C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankcase Vent, PCV Delete, Oil usage, Ideas, etc......

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Crankcase Vent, PCV Delete, Oil usage, Ideas, etc......

So I've been a gearhead, mechanic, and an engine builder....

I am reading a lot about modifying, deleting PCV systems. And also see that a lot of guys swear by Catch Cans.

Well, I see claims of reduced oil consumption as a primary benefit, and also less/no oil mist running through the intake. Which of course, would all be great things.

I am curious what you guys think...

My "concern" or "thought" or whatever is that (and I have an '01 LS1) the oil consumption issue is due to a Piston Ring issue, not a PCV issue (although the PCV is of "some" concern).

Soooo, for you guys that have had oil consumption issues, what have you done to reduce it?
Have you simply changed driving habits?
Modified or deleted you PCV system?
Installed breathers?
Installed Crankcase Ventilation running to the exhaust?
Using Air Pumps?

I see no "need" for a PCV system, so long as the motor is being vented by another method.

Hmmm, where was I???

Well, my thoughts are that despite how much oil may be caught in the catch can, I don't see that it is really a concern of cleanliness in the motor, or a real concern for power, and I don't imagine that the PCV system is the cause of the oil consumption.
With how light the concentration is of oil that is actually entering the motor, my educated guess is that it is being burned through the motor. That being said though, I do realize that over time, it could build a "funk" inside the intake.

Hmm, so what I'm I trying to figure out.....
I guess it's how to reduce the oil consumption. But to do it in an appropriate manner.

So here's what I may look into doing....

Disconnect the PCV system and eliminate that vapor from entering the intake.
Where the PCV was attached to the motor (where the vapor is exiting) I may attach a "vent system" (perhaps utilizing the very same PCV valve, or a check valve) and find a method of linking it to a vacuum source. (Perhaps the exhaust, maybe I can make it part of the A.I.R. system)

I figure if the vapor can be drawn from the motor, but not by the intake, then it will reduce both the blow-by and allow for a cleaner intake.

I just need to know the best means (and cleanest look of install) to accomplish this.

Anyways, any ideas from you all???

Hehe, this is what happens when I get bored at work

Last edited by manley845; 04-13-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: couldn't spell. lol
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Read this: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-problems.html
Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipuig
Thanks, but that's not the problem/condition/issue that I am working with. White smoke would be a mechanical issue, either water/coolant or even overfilled with oil.
My issue is "normal" oil consumption prone to the 97-01 LS's due to a "problem" with the rings. I don't see smoke or anything. If I run it at higher RPM's under light load it can use more than a quart of oil per 1000 miles. I love hearing the engine wind down and that lil bit of popping from the exhaust, but sadly this is what causes the oil usage.

GM's fix for the issue is to replace the rings. But I wonder if a better vent system will aid in combating the issue.

I think I'm gonna order a Diablosport and rid the ECM of the appropriate trouble codes and rip out the PCV system, and whilst at it remove the cats, A.I.R system, and disconnect the coolant that runs through the throttle body. And I guess I'll lean out the fuel ratio a bit and change the spark plugs.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by manley845

GM's fix for the issue is to replace the rings. But I wonder if a better vent system will aid in combating the issue.
This subject is well documented, and almost beat to death. You can't make up for poor tolerances, with regards to the rings and cylinder walls........simple by providing more crankcase ventilation.

Good luck with your quest.....
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by manley845
If I run it at higher RPM's under light load it can use more than a quart of oil per 1000 miles.
if you are using that much oil you have some issues that no PVC system is going to fix.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Messing with the PCV system would merely be a bandaid for a mechanical problem,besides being illegal in most states.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Installing a catch can has no effect on oil consumption and was never advertised as such. It is simply an attempt to keep oil out of the intake. Sounds like you've never had the intake off an LS series engine. Often the oil will drip out as you remove it. Jury rigging the PCV system will also have no effect on the consumption, just screw up a perfectly good engine.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
01_torch_red_vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with an ls6 valley cover when I did my heads and cam swap. I don't like the idea of not having fresh air cycled through. From what I hear the noxious gasses and blow by will condensate after the engine cools and end up in your oil. If you are religious about the oil changes I guess you may never have any issues, but why risk it. Just my .02
Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
01_torch_red_vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Installing a catch can has no effect on oil consumption and was never advertised as such. It is simply an attempt to keep oil out of the intake. Sounds like you've never had the intake off an LS series engine. Often the oil will drip out as you remove it. Jury rigging the PCV system will also have no effect on the consumption, just screw up a perfectly good engine.
If his oil consumption is coming from oil being slpashed around in the valve cover area being sucked up by the pcv system, he might see less consumption. Would be a good idea to try a catch can and see how much is accumulating in it.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 01_torch_red_vette
If his oil consumption is coming from oil being slpashed around in the valve cover area being sucked up by the pcv system, he might see less consumption. Would be a good idea to try a catch can and see how much is accumulating in it.
Whether it goes into the intake, a catch can or the atmosphere, it's still "consumed".

Get notified of new replies

To Crankcase Vent, PCV Delete, Oil usage, Ideas, etc......

Quick Reply: Crankcase Vent, PCV Delete, Oil usage, Ideas, etc......