C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Wagon Wheels to Thin Spokes - What do I need ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Changing Wagon Wheels to Thin Spokes - What do I need ?

I just bought a 99 Vette last week and it has the Original Silver Painted Wagon Wheels on it.

I found a set of Chrome Thin Spoke Wheels and plan on driving an hour and a half to go get them Sunday Morning.

My Question:
Am I getting in over my head by doing this ?

Will tires, sensors, lugs, ect swap right over with no problems ?

Will I need different lug nuts, lug covers, ext ? (if so where do I get these and how much)

Will the new thin spokes take my Tire Pressure Sensors and seal the air up fine ? (I heard they have problems sealing on thin spokes)

I am getting the Thin Spokes for $200 so I thought this was a good deal (no tires, no pressure sensors, no lugs, - it does have the center caps)

PLEASE - I need input - Is this going to cost me more than it is worth ?

What do I need to do the job ?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 11:22 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you check all the wheels for cracks around where the spokes attach to the rim.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:23 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by white90conv
Make sure you check all the wheels for cracks around where the spokes attach to the rim.
OK - Thanks - How about any of my other questions ?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Everything should bolt right up, sensors, lugs, etc. You said the wheels are chrome. If so they are aftermarket wheels as GM never made a chrome thin spoke. Be sure you carefully check the finish as many of the less expensive chromed wheels have had trouble with peeling finishes. If they are the stock GM wheels and shiny, They are polished and clearcoated. Again carefully check the finish as these are notorious for the clearcoat letting go.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the new thin spokes take my Tire Pressure Sensors and seal the air up fine ? (I heard they have problems sealing on thin spokes)
If you're worried about a good seal, put a tiny amount of gasket sealer on the sensor seal.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Everything should bolt right up, sensors, lugs, etc. You said the wheels are chrome. If so they are aftermarket wheels as GM never made a chrome thin spoke. Be sure you carefully check the finish as many of the less expensive chromed wheels have had trouble with peeling finishes. If they are the stock GM wheels and shiny, They are polished and clearcoated. Again carefully check the finish as these are notorious for the clearcoat letting go.
Thank You so much. That is good wisdom. I read somewhere that the Wagon Wheels had a machined surface for the sensors to seal - and the thin spokes do not have this machined surface - Is this true ? And if so - does anyone have experience doing this swap ?

The Lugs on my Wagon Wheels are concealed behind the center cap - but it looks like the Thin Spokes have exposed lug nut holes ??? Do I need some special nuts with nut caps for the old Wagon wheel lugs to go onto the exposed Thin Spoke lug holes ?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saxtech
Thank You so much. That is good wisdom. I read somewhere that the Wagon Wheels had a machined surface for the sensors to seal - and the thin spokes do not have this machined surface - Is this true ? And if so - does anyone have experience doing this swap ?

The Lugs on my Wagon Wheels are concealed behind the center cap - but it looks like the Thin Spokes have exposed lug nut holes ??? Do I need some special nuts with nut caps for the old Wagon wheel lugs to go onto the exposed Thin Spoke lug holes ?
All non Z06 cars came with sensors so yes, the wheels will accept them. I'd go ahead and buy a set of chrome lug nuts and a new set of wheel locks just for the sake of appearance. At $200.00 you getting a great deal IF the wheels are in good condition. To be honest the price has me concerned. I paid $125.00 for just one front thin spoke in excellent condition. But there's always deals out there and maybe you've stumbled onto one.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The TPMS should fit easily but get new o-rings for the install. You'll need to get some chrome lug nuts.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM
saxtech
Pro

All non Z06 cars came with sensors so yes, the wheels will accept them. I'd go ahead and buy a set of chrome lug nuts and a new set of wheel locks just for the sake of appearance. At $200.00 you getting a great deal IF the wheels are in good condition. To be honest the price has me concerned. I paid $125.00 for just one front thin spoke in excellent condition. But there's always deals out there and maybe you've stumbled onto one.

Thanks - Well I will see tomorrow when I drive an Hour and a Half in the rain to see them. Hopefully I am not going on a "wild goose chase"
Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 AM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by jrose7004
The TPMS should fit easily but get new o-rings for the install. You'll need to get some chrome lug nuts.
So should I just get "generic" chrome lug nuts that will show - Doesn't the factory look have flat plastic caps over the nuts ? I am OK with generic chrome nuts showing - just don't know what you guys think about that look ???
Old 12-13-2009, 03:27 PM
saxtech
Pro

I just bought a set of Chrome Thin Spokes today and the Chrome is in Beautiful Condition. No Cracks around where the spoke meets the rim either.

I know you guys are going to tell me that Chrome was not original with Thin Spokes and that these must be copies or reproductions but this guy insisted that they came off a female friends Vette that was a later C5.

My guess is that maybe these were one of those "exchange" programs where you have to turn in original OEM wheels plus cash and you get Chrome OEM Wheels in return.

Oh well - For $200 including center caps and not a flaw on the chrome I am pleased.

Is there any other way to tell if they are reproductions ?

There is a Laser Etched Wheel Size making on the inside edge (brake side of the wheel - on the lip) It has old tires on it now so I can't see under the mounting area. Would a reproduction wheel have this lazer etched wheels size on the lip ?

I need Chrome Lugs now - You guys have any tips where to get them ? WHAT SIZE ? I'm taking the old Wagon Wheels off and replacing them with these thin spokes

I think these even have the Presure Sensors still in them - But I have heard that they will not work on a 99 - Is this true ?

How can I tell what year C5 Vette these came off of ? The spokes have square edges (not radiused or rounded) Does this mean anything ?

Last edited by saxtech; 12-13-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

You can tell if they are reproductions very simply. If they are chrome they are reproductions, period, end of story. GM NEVER made a chrome thin spoke wheel. Never, not under any circumstances. Not as part of any exchange program, not for some big wig exec, not for the Fairy God Mother. I believe the wheels came off his friends C5, but that doesn't mean they are the original wheels. And, did I mention, GM NEVER made a chrome thin spoke wheel?

One caveat, it is possible but not economically feasible to chrome a polished thin spoke wheel. It would cost more than an aftermarket wheel by about double.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

You can tell if they are reproductions very simply. If they are chrome they are reproductions, period, end of story. GM NEVER made a chrome thin spoke wheel. Never, not under any circumstances. Not as part of any exchange program, not for some big wig exec, not for the Fairy God Mother. I believe the wheels came off his friends C5, but that doesn't mean they are the original wheels. And, did I mention, GM NEVER made a chrome thin spoke wheel?

One caveat, it is possible but not economically feasible to chrome a polished thin spoke wheel. It would cost more than an aftermarket wheel by about double.
Many vendors have chrome exchange programs for OEM wheels, so yes there are MANY examples of chromed OEM wheels out there.
No, GM didn't make them that way, the vendor did. But they are still authentic GM wheels, not Chinese reproduction wheels.

Example: http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...-exchange.aspx

This service has been in place long before the first C5 reproduction wheel was ever made...Heck, this service has been in place since the C4 era....How was it possible people had chromed thinspokes on their cars long before reproduction wheels came along?

Just because they are chrome, is a VERY poor indicator of who manufactured the wheel itself. You can chrome any wheel, it doesn't change the manufacturer.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Just because they are chrome, is a VERY poor indicator of who manufactured the wheel itself. You can chrome any wheel, it doesn't change the manufacturer.

I think I said that.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I think I said that.
No, actually you were much more specific, and wrong:

If they are chrome they are reproductions, period, end of story.

Chrome is just a coating. If a OEM wheel has been chromed, it is NOT a reproduction wheel.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 651 Likes on 505 Posts

I have a 99 FRC and this summer I did this swap from the painted wagon wheels to the 2000 polished thinspokes.

The pressure sensors can just be removed and put on the new wheels. I used the same nuts, but I bought #9 orings from Home Depot. I torqued the nuts to 106 inlbs.

The lug nuts on the wagon wheels are hidden under the center cap and do not have external threads for the stock lug covers. Either use a chrome lug nut or get some of the stock type with external threads and caps. I had several sets of the stock ones with external threads, so I used those.

I think the result is much better looking. I never liked the wagon wheels.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Alex1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also been looking at chrome lug nuts. Corvetteguys has them as do numerous other support vendors

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Wagon Wheels to Thin Spokes - What do I need ?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by QCVette
I have a 99 FRC and this summer I did this swap from the painted wagon wheels to the 2000 polished thinspokes.

The pressure sensors can just be removed and put on the new wheels. I used the same nuts, but I bought #9 orings from Home Depot. I torqued the nuts to 106 inlbs.

The lug nuts on the wagon wheels are hidden under the center cap and do not have external threads for the stock lug covers. Either use a chrome lug nut or get some of the stock type with external threads and caps. I had several sets of the stock ones with external threads, so I used those.

I think the result is much better looking. I never liked the wagon wheels.

Good luck.
Hi:

Thanks for your reply to my thread and indicating that you can swap over the Tire Pressure Sensors from my 99 Wagon Wheels to my new (used) Chrome Thin Spokes.

MY QUESTION - You said that you went to Home Depot and got some #9 O-rings for the sensors.

What kind of O-rings do I ask for ?

Where would I find these at Home Depot ?

Do I just walk in and say I want some #9 O-rings ?

Isn't there an Inside Diameter and an Outside Diameter ?

This information will help me tremendously before I go to the tire shop and get stuck there because they can't get my sensors to seal air.

Would you happen to have a part number or a better explaination of what to ask for and what department and inside & outside diameter of the O-rings ?

Thank you so much.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Many vendors have chrome exchange programs for OEM wheels, so yes there are MANY examples of chromed OEM wheels out there.
No, GM didn't make them that way, the vendor did. But they are still authentic GM wheels, not Chinese reproduction wheels.

Example: http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...-exchange.aspx

This service has been in place long before the first C5 reproduction wheel was ever made...Heck, this service has been in place since the C4 era....How was it possible people had chromed thinspokes on their cars long before reproduction wheels came along?

Just out of curiosity - is there a way of telling if these Chrome Thin Spokes are GM OEM wheels that have been chromed ? (Exchange Program ?) THey have a lazer etched wheel size etched into the lip facing the calipers - Does this mean anything ?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look for #9 O-rings. As best I can remember, they are located in the plumbing department.

Quick Reply: Changing Wagon Wheels to Thin Spokes - What do I need ?