C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1637 and P1638. HELP please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon84
The codes came on with the original alternator in. I went to autozone and got an AC Delco direct GM replacement. Still throwing the same codes.
Doesn't matter....the p/n tells the story....there are threads covering this. Even though it's "direct replacement"....doesn't mean it's correct.

Additionally, I'm confused. Why was the starter changed to begin with?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:23 PM
seoulbrooks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he could not get the starter right I sure would not let him be fooling with the PCM.....

If he hooked the starter up wrong he could have blown the fusible link in one of the field feeds........

Last edited by seoulbrooks; 01-08-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 PM
dragon84
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long version:

I just drove from Monterey Ca to Huntsville Al. Around Memphis TN my starter started making a grinding sound that got worse and worse as the trip progressed.

As a quick preemptive measure I ordered an MSD starter for a 2003 Corvette because it was supposed to have heat shielding for use with long tube headers like I have. I thought this was the best action to undertake since I was traveling.

I was going to put it on myself (not a hard job, I've done it before on my 84 vette) but just didnt have time. I brought it to this repair shop 3 days ago on post for the aforementioned reasons.

When I got the new alternator I checked to make sure it was a 110 amp and not a 140 amp. It shouldn't matter since the problem was still there with the original part on the car. The new alternator didnt fix or contribute to the charge system fault message or the 2 codes.

I'm just trying to figure out what the kid did wrong. His service manager said he used to work at GM...I think now that he must have s fired or something.....

He thinks now that the PCM might be fried but I have 0 confidence in him

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Doesn't matter....the p/n tells the story....there are threads covering this. Even though it's "direct replacement"....doesn't mean it's correct.

Additionally, I'm confused. Why was the starter changed to begin with?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon84
Long version:

I just drove from Monterey Ca to Huntsville Al. Around Memphis TN my starter started making a grinding sound that got worse and worse as the trip progressed.

As a quick preemptive measure I ordered an MSD starter for a 2003 Corvette because it was supposed to have heat shielding for use with long tube headers like I have.

I was going to put it on myself (not a hard job, I've done it before on my 84 vette) but just didnt have time. I brought it to this repair shop 3 days ago on post for the aforementioned reasons.

When I got the new alternator I checked to make sure it was a 110 amp and not a 140 amp. It shouldn't matter since the problem was still there with the original part on the car. The new alternator didnt fix or contribute to the charge system fault message or the 2 codes.

I'm just trying to figure out what the kid did wrong. His service manager said he used to work at GM...I think now that he must have s fired or something.....

He thinks now that the PCM might be fried but I have 0 confidence in him
Ok....do not let this goofball touch the PCM .....call me.....I'll be free in 20 minutes....PM sent.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM
dragon84
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man

Tom
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM
GeneT
Racer

I'm getting the 1637/1638 codes on my 2002 convert. I haven't changed any parts or loosened any wires/cables. What I did was tighten the battery hold down bracket by removing the washer behind the star washer. The previous owner installed a new battery, and I found that it could slide if I pushed it. I read her on the forum that the simple fix was remove the washer. I didn't remove the cables or ground wire, I did move the battery slightly so I could get a socket on the hold down bolt. I cleared all of the codes, and for 3 days they stayed clear. Then when I started it I got the "charging fault" on the dash, and the 1637/1638 codes were back, but, with an H not a C. I cleared them again, and, 3 days later, same thing, "charging fault and 1637/1638H codes.
Any ideas ??
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM
seoulbrooks
Instructor

GeneT... I'd start by making sure the battery connectors are clean and torqued properly. Also clean the grounds. Since the codes are your field feeds you need to look at the connection at B of the starter, make sure the connection is clean and tight. You will see this connection on the schematic in post #12. Good luck.

Quick Reply: P1637 and P1638. HELP please!