C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Headlight Motor Keeps Running

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 Headlight Motor Keeps Running

2001 C5. When I turn the headlights off, the motor that closes the lights down into the body keeps running after the lights are closed. There is a rubber cover that says" Remove for manual operation". When I remove this and shut the lights off, the **** keeps spinning and is sounds like gears are grinding. Its only happening on the diver's side and only wehn turning them off, not on.

Can someone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
cmeflyby
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Alhambra Calismognazifornia, in the country everyone comes just to complain but won't go back home!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kettemr
2001 C5. When I turn the headlights off, the motor that closes the lights down into the body keeps running after the lights are closed. There is a rubber cover that says" Remove for manual operation". When I remove this and shut the lights off, the **** keeps spinning and is sounds like gears are grinding. Its only happening on the diver's side and only wehn turning them off, not on.

Can someone tell me whats wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.
if it's only running for a few more seconds and then stops by itself, you have the far from rare stripped gear failure and need to get a replacement gear kit from one of our vendors. i'm currently waiting for mine in the mail .
if you're saying that it keeps running and doesn't stop until you do something like pull a fuse or disconnect the harness, then you've got some other issue that I can't really help with
Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. It stops after about five seconds. I found some other threads since posting mine and it soundslike I can flip the gear over. I dont dive much at night but have had the twilight feature activated so the lights come on whenever I start it in the garage. I think I'll flip try flipping the gear first since I need an inspection.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
kettemr
Instructor

Default Hats Off to Rodney Dickman!

On the advice of forum members, I purchased and installed my brass replacement gear from Rodney Dickman. Outstanding poduct, instuctions, communication, service, and timely delivery. Anyone that encounters the problem of the stipped headlight motor gear should contact Rodney with 100% confidence!

Here's the link.

http://www.rodneydickman.com/catalog/
The following users liked this post:
STING-RAE (07-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM
LightFighter_GXP
Pro

yeah I replaced mine using rodney's brass gear kits they are excellent!!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the advice of forum members, I purchased and installed my brass replacement gear from Rodney Dickman. Outstanding poduct, instuctions, communication, service, and timely delivery. Anyone that encounters the problem of the stipped headlight motor gear should contact Rodney with 100% confidence!

Here's the link.

I can't believe that there are still C5's out there that haven't had to change the gears yet. BTW do both headlights it's only a matter of time, and use a zip tie to hold the gear cover back on after you epoxy it together, just added insurance.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Yup very common issue I just did mine last year.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Passion4Vette
1st Gear

Default Left Headlight gear stripped out

Thanks for the confident advice in diagnoses, purchase of optimum replacement part, and easy info of self repair.

What is with only the Left gear going out on most of the Forum Posts? Has anyone only had the right side go out? Since there is no real savings in ordering both sides, I will take my chances about the right side failing.

I did find a brass gear kit at Mid America with a PDF link to install, but their price is a bit higher then Rodney's and definitely prefer the firsthand recommendations.

BUT ... I have an additional issue with my Left Headlight assembly. The actuator bar, that connects gear motor to headlight, is very loose at the connection to the headlight, and while driving with headlights up, vibrates and shakes quite a bit.

After taking it apart, it seems that the hole/sleeve in the composite material headlight assembly, where the steel pin connection goes through has stretched or worn much larger causing the problem. I am worried the loose vibration will continue making the problem worse.

Anyone else have this problem? Or more important ... a solution without complete assembly replacement ($1000).

Brad
Convertible 50th Annv '03 C5
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

If it is the Driver's side, this is probably what you need

Name:  DriversHeadlamp1.jpg
Views: 5854
Size:  33.6 KB

Here's the TSB:

Number: 00-08-42-002
Subject: Left Headlamp Door Does Not Stay Closed (Shim Headlamp Door Motor/Actuator and Replace Insulators)
Model Year: 2000 Chevrolet Corvette
Condition: Some customers may comment that the left front headlamp door does not remain closed after the headlamps are turned off. Others may comment
that the left headlamp door closes when the headlamps are turned off, but then reopens. In either case, the right headlamp door operates properly.

Correction

Important

The following information applies to the left front headlamp door motor/actuator only. It does not apply to and should not be performed on the right front headlamp door motor/actuator.

Install one washer (2) between the left headlamp door motor/actuator (1) and the mounting bracket (3) at each of the three attaching bolt locations. Also replace the insulator (4) on each of the two mounting bracket travel stop tabs (5) as shown. For information on headlamp motor/actuator removal, see the Headlamp Motor/Actuator Replacement procedure in the Lighting sub-section of Body & Accessories in the appropriate Service Manual.
Parts Information
Part Number Description Qty Per Vehicle
11505463 Washer 3
16524060 Insulator 2
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-16-2021)
Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 AM
STING-RAE
Navigator

Here's the link.

Ah, the sweet sound of engineering working smoothly now.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:56 PM
perheiro
4th Gear

I did my drivers side last year at about this time and the passenger side just went about an hour ago. Kicking myself now for being a lazy bones last year. An easy fix though.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:15 AM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

It's weird my passenger side went first a couple weeks ago. Came out of nowhere too. I bought the gear kit from Rodney, gonna leave the drivers side be for now. Flipping the plastic OEM gear could've been an option too if you wanna save some bucks for now but the labor of doing it twice isn't worth it
Old 01-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Mcgroot1
1st Gear

I replaced my left side head light motor. Now the left side head light keeps opening back up after it closes. It started to do it after I unhooked the battery. I always unhook the battery when I store the car. As soon I unhooked the battery the left head light popped up. Now after every time I close the headlights the left side head light pops back open?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Headlight Motor Keeps Running

Quick Reply: C5 Headlight Motor Keeps Running