C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger window problem 2000 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:35 PM
daveshea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger window problem 2000 convertible

I need help with an issue with the passenger window on my 2000 convertible.

When I lower the window, it will go down about halfway and stop. I then need to raise it a bit with the control, and then using the control, it will go down all the way. However, it hesitatates and makes a little noise going down the rest of the way.

I assume the regulator is failing somehow. Before I disassemble the door to look at it, does it make sense that the regulator needs replacing?

I am fairly amateur when it comes to this, and it seems replacing the regulator would be the easiest fix.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If the window hangs up and makes a noise, there is a good chance that the cables in the window regulator are becoming frayed.
You can have the window regulator rebuilt, or you can buy a whole new regulator assembly.

There are aftermarket versions available now as an alternative to the GM part. Changing the regulator assembly is fairly easy. The hardest part is getting the door panel off, and getting the glass back in and adjusted. I would suggest you mark the position of the glass before removing it. I used masking tape on the glass and weatherstrip on the top of the door to mark the height and forward position of the glass before removing it.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
daveshea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played with it some more last night. Basically, the window will go UP without a problem, but going down- Then it gets hung up and takes several attempts to get it to go down correctly.

I wanted to get the door panel off to look at it inside, but one of the two Torx bits that holds the door on is on extremely tight, to where I can't get it to break loose with my hand strength - I need to find a ratchet with an extension so I can get at it with some leverage - someone put that thing on extremely tight.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Get notified of new replies

To passenger window problem 2000 convertible

Quick Reply: passenger window problem 2000 convertible