C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car braked when clutch depressed????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 12:53 AM
ebluezguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car braked when clutch depressed????

I had a strange thing happen this week, and I was wondering if anyone else ever had it happen. I have a new 2002 Z06,and as I was downshifting, gearshift was in neutral, and clutch depressed, all of a sudden the car acted as though someone had pulled the emergency brake. I shook the gear shift to make sure it was in neutral, it was. I checked the emergency brake...down. I then decided to let out the clutch, and when I did the car started freewheeling like it should (felt like I'd just taken my foot off the brake). I then pushed the clutch back in and the brake went on again. After doing this a few times (and traffic starting to back up behind me!), I decided to put the gearhshift into gear as though I were just completing the downshift, and let out the clutch. Voila, it was now normal again and I continued my journey. I've never had it happen since.

Anyone have any idea what the heck happened? Really spooky!
Old 03-02-2002, 01:03 AM
plastic thunder
Safety Car

Default Re: Car braked when clutch depressed???? (ebluezguy)

not me :eek:
Old 03-02-2002, 10:01 AM
c5 Lee
Instructor

Not that I will be able to help, but did you get any error codes or messages on your DIC when this happened. :confused: :confused:
Old 03-02-2002, 04:14 PM
louzon
Racer

I remember reading something on this forum about problems with the power brake booster, but I believe this was on older cars. :confused:
Maybe yours has the same kind of problem?
Old 03-02-2002, 05:05 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

sounds strange, I have never had that happen to me. :(

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 03-02-2002, 05:59 PM
MDT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebluezguy,

For the life of me I cannot make a connection between the clutch and the brake behaving as you described. Until someone does tell us, here is what I think happened:

I think that you were on the brake pedal the whole time. Yes the car can be shifted into gear without the clutch. ;)

Think of all the cases of unintended acceleration that we've read about in the news. In many of those cases the cars have been checked by experts and the conclusinon is that the driver was on the accerlerator when he thought he was on the brake. :yesnod:

Hope the above is the solution, otherwise.....pretty strange problem.

Good luck.
Mark

Old 03-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Icebear
Pro

Look real close at the design on the pedals. Notice how the brake pedal linkage comes down right beside the clutch linkage, then curves towards the center of the car. I have a size 13 foot and if I get just a little too much toe over the top of the clutch pedal it catches on the brake linkage causing exactly the condition you describe. Was kinda scary the first time it happened.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:53 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Car braked when clutch depressed???? (Icebear)

Look real close at the design on the pedals. Notice how the brake pedal linkage comes down right beside the clutch linkage, then curves towards the center of the car. I have a size 13 foot and if I get just a little too much toe over the top of the clutch pedal it catches on the brake linkage causing exactly the condition you describe. Was kinda scary the first time it happened.
This is your ticket. I've heard of this on rare occasion before.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 PM
MDT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good call, Icebear. :seeya

Good luck.
Mark
Old 03-04-2002, 09:28 PM
MySea6
Melting Slicks

I have had this happen as well as missed shifts because my foot hit the dead pedal on the way to full clutch. Sometimes it's a real beatch having big feet.
But, you know what they say? Big feet - Big DIC! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Car braked when clutch depressed????

Quick Reply: Car braked when clutch depressed????