C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Replacing A-Pillar Exterior Windshield Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
JD White
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Replacing A-Pillar Exterior Windshield Trim

My '02 Z06 has one crack on each plastic exterior A-pillar windshield trim. I gave a quick effort into searching for a removal/installation thread but came up empty.

Does anyone know if there is a thread on this already? Link?

I've already got the replacement pieces and have removed the 10 screws from the driver side door trim underneath the weather stripping. The plastic trim is evidently glued in place behind the metal framing rail from the bottom of the windshield all the way up to the top back corner of the door window.

I'm assuming just a heat gun and patience is all I have left?

- Jon

Last edited by JD White; 09-21-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
JD White
Racer

Anyone?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sorry I don't have the thread saved...there is one here though somewhere where a guy had his off and had to figure out how to re install and re seal them to put them back on I remember.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I've never personally had that piece off
Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM
j84buick
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 PM
bob22z06
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey..its real easy to take them off ..there's two parts in there metal strip and actual exterior plastic piece.. .there's few hidden screws , just make sure you get them all out before you start piling it off , all it is is just that adhesive that's holds them together ....i did it to both of my sides ...im in a process of painting the car...so good luck...
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by j84buick
Why me?

If it has already been a highly discussed topic, then chime in. This might be old to some but is new to others.

I ended up removing both pieces of trim and having a local glass shop install the new ones since they have the required tape and sealant glue. Well worth $75 to me.

Thanks for the other replies guys.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:25 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JD White
Why me?

If it has already been a highly discussed topic, then chime in. This might be old to some but is new to others.

I ended up removing both pieces of trim and having a local glass shop install the new ones since they have the required tape and sealant glue. Well worth $75 to me.

Thanks for the other replies guys.
chill out, the means "lurk" which means that he's waiting around to see the answer...
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
JD White
Racer

I'm not ranting, just making a point.

Simple misunderstanding, I thought it meant he's ready to watch the show.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It isn't complicated to do, but I followed the advice of someone who had a dealer replace one of his reveal moldings. He said the mechanic used 3M strip caulk, so I bought some and used that between the reveal and the body. I also bought some black gel adhesive from GM for the weather strip. You need to goop it up in the front where the weather strip turns under and has the push pins holding it. You also need the gel adhesive on the rear where the weather seal runs past the metal retaining channel down the door opening. There is a good description of where to put the gel adhesive in the service manual. There is a good thread on here somewhere but I don't believe I saved the link.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this is what I had read in this thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...l-molding.html

Here is the link the an older thread of a member who had the same problem but could not find out the problem. This is worth reading for anyone with a C5 hardtop:

saw him carefully take the rubber gasket from the chanel around the window opening and take off the metal channel described above...he proceeded to open a box of stuff he got from the parts department and I asked him what it was and he called it "dumb dumb rope"...it was a long pack of cord like strips of dumb dumb stuck together and he carefully seperated the lengths of the stuck together strips of dumb dumb rope and laid them out on a piece of cardboard...then he took the metal channel off and carefully placed a strip across the back(near but not at the top portion) of the channel where the chanel is against the door frame. he then gently pressed it on the channel to make it stay and then he carefully put the metal chanel back into the door frame and firmly pressed it against the frame and the stuff squeezed to near the top of the channel where it meets the frame and then put the screws back in and then carefully pressed the rubber gasket back into the chanel...At that time I asked him the purpose of doing him what he just did and he told me that what he just did would solve water from seeping in behind the gasket and behind the chanel and migrating everywhere. I asked him why he put the strip of dumb dumb near the top back of the chanel and he said when he pushed it back into place that he wanted the dumb dumb to be squeezed close to the top of the chanel to prevent any water from entering from that point down. He said he had stopped many leaking problems by doing what I just watched him do and that he was the only mechanic that he knew of anywhere that used the "dumb dumb rope" like he just did...he also said that he told GM several times of his procedure to stop water leaking from around the door and they just ignored him...(he also said another area of leaking was around the window where the glass presses against the rubber and that the window can be adjusted to make a better seal against the rubber gasket).
He also did the "dumb dumb rope "procedure on the frame against the windshield (windshield pillar)
Anyway I hope this may help you...it seemed pretty easy to do if you take your time and do it precisely like he did it. It can not hurt to try this procedure and may hopefully help...its a disgusting problem and I hope it helps...

BTW...my mechanic said not to use rtv or silicone because if you go to try to remove the channel in the future that you will have a terrible mess

Dumb Dumb Rope?
it is a putty that come in strips.we use 3m brand at work to seal evap cases back on firewall after evap.or heater core replacment.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
j84buick
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD White
I'm not ranting, just making a point.

Simple misunderstanding, I thought it meant he's ready to watch the show.
Yeah I was just interested in the subject. I think your thinking of the beating the dead horse thing which guys love to post around here.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the forum!
Perhaps this will help: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...l-molding.html
Good luck with your repair
Old 04-29-2018, 05:00 PM
JD White
Racer

Originally Posted by Route99
Welcome to the forum!
Perhaps this will help: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...l-molding.html
Good luck with your repair
Did you mean to post this reply to a different thread? You've resurrected my thread that is nearly 8 years old now.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing A-Pillar Exterior Windshield Trim

Quick Reply: Replacing A-Pillar Exterior Windshield Trim