C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Carcrisis
Mike,

.......... You have to drop both fuel tanks from the car, and to do that requires loosening rear suspension components and moving them around to achieve the required clearance to remove the tanks..........

Carcrisis
Incorrect. ONLY, the mid 2003s and all 2004s require tank removal.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jackthelad

This fix is well known and well documented. Why are we still seeing discussion on this topic?
Because there is more than one thing that can cause fuel level readings to be incorrect or false. Deposits on the fuel sender "card" may not always be the problem.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Removal

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Incorrect. ONLY, the mid 2003s and all 2004s require tank removal.
Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but if the fuel sensors are in the two
tanks, how do you get them out without removing the fuel tanks???

Respectfully,
Carcrisis
Old 01-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Default Faulty Fuel Gauge

Originally Posted by thorvette
I used to commute between Houston and The Woodlands in my 98 when I got the exact same issue. I tried Techron, but that did not work. I started to look for other explanations and noticed that the gauge fel to zero at the exact same spot along the route, after about 50 mls of driving. This happened ove and over again. My conclusion was that there is a fault in the system that arises after a certain period of driving or based on miles. Explaining it I cannot. I just learned to live with it. I certainly do not believe tha any chemicals would make a difference.
If I completely fill the tank, after 40 miles down the road the gauge will drop to "E" every time. If I only fill it to 7/8th of a tank, the gauge will be fine most of the time. One exception, it fell to "E" at around a half a tank, once.

Carcrisis
Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but if the fuel sensors are in the two
tanks, how do you get them out without removing the fuel tanks???

Respectfully,
Carcrisis
The fuel pump access port (opening) on all C5s from '97 to mid-'03 is on the lower rear side of both tanks. Either pump out, or drain, excess fuel then unbolt the access plate (also called the fuel hat) and remove. The tanks stay in place.
The fuel system was redesigned sometime in '02 (for emissions reasons) and during the '03 model year a running change was made. The newer design, which carries RPO code "FFS", uses a top access port, requiring the tanks be dropped to service the pumps.

The C5 fuel system design has been the subject of MUCH discussion here over the last 10 to 15 years or so.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Because there is more than one thing that can cause fuel level readings to be incorrect or false. Deposits on the fuel sender "card" may not always be the problem.
My point is, first get the official fix done and then see if you have worse problems.

The drop to zero, followed by normal operation after a restart - which is what people are reporting, is the problem the fix is aimed at.

Or to put it another way - get the reflash done before you post the exact same set of symptoms it is designed to fix. And especially before you get into dropping the tanks and other major work.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:54 AM
Carcrisis
Instructor

Default Fuel Tank Removal

The fuel pump access port (opening) on all C5s from '97 to mid-'03 is on the lower rear side of both tanks. Either pump out, or drain, excess fuel then unbolt the access plate (also called the fuel hat) and remove. The tanks stay in place.
The fuel system was redesigned sometime in '02 (for emissions reasons) and during the '03 model year a running change was made. The newer design, which carries RPO code "FFS", uses a top access port, requiring the tanks be dropped to service the pumps.

The C5 fuel system design has been the subject of MUCH discussion here over the last 10 to 15 years or so.
Thanks for the clarification on that, LoneStarFRC!

Carcrisis
Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Thanks for the clarification on that, LoneStarFRC!

Carcrisis
GTH....
Old 01-07-2017, 09:10 AM
mzanetti
1st Gear

I top of my gas tank, after that i got a message service fuel system and check engine light came on, gas Gage dropped to empty what could be the problem?? any takes on this issue

Quick Reply: Fuel gage drops to "E" even when full.