C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these spark plugs look right? oil on plugs. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Is your intake dry? open the butterfly on your throttle body and stick a long q-tip or something similar and swab the intake and see if any oil is in there; hows your breather/pvc system? Any oil in the hose?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea. I have the intake off. Looking for vacuum leaks and changing out oil sender along with fixing hvac line. Gunna clean everything up.

Last edited by memphis_vette; 08-05-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Is your intake dry? open the butterfly on your throttle body and stick a long q-tip or something similar and swab the intake and see if any oil is in there; hows your breather/pvc system? Any oil in the hose?
The intake and throttle body have oil in them. The PVC hoses alot have oil in them
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by memphis_vette
The intake and throttle body have oil in them. The PVC hoses alot have oil in them
That maybe where your oil issue is coming from then, get a catch can and install it in-between the pvc and the intake connection then drive for a few hundred miles and see if your problems persist.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

What should I use to clean out intake? Engine degreaser?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Millenium Z06

take the gaskets off then you could use brake parts cleaner, I do not think it will harm the intake.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

ok thx. you have been very helpful MILL Z06
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That oil on the plugs isn't a good thing. Valve seals or rings would be my bets if you have it on 7 plugs. Valve seals are more likely if the car runs pretty good and doesn't smoke.
how much oil does it burn per change?
With 145k if you're not burning more than a half quart..prolly not too bad yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:22 AM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 00Corvette
That oil on the plugs isn't a good thing. Valve seals or rings would be my bets if you have it on 7 plugs. Valve seals are more likely if the car runs pretty good and doesn't smoke.
how much oil does it burn per change?
With 145k if you're not burning more than a half quart..prolly not too bad yet.
i check the oil every couple weeks and i never notice it getting low. i also have a small small oil leak somewhere which is a couple drops of oil every night.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Millenium Z06

Well, the oil in the intake tract is both a good and bad sign; bad in that you are getting oil into the intake and cylinders but good in that if that is where the oil is coming from, it should be a relatively easy fix with a catch can. Now the 2nd catch is, why are you pushing so much oil into the pvc system? It could just be a catch can remedy or you could have positive pressure in the crankcase. With the engine running, open the oil fill cap and see if you have a lot of air coming out of the oil fill hole. If you do, then you may have a ring problem but you would also have a smoking car too so I doubt that the case. My guess is that it will either be excessive oil getting into the pvc system with a catch can being the remedy or you have bad valve stem seals. Try this, hold the car in a gear and accelerate then let off the gas and decelerate while leaving the car in gear (dont push in the clutch if you have a 6 speed) let the engine do the braking. While you are decelerating, look in the mirror and see if you are smoking on decel or have a friend watch as you drive by. If so, your valve stem seals are bad.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Millenium Z06

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...installed.html
Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 PM
cruisemon
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lespaulr0cker
Here is my "spark plug" post with pics showing what my old plugs looked like for comparision.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...lug-gurus.html
Your engine is lean. The small bead like things on the insulator are probably metal that melted and solidified on the plug. OP's plugs may have signs of an oil leak but they look carbon blacked like the engine is running WAY too fat.

Charlie
Old 08-07-2010, 01:22 AM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cruisemon
Your engine is lean. The small bead like things on the insulator are probably metal that melted and solidified on the plug. OP's plugs may have signs of an oil leak but they look carbon blacked like the engine is running WAY too fat.

Charlie
i do have an oil leak but i dont know from where. it is a very small leak that leaves a couple drops a night.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 AM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
Well, the oil in the intake tract is both a good and bad sign; bad in that you are getting oil into the intake and cylinders but good in that if that is where the oil is coming from, it should be a relatively easy fix with a catch can. Now the 2nd catch is, why are you pushing so much oil into the pvc system? It could just be a catch can remedy or you could have positive pressure in the crankcase. With the engine running, open the oil fill cap and see if you have a lot of air coming out of the oil fill hole. If you do, then you may have a ring problem but you would also have a smoking car too so I doubt that the case. My guess is that it will either be excessive oil getting into the pvc system with a catch can being the remedy or you have bad valve stem seals. Try this, hold the car in a gear and accelerate then let off the gas and decelerate while leaving the car in gear (dont push in the clutch if you have a 6 speed) let the engine do the braking. While you are decelerating, look in the mirror and see if you are smoking on decel or have a friend watch as you drive by. If so, your valve stem seals are bad.

ill have to wait until i get the car back together. im sending my radiator and condenser in to be flushed and pressure tested. im also fixing my hvac line while the intake is off. i drained my oil and i found one small shaving of metal on my magnetic oil drain bolt. probably about 1 cm long
Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 PM
McRCN
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you verify the gap on the new plugs? What was the gap?
Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

the gap on the new plugs is .60
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Millenium Z06

Originally Posted by cruisemon

Charlie
That was my thought too but he said the deposits were white not silver. I suspect that your assessment that it is metal maybe right though.

Get notified of new replies

To Do these spark plugs look right? oil on plugs. PICS

Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by memphis_vette
ill have to wait until i get the car back together. im sending my radiator and condenser in to be flushed and pressure tested. im also fixing my hvac line while the intake is off. i drained my oil and i found one small shaving of metal on my magnetic oil drain bolt. probably about 1 cm long
make sure to get a new accumulator and check your orifice valve

and if you're not burning a noticeable amount of oil each change, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the heads off already anyway or the long block out of the car by all means...do the valve seals at least.

Do a compression check for the rings also as it's cheap/easy...I highly doubt you've got a bad ring though.

How old did say those plugs were? Age and miles? Did you run those plugs at all before your mail order tune with any mods? Bad O2 sensors with those plugs?...that type of stuff could have caused a lean/rich condition that fouled the plugs all up. I just don't see how it could be burning much of you don't even lose a quarter or half quart at each oil change...are you going til the DIC says 10 percent life or less?

Last edited by 00Corvette; 08-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Millenium Z06

and if you're not burning a noticeable amount of oil each change, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have the heads off already anyway or the long block out of the car by all means...do the valve seals at least.

Do a compression check for the rings also as it's cheap/easy...I highly doubt you've got a bad ring though.

How old did say those plugs were? Age and miles? Did you run those plugs at all before your mail order tune with any mods? Bad O2 sensors with those plugs?...that type of stuff could have caused a lean/rich condition that fouled the plugs all up. I just don't see how it could be burning much of you don't even lose a quarter or half quart at each oil change...are you going til the DIC says 10 percent life or less?

Dryer too
Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

plugs are about 1-1.5 years old and about 40k miles. yes i had those plugs in b4 my tune. should i switch back to iriduims since that is what my tune is for? i got 2 new front o2 sensors ill be putting them in this week. my car is back together but i still have my intake manifold off as i am waiting for a oil pressure sensor. i change oil every 5k miles

Quick Reply: Do these spark plugs look right? oil on plugs. PICS