C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding Wiring Harness Plugs? Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Rebuilding Wiring Harness Plugs? Anybody?

Removed my Seats today for a better carpet and seat detail, and discovered a wire that had been bypassed. Looks as if one side (female side) had a single wire pulled out of the back of the plug. I assume this was caused by improperly attempting to pull the plug apart. The other side (male side) appears to have had the corresponding wire cut, and then a jumper created to hook it all back up. My question here is can those plugs be rebuilt, as in disassembled and the two wires placed back in the plugs? I can continue with the jumper but then each time the seats are removed the jumper will need to be cut apart. Even if I do a quick disconnect, I feel it will need to be shrink wrapped for protection, thus need to be cut. Hope to hear from some of the heavy hitters here on this electrical issues. Also not so sure I haven't tracked down a on aging off again electrical issue I've had with a seat memory issue. Thanks in advance Randy"pear"Bauman
Old 12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

More info is needed on what wires are cut ?

I'll presume you have the sport seats ? or do you own a FRC, Z06 sytle seat.

Post up a picture of what wires are cut and what options are on your car.

(i.e. Sport Seats, Telescopic Steering Wheel, Memory) as there is different wiring depending on what these options are.

Originally Posted by pear
Removed my Seats today for a better carpet and seat detail, and discovered a wire that had been bypassed. Looks as if one side (female side) had a single wire pulled out of the back of the plug. I assume this was caused by improperly attempting to pull the plug apart. The other side (male side) appears to have had the corresponding wire cut, and then a jumper created to hook it all back up. My question here is can those plugs be rebuilt, as in disassembled and the two wires placed back in the plugs? I can continue with the jumper but then each time the seats are removed the jumper will need to be cut apart. Even if I do a quick disconnect, I feel it will need to be shrink wrapped for protection, thus need to be cut. Hope to hear from some of the heavy hitters here on this electrical issues. Also not so sure I haven't tracked down a on aging off again electrical issue I've had with a seat memory issue. Thanks in advance Randy"pear"Bauman
Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 PM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

2000 Vert, Sports seats, Telescoping wheel, and Memory. It's the pink wire in what appears to be the memory bundle, the smaller of the 2 plugs.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

2000 Vert, Sports seats, Telescoping wheel, and Memory. It's the pink wire in what appears to be the memory bundle, the smaller of the 2 plugs.
Does your Telescopic Steering wheel work ?

It should go on blue connector, position "F".
Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

It is the one that is intermittent, and yes iit is the one that was jumpered. ..."pear"
Old 12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

Ok now that we've covered what I already was able to figure out on my own, I'll ask again: After a wire has been pulled or cut out of the "plug socket" can it be put back in effectively. Or will I have to continue using a jumper? Thanks "pear"
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 112 Likes on 101 Posts

Ok now that we've covered what I already was able to figure out on my own, I'll ask again: After a wire has been pulled or cut out of the "plug socket" can it be put back in effectively. Or will I have to continue using a jumper? Thanks "pear"
Yes it can, provided the connector in question has contacts that are not insert molded i.e. connectors/contacts that have retaining locks. The problem you run into is the wire length. While you can re-terminate the wire in question, you may find there is not sufficient length in the bundle, and the wire will "banjo" or be strained. In those cases, you have to add length at some other point in the bundle, which will still require a splice.

Does that answer your question, or did you figure that out on your own?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM
pear
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks Lucky that answers it perfectly. I think I'll be ok on the length as the one side was pulled out (or so it appears), and the other clipped right at the plug. Looks like I may loose 3/16th to maybe a 1/4 off each side. Thanks again, "pear"

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding Wiring Harness Plugs? Anybody?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Wiring Harness Plugs? Anybody?