C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the procedure for calibrating TPMS in a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 PM
mundo
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the procedure for calibrating TPMS in a C5?

I heard it involves magnets. Is there a thread or sticky that details the procedure?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It is easy to do. I bought a small magnet at Radio Shack (~1 in x 2 in x 1/4 in) for less than a dollar and it works just fine. Once you have the magnet use the Options button to select Tire Pressure training on the DIC. When you see the DIC show LF that means it is ready to start training the car to respond to the sensors. Put the magnet next to the base of the valve stem and hold it there until the horn beeps, then proceed to the RF wheel and do the same, when the horn beeps again go to the RR wheel and do the same. When the horn beeps again go to the LR wheel and repeat. Following the horn beep at the LR wheel the sensors are trained and the system will recognize them.

You cannot calibrate the sensors or adjust their pressure readings. All you can do is program the car to recognize each sensor's transmitter identification signal.

Bill
Old 02-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Hams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

TPMs. 1) Turn ignition on 2) Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages 3) Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank 4) Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds 5) Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears 6) Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming 7) Install the J41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool (large magnet will do) over the left front valve stem 8) The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed (if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over) 9) When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages: -Learn R Front Tire -Learn R Rear Tire -Learn L Rear Tire Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off, waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned, finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC. If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.flag: Take about 10 Min Hams
The following users liked this post:
goatcrazy (10-18-2020)
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
si2956
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to tell if the TPM valve stems have the sensors. When I bought my 97, the original rims had been changed out and I don't no if the new rims have the TPM valve sensors, also how large does the magnet have to be, can it be as small as the ones that are on the back of the ones you stick on the frig? New here, please help me out
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by si2956
Does anyone know how to tell if the TPM valve stems have the sensors. When I bought my 97, the original rims had been changed out and I don't no if the new rims have the TPM valve sensors, also how large does the magnet have to be, can it be as small as the ones that are on the back of the ones you stick on the frig? New here, please help me out
I doubt that the magnets that you stick on your fridge will do it, but it doesn't hurt to try. Speaker magnets work fine. You can pick the GM magnet or one like it up in the "parts for sale" C5 forum or ebay periodically for $12-$15
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

I don't see how this calibrates them.
It only allows the computer to read them.
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is easy to do. I bought a small magnet at Radio Shack (~1 in x 2 in x 1/4 in) for less than a dollar and it works just fine. Once you have the magnet use the Options button to select Tire Pressure training on the DIC. When you see the DIC show LF that means it is ready to start training the car to respond to the sensors. Put the magnet next to the base of the valve stem and hold it there until the horn beeps, then proceed to the RF wheel and do the same, when the horn beeps again go to the RR wheel and do the same. When the horn beeps again go to the LR wheel and repeat. Following the horn beep at the LR wheel the sensors are trained and the system will recognize them.

You cannot calibrate the sensors or adjust their pressure readings. All you can do is program the car to recognize each sensor's transmitter identification signal.

Bill
Originally Posted by Hams
TPMs. 1) Turn ignition on 2) Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages 3) Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank 4) Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds 5) Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears 6) Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming 7) Install the J41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool (large magnet will do) over the left front valve stem 8) The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed (if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over) 9) When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages: -Learn R Front Tire -Learn R Rear Tire -Learn L Rear Tire Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off, waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned, finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC. If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.flag: Take about 10 Min Hams
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

there is no calibration method. they either work or they don't. clearly that is what the original post is asking about since he mentioned magnets..but hey,

I don't see how this calibrates them.
It only allows the computer to read them.

Last edited by pewter99; 03-04-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: kep it civil or be gone
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schpenxel
there is no calibration method. they either work or they don't. clearly that is what the original post is asking about since he mentioned magnets..but hey, if you feel good being a smartass then good for you
HUH ?
I was hoping there was a way to calibrate them.
Mine are off by 1-2 lbs. each.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by postwhore
HUH ?
I was hoping there was a way to calibrate them.
Mine are off by 1-2 lbs. each.
Like Bill Dearborn said, you can't calibrate them, you just program them. As for as being a pound or two off, that's not bad. Every car is different. Some are right on, others are like yours. That's why it's always a good idea to check the tire pressure at each wheel regularly.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 AM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ROCKnROLL
Like Bill Dearborn said, you can't calibrate them, you just program them. As for as being a pound or two off, that's not bad. Every car is different. Some are right on, others are like yours. That's why it's always a good idea to check the tire pressure at each wheel regularly.
yeah , see that now and I do check them by hand

Last edited by pewter99; 03-04-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: neither did you....
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Behave or Be gone...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:37 AM
kalayaan12
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Replacing just one tire sensor - need to reprogram all???

Greetings from not-so-sunny Detroit!

I finally decided to get off my butt and replace the non-functioning tire pressure sensor on the left rear tire of my 1998 convertible...

When going through the "re-learning" program on the DIC do all the other sensors not need to be programmed (since they haven't been changed) and just the new one given the magnet procedure - or does the proceedure assume that they're all new and have to be programmed?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff

Last edited by kalayaan12; 12-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

They must all be trained (in proper order). You MUST start with the LF, then RF, RR, LR. if you do it in any other order, the wrong readings will appear. Once you start, you must do all four within the alloted time.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 PM
mgmcaleer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Worked for me.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the procedure for calibrating TPMS in a C5?

Quick Reply: What is the procedure for calibrating TPMS in a C5?