling block is heads. It seems to me from reading through alot of posts that AFR and Trick Flow are the way to go if you want the best and cost is not an issue. Well I do want good parts but paying an extra grand for a few extra hp doesn't make sense. So what is left for head choices? Called Texas Speed today and talked about there PRC STG 2 5.3L heads. What is the consensus on these heads? Is there really that much of a difference and more importantly would I even notice the difference? Maybe a good question to ask is there a head that I should NOT buy?
first, you didn't say what your starting with, second you need to decide what you want your car to do. You need to be honest with yourself about what you want. The next thing I would do is put a budget down on what you want to spend.

I have already went down the same road and you're going to find out every little HP step cost more money. At some point your going to run into a driveline problem because of the hp increase. It just keeps going and going

I decided I did not want more power than my stock drivetrain could handle (@450rwhp max) so that helped with some decisions. My goal is 425rwhp/400rwtq so after researching I can hit my goal without spending $2500 on just a set of heads. I also didn't want a set of hogged out intake port 243's cause I want to keep my low end tq. It's easy to get cought up in lots of head flow, cam lift/duration and HP but in the end how are you going to use the car.

Get a goal first then research to seee what it will take to get there
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
94brick
Racer

Great advice printmanjackson.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 94brick
I would love to see some actual dyno numbers showing the differences in hp/tq with some of the major cylinder heads out there but all I have seen are flow charts. Anyone??
I seem to remember once reading a post by Tony that explained the difficulty comparing hp an tq numbers on various heads because they respond differently to cam, timing and tuning. In other words it's possible to bolt head A and B on a given engine and have A outperform B and then do the same test on a different engine and have B outperform A.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

you want to get your heads and cam as a matched set to perform in the RMP range your looking for in performance. If your not buying them at the same time then get your heads first. Then you can have a custom or shelf cam to get the most out of your heads. there is lots of good info over at LS1Tech.com
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

here is 433rwhp and 402rwtq out of a Z06 with stock heads

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamo...t-90-90-a.html
Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 PM
94brick
Racer

Well that doesnt surprise me...yet more mystery to the choices

For what its worth the modded Z06 to be is NOT a daily driver. Weekend cruiser at best. No 1/4 mile passes and could care less about top speed. I am looking for a combo that throws me back against the seat when I drop the pedal and screams till redline. The thing is I am not looking to break any dyno records. The car has LT's, CAI, catback and a tune and is a blast to drive as it is....I just want more by way of a good cam and head combo.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:03 AM
94brick
Racer

I have been reading alot off LS1Tech.com ....very informative.

I sent a pm to Patrick G this morning to have him spec me a cam, funny you mentioned that.

Great results from stock heads!!! But again the thread states, as you did printmanjackson, find the heads first and get a cam to match.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

this guys car ends up making some sick N/A power!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamo...s-results.html

Get notified of new replies

To Cant decide on which heads to use...help

Quick Reply: Cant decide on which heads to use...help