C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P1518 - No Start Condition - PCM to TAC Serial Data Interface

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:19 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SebringSixSpeed
The schematic is from my factory GM 1998 Corvette Service Manual Vol 3 of 3. Like I said, OP's car is 2003, mine is 98, just trying to help out with some ideas he could translate to his year model.
Ahhh, I see. I noticed that misprint carried on through 2000, and the schematic was deleted from the 2001 service manual. The schematics for the fuel pump/sending unit are correct though.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SebringSixSpeed - Another question. Your instructions on jumping the FPump relay to test the fuel pump itself says to jump pt 30 to 87 which makes sense but in your pics it appears you are jumping pt 30 to 86. It seems the jump wire the way you describe it would be straight across vs diagonal like you show it. Can you clarify. I want to attempt this today but do not want to screw something up in the process. Do I really need a jump rig like you have with the fuse and interupter switch or can I simply rig up a wire and some connector blades to attempt this? The more I think about it an inline fuse may not be a bad idea. Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, no problem. The schematic shown earlier has no bearing on the true circuit location only the logic behind the layout. Here is the circuit identification at each pin on the underhood relay center. Now this is again out of a 1998 manual so I really encourage you to get this page duplicated out of a 2003 manual just to make sure its the same. Either way you will be looking for circuit 120 as shown in the earlier schematic that goes to the pump. As you can see in the following picture it is diagonal from the IGN circuit location.

And no you do not need an interupt switch for this test, but a fuse is always a good idea on a jumper wire.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Here is the schematic for the 03:

Need to make sure the PCM is supplying the Fuel Pump relay activation signal as well. Could be a wiring or ground problem. Is the car a late or early 2003 as fuel pump wiring is a little different due to FFS.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-18-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Bill - Thank you. The car is an early 2003 purchased in Sept 2002.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

To the OP:

I owe you an apology for making a serious oversight. Based on my experience, the P0606 code is not recoverable. From every case I've seen with this code, the car will crank, but will not start.....and the PCM needs to be replaced. Sorry I missed it.

Last edited by lucky131969; 01-19-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Mike no problem. Thanks for talking to me today. Just for the record and so other know what I did; I started by jumping the FPump relay and the FPump does run. I can crank the motor but the engine will not start. I also checked wiring looms to the PCM and TAC module and all were intact. Tried unpugging and pugging in the TAC module connectors several times. All connections were clean and free of corrosion. I also cleaned several of the grounds in the engine compartment which also showed not signs of corrosion. Next logical step would have been to check for spark.

I called Ed Hutciings at VA Speed and described the problem to him. He stated he has seen C5s in the past with similar codes and conditions that resulted in replacement of the PCM. Your analysis of the P0606 code combined with the P1518 indicating a failed PCM seem right on. No sense in me wasting any more of my time.

I am making arrangment to ship the car to VA Speed for the fix and may have them go ahead and install an RPS Twin Disk Organic clutch while I am in there. Been wanting this for some time. Now I have a reason to do it.

Once the techs diagnose the problem or confirm a bad PCM, I will up date this post.

I want to thank Mike (Lucky131969), SebringSixSpeed, and Bill Dearborn for there assistance in helping me troubleshoot this issue. You are the kind of guys that make this forum such a valuable resource. Thanks again.

John
Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Well, I wanted to post a quick update on this situation for those interested. I was finally able to take advantage of a break in the winter weather yesterday and get my car hauled down to Ed and Shawn at VA Speed in VA Beach. Ed called me today and indicated he knew something was not right with the PCM when he could not even get his laptop to interface. He mentioned something about a data serial port error. He had a couple of spare used PCMs laying around; flashed my tune to one and installed it. The car fired right up. Problem solved. Ed will be putting in a brand new PCM for me on Monday. He said there was no reason for the PCM to fail, these things just happen. He has not seen this very often. No telling why the failure occured. Glad this was an easy fix but it will be costly. Looking foward to putting the car back on the road. Thanks again to Ed and the folks down at VA Speed.

Quick Reply: Code P1518 - No Start Condition - PCM to TAC Serial Data Interface